theofficialyellowpages.com / Unauthorized billing

CA, United States Review updated:
I got a call at my work telling me I needed to "renew" the businesses' Yellow Pages ad or it would immediately be canceled. I was told that we currently had an ad, I asked who they were, they said they were The Yellow Pages. I informed the telemarketer that I was unable to make billing decisions, she said that was fine, they were only calling to verify the information was correct, and would fax me a form to proof and give to my boss to approve. I was then asked a series of questions, ending in something along the lines of "are you authorized to make billing decisions" and "do you agree to this?" I repeated that no, I was not, and the telemarketer said she couldn't send out the proof unless I said yes. I repeated that I as not comfortable doing so, she put me through to her "supervisor" who assured me that there would be no charges, and by agreeing to the questions I was simply allowing them to send me information which I could refuse at any time. I said "ok" to this, and received a fax, which I ran by my bosses, who of course denied it, saying they get those kinds of calls all the time. I wrote "DENIED" across the fake invoice and sent it back. Today I received a phone call saying I was "past due" and had verbally agreed to a contract. I asked to speak to a supervisor, he said he didn't have one, and that whatever the sales department said was out of his control. I asked to speak to the sales department, and he said they did not have an inbound number. Basically, it was, according to this "account executive", impossible for me to speak with anyone else. I informed him I felt that the business was shady and I asked what I should do to take it to the next level. He offered to blay back teh recording of my "verbal agreement", which I am positive does not include any of the bits where I say I am not authorized and they say I am not agreeing to any billing, and said if I wanted to get a lawyer that was up to me, and he'd call me in a few weeks when I'd calmed down. I am outraged! Has anyone had luck with just ignoring these people? Do I really need an attorney?

Comments

Ly
  22nd of Jan, 2009
I am being harrassed by them right now--we are at the point where they say they are sueing me for 3220.00 in NY & I'm in Colorado.

Before I go too far, are you there and what's your update on the issue

Lydia