Thermador Oven / Don't buy Thermador products!

We have a built-in Thermador Model SC302TW convection/conventional double oven, purchased it in May 2000.

It failed almost immediately and was fixed at the end of June. It worked for a while, then failed again and was fixed in July, 2003, toward the end of the warrantee- only parts were covered. Soon after the panel grew too dim to read. They said they'd replace the panel again, but at our expense. So we use it without being able to read the panel.

Don't buy Thermador products.

Va

More Thermador Oven Complaints & Reviews

Comments

Sv
  29th of Sep, 2007

Randy:

According to your experience, and since my departure as a Regional Service Manager for Thermador, many of the policies and procedures have changed for the worse, probably due to the many cost cutting measures being taken by Thermador's parent company, German based, B/S/H/ (Bosch-Siemens) Home Appliances Corporation. It seems they are now managing Thermador much like German based Daimler-Mercedes-Benz, who recently destroyed Chrysler's U.S. based automobile business and then was forced to sell Chrysler back to an investment group, due to their mis-management. I fear B/S/H/ has done the same to Thermador, once a fine American manufacturer, now left with a tarnished reputation, due to the business practices of this German based appliance giant.

During recent service cutbacks at Thermador, some service positions that were helpful to consumers were eliminated. For instance, as a Regional Service Manager, one of my jobs was to work with dealers and consumers like you and make concessions and arrangement for repair of faulty products where needed, especially if the problem was a repeat, such as your oven display panel, which had a reputation for becoming dim over time.

Normally, within the first year of warranty, all repairs are covered at no charge to the customer. But, as you discovered, much to your disappointment, you were responsible for the cost of the repair, as no one at Thermador customer service was willing to work with you regarding this known faulty display.

I can only say that I am sorry to learn of your experience. The future does not look promising for Thermador if they continue to follow on this path of minimal customer service. Be sure to let your dealer or builder know of your experience and dissatisfaction with your Thermador oven and associated service experience.

In addition to a reduction in service levels, Thermador (B/S/H/ Home Appliances Corp.) has apparently started to close down their Regional Sales Showrooms, with the Boston/New England showroom and sales office being the first to close on September 1, 2007, according to ApplianceAdvisor.com. See the attached link.

Le
  25th of May, 2008

I purchased 2 thermador ovens a few years ago and both of them are lemons. The display panel has been replaced on both and everytime I self clean the ovens, they burn out and cannot be used again. I am miserable and have called thermador to see if they can assist me before I buy 2 more ovens. They were rude and unhelpful because" my year warranty has expired".

Ka
  23rd of Mar, 2009

Yes, whenever you use Self-Clean it will fry the display kit. Its a common and expensive problem. I have 2 units and replace each every year. The heat from the oven vents directly under the display unit.
Bad design...

The display kit is no longer available. The company that made it is out of business. You have to send the display unit and relay to CG Industries 1-866-737-2244

5th of Jun, 2009

10 minutes into cleaning my dual ovens the inside glass exploded. This has happened on both the bottom and top oven! Has anyone else had this problem?

So
  14th of Mar, 2011

Called customer service regarding parts for an older unit. What I got was what many consumer advocates in the business call 'customer no-service' . Was very surprised at their lack of responsiveness, concern, helpfullness... Definitely will not be fixing this unit and, instead of a multi-thousand dollar replacement (and maybe induction upgrade) I will not be replacing it with Thermador.

Ma
  2nd of Jun, 2011

We have a Thermador double oven purchased in August 2007. It had been working fine until 4/19/11 when we started getting a code F64 that prevented us from using the ovens. We have had 3 service calls to date and have had the fan sensing switch replaced and other minor adjustments. Thermador tech support told our serviceman that the problem rests with the speed of the fan and that the sensing device will throw an F64 if the fan runs over a speed of 3000 for even a short period of time. He was told that they now sense for 3400 and that will eliminate the issue. Result: new circuit board. I tried calling Thermador to complain because it looks like we are paying for their design change and I wanted some compensation. The board just came in and I don't even know how much this is going to cost - especially since they have to send 2 service guys to take the entire unit out of the wall. Thermador does not answer emails and when you call their number you immediately go into 'phone answering system jail'. None of the choices given are what you want. I just wanted to speak to a live body. After spending all of that money for the unit (not to mention the cooktop and vent) I am very displeased with Thermador and have let our architect and builder know (because that's where the recommendations came from).