Thrifty Car Rental / undeclared upgrade charge

1 Eppley AirfieldOmaha, NE, United States Review updated:
Phone: 877-283-0898

My business colleague and I were kept waiting to pick up our reserved car at the Omaha Thrifty Car Rental desk in Eppley Airfield terminal on January 26, 2009. The desk person apologized for our long wait and said he would put us in a better car as compensation for our inconvenience. Upon returning the car two days later, I discovered that he had charged us a $38/ day upgrade fee on our daily rate of $44. He had never told us anything about an upgrade fee. I spoke to the supervisor of the Thrifty operation by telephone, but he was totally unsympathetic, felt no obligation to remove the charges or to investigate the behavior of his desk personnel. I will never rent from Thrifty again and I urge anyone who reads this tale of woe to do the same.

Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

2nd of May, 2012

This scam is going on at Dollar and Thrifty .You tell them you don't want insurance but they sign you up and don't tell you that you have just signed a pad that acknowledges you want the pricey insurance. See our story at

Consumers need to fight back.Send us your story, we will fight this
    email us at investigativeguy@gmail.com

• Th
      4th of Dec, 2009

Do not use the Thrifty/Dollar Rental at Omaha's Eppley Airport. The owner "Molly" is running a total scam business. I have rented cars for over 11 years for work and personal and this is the only RENTAL FROM HELL story I have ever had! The van had over 60, 000 miles with horrible tires, transmission skipped off and on when in cruise mode, loose steering wheel, one headlight on bright the other dim, air bag cover on dash shook/vibrated the whole trip, inside seats and floor were stained, and there was a disgusting smell that they had tried to disguise with air fresheners - yuck. Then the con artist owner "Molly" played a little game of "well let see what I can do discount wise and I'll get back to" and then went and charged our credit card 3 times the rental fee! She is a very shady lady and doesn't give a crap about the rental customers. She is lucky that piece of crap didn't break down on us. There were no other rentals available that day, and when I rented this online, the picture of the van was a nice new van and said something similar would be what we were renting --- WRONG. This thing looked like it was straight off the junk used car lot. I was stressed and embarrassed the whole trip and then to top it off MOLLY the owner tried to fraudulently steal $1500 from our debit visa card. SHE HIDES BEHIND HER WORKERS AND WILL NOT FACE HER CUSTOMERS. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR BUSINESS. EPPLEY AIRPORT NEEDS TO KICK THEM OUT OF THEIR GARAGE AND ALLOW ANOTHER RENTAL TO BE IN THERE.

13th of Mar, 2009

I've had the same thing happen to me! They sent me a letter stating that I ran a 75 cent toll in Orlando, Florida. The letter was sent two and a half months after the fact and they charged a $25 administration fee. We paid all our tolls. I plan on calling to complain and hope that they waive the charge. It seems like they are doing this in hopes of getting that $25 if no one complains. Of course, you have no proof that you paid the toll since you just throw in your quarters and wait for the green light and leave without a receipt. But they have no proof either!

• Di
      18th of Feb, 2009

After having two incidents with Thrifty I am compelled to try and help someone else avoid what I experienced.

1. When I returned my car, the attendant swarmed to my windshield as if it was a shattered mess and pointed out a "crack". When I looked at it, it was literally so small that I didn't think anything of it until I was notified by mail that I was to pay nearly $250! The whole thing seemed like a fraud to me from the start. I imdediately went online and discovered that this is apparently how they operate. I managed to get the representative to remove the charge, but was left with the impression that they simply do this to capitalize on the number of people who do not contest the charge! To me this is fraud, pure and simple.

2. Two months after the rental we recieved a notice from Thrifty that we had ran a toll which was .75. They assessed a $25 admin charge on top of it. We never missed a toll and upon calling the representative he simply removed the admin fee without anything more than a question from me regarding the toll. I was, of course, happy they removed the fee, but again was left wondering how many people they actually get through this scam. Once again, this is "fraud" and leaves me so disappointed that a company chooses to operate like this.

Everything about this company feels like a scam to me and I would highly suggest you choose some other company. In addition, no matter who you choose to rent a car from, make sure you look over every detail of the condition of the vehicle before you accept it.