TheDigitalExpo.com / Baiting scam

United States Review updated:
I ordered a camcorder from TheDigitalExpo.com, and was a bit surprised when my confirmation email said that I had to call an 800 number to confirm my order. When I called, the friendly guy on the other end of the line tried to sell me some high priced accessories (long life batteries, etc.) I said no thank you. The next day, I received an email saying that my order was cancelled, because of a backorder. I checked their web site, and it was still listed as available. I called customer service, and was told, by a not so friendly guy, that the the camera I ordered was the "European" version, which was out of stock (no mention of European version on web page), but that they did have the US version available for almost twice the price of the one I ordered (no web page for the "US" version at all). I declined. Thinking he must be mistaken, I tried calling back one more time. This time the guy I got was down right rude. They obviously just advertise the lower price so they can try to sell you other items at an inflated rate, and when you decline they cancel the order.

A  20th of Dec, 2006 by
Almost the same thing happened to me today. I called to confirm my order and the rude man on the other end of the phone said that the camera doesn't come with a battery (the website said it came with a bunch of stuff) so which one would I like. I said, just the camera. He said "how will you use it. You can't use it it doesn't have a battery so what one do you want?" I said, I'd get one later. Just the camera. He said "Oh. well...this camera is refurbished. Used and abused. Do you want this camera or a new one?" I said "New." He said "That camera is $200 more." (I can get a new one WITH stuff from other places for less than that.) He asked "Do you want to order THAT camera?" I said "No." He said, "Good! Your order is cancelled!....and then said "Have a good day."

Now I'm worried because he had my credit card info and will probably charge me anyway. I have to go to the bank in the morning and hopefully they'll help.
N  5th of Jan, 2007 by

TheDigitalExpo.com - Bait and Switch

I ordered a digital camera from these guys online. I received an e-mail telling me to call to confirm my order. When I called to confirm, they tried to sell me an extended battery for the camera. When I declined to buy the additional battery, they told me my camera order was cancelled! Obviously this is not a reputable merchant and I have since read other similar complaints. I would recommend that you avoid this merchant.
A  5th of Jan, 2007 by
The same thing happened to me as well. I ordered a camcorder, called to confirm, and a battery was pushed on me. I respectfully declined, to which I was verbally berated and told the camera was no longer available to me.

I immediately cancelled my credit card, not knowing if this individual could be trusted. Oh, by the way, I asked to speak to the manager and was told "you are speaking to the owner"!

This man should be in jail!
A  8th of Jan, 2007 by
We had a similar experience, except they also lied to us, threatening us with a 20% cancellation cost if we didn't make the purchase. When I tried to argue with him, he became insulting. Has anyone filed a complaint with the NY district of attorney? What they do cannot be legal...
A  9th of Jan, 2007 by
I had similar experience!

I tried to cancel my order with them but they were asking all questions about my credit card - how much I had in my account and what my limit was! I cancelled my card and my bank advised me to contact the BBB

I really want to take legal action against them. I filed a complaint, but I think if we all get together we can get them closed down!
A  11th of Jan, 2007 by
Absolutely Not Professional Business.

The guy hangs up on me 3 times when I tried to confirm me order.
The fourth time he answered a phone with a cold & sleepy voice "Camera is Sold out".

I tried to confirm with him about my credit card will not be charged. He hung up on me. Now I am just wishing nothing will be charged to my credit card. I will keep an eye on my Credit account.

Please advise if you have a way to stop this type of business.
A  4th of Feb, 2007 by
I was interested in buying a compact digital camera. I found that this company sells the canon SD800SI for $305. When I called the company and asked whether it was a new camera they said it is refurbished. When I mentioned that this is not indicted in their web site, they said that they do not have to do so. Also, they are not responsible for any defects. Once you buy it from them you have to deal with Canon. Therefore, this company is unreliable and unwilling to provide any support to their customers.

I suggest to NOT be tempted by their apparent "low prices". It is because they are selling REFURBISHED items" BEWARE!
A  8th of Apr, 2007 by
My experience was a clone of Ann Sterner. The mark up on their flash cards etc., is outrageous. Does anyone have an email address for these bandits?
A  17th of Apr, 2007 by
Unbelievable way of doing business. They put the lowest price on a product, telling you its available (not the words "in stock") and you use the CC# to order, then they call you back and put the HARD cell on over priced accessories (I turned them down) Then you have to call them back to confirm order (more HARD cell), they give you a order number and E-mail the confirmation. But wait they E-mail you later informing you it will be 6 to 8 weeks and they have canceled the order, please don't resubmit. Sounds to me like the old BAIT & SWITCH (isn’t that illegal?)