The Warranty Group / Circuit City Advantage Plan / LACK OF ACTION / PASS THE BUCK

1 175 W. JACKSON - 11th FLOORChicago, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-286-0470

This company acquired/assumed the Circuit City Advantage Protection Plans for electronics purchased from Circuit City prior to 2006.
My LG 42" DLP TV failed for the FOURTH time in January 2009, so I submitted a claim under the NO LEMON GUARANTEE. "if Your Product is repaired twice and it fails a third time, as verified by the Service Provider, We will replace it under Our NO Lemon Guarantee. Replacement products will be of equal or similar features and functionality".
The company has refused to honor this guarantee stating that I must provide evidence of prior workorders performed by Circuit City, even though I have provided claim numbers and dates that prior repairs have been done.
The company will not provide any direct numbers to call, only toll-free or fax numbers. Customer Service personnel consistently misstate the requirements of the warranty. Even though the Service Provider agreed he would not repair the TV without my consent, a company adjuster told him to repair it because "the customer does not have proper paperwork".
I have been lied to and deceived about how this claim would be processed (the TV had already been repaired in late February, even though during calls on 3/10 and 3/13 I was told that the 'NO LEMON' claim is pending and that an adjuster would call me.
I am expected to provide documentation that was never given to me (when Circuit City repaired the TV in our home they DID NOT provide copies of any work that was done). Such documentation was or should have been obtained by The Warranty Group when these contracts were purchased/assumed.

The Warranty Group / Circuit City Advantage Plan

A0

Comments

• Xn
      20th of Jun, 2009

I know how you feel. I had an Xbox go on me in August of 2008 and since it was still under extended warranty (by about a month) I sent it off to the repair center. Over two months later they finally sent me another Xbox which lasted about two weeks so I sent it back via the 90 day warranty that came with it. Well, months go by and Circuit City goes out of business. When I called Warranty Group I was told I would have to send them my broken Xbox, which was obviously impossible since it had been sent off for repair. The WG rep advised me to physically go to the warehouse which contained my Xbox and get it back...Okay, sure the warehouse in California (I live on the other side of the country). WG did not care that I could provide UPS tracking documentation, copies of the 90 day warranty on repaired items, all of my original receipts, etc. WG then wanted me to provide them with proof that I never received another repaired Xbox. I informed them that they should have access to all that information but they replied that they did not have access to all of the old computer records.
    I fail to believe that WG did not have access to all prior records, and if so, then that was poor business practice on their part.
    Anyways, the story continues but as it turns out I recently received a call from WG. Apparently they have trying to mail me a check but did not have my current address. I would like to know why WG changed their tune, perhaps someone filed a class action lawsuit?

• Th
      1st of Jul, 2009

My husband and I purchased 37" flat screen Sylvania TV on 11/24/2006. It was just about two and a half years old when it just stopped working, it just wouldn't turn on. Our extended warranty was valid through 11/24/2011. We figured we could call someone have it repaired and have no issues. However it was just the opposite. On April 14th, 2009 we made our first call. WG hired Sears who sent A&E to check the TV the next day. The repair man came out said we needed a new power board & it could be repaired. We were told we had to wait about two weeks for the part and then another two-three days for the repair man to come back & install the part. The part was on back order so it was several weeks before we heard anything. It turns out after the long wait, the wrong part was ordered, this one wasn't even for our TV. The man ordered another part on 6/2/09 and again the wait for the part and the repair man. We never received the second part so we waited and waited. In the mean time we called WG several times & Sears who transferred us to A&E back and forth over and over. Each time explaining the situation to someone else. At one point we were even told after making numerous calls that we had never called, there was no record. No one knew what was going on at any of the places we had to contact. WG hired another repair man through Showtime TV Services. The man was supposed to come out and instead called to get the TV information such as the model, serial number, and reason for repair . He ordered the needed part. So again we waited he received it and the he came out and installed it. He said it still didn't work. He took the TV with him stating he needed to look it over and work on it at his business. We call WG again and they stated they would send us a check because it was after 45 days at this point and that's when they stated they were required to replace the TV or send a reimbursement check. Then the woman stated she needed a diagnoses which apparently neither Sears nor Showtime had provided, so WG tells us. It seems odd to me that they would order parts without having diagnosed the TV. WG stated they'd have someone come out the next day to give a diagnosis and then the check could be cut. My husband made the woman three way call the man from Showtime to get a diagnosis. It was still a fight from there. My husband threatened a lawsuit, and we finally got our new TV over sixty days later. We asked if we were able to have the old TV back so that we could have it checked at a place that we chose now that the warranty was over and the WG said that was fine, we could do with it whatever we wanted. We called Showtime TV service and were given the run around and even hung up on. The repair man told us the TV was trash we didn't need it, a few hours later he said we could have it and then he called half an hour later and told us he needed to come and pick up the remote and stand so he could return it to WG. We called WG to verify and and they stated they never talked to him. We called Showtime again and told them all of what WG said only for them to then tell us the TV was destroyed and we couldn't have it back and then they hung up on us. In closing we too were given many different stories on how the policy would work and the repair status . We spoke to countless phone representatives. We even had one tell us it wasn't their choice to take on the Circuit City Warranties. It was an awful experience. It went on and on even more than described, if you could imagine that. We will never purchase en extended warranty again if it has the WG name on it and We will never use or recommend Showtime TV Service either.

20th of Jul, 2009

My name is James Galyon. I am apparently one of many who feel “The Warranty Group” has wronged them on one way or another. Anyone who believes they have a legitimate grievance against, "The Warranty Group" and wishes to file a class action lawsuit against them, please contact me at "angelhelp777@sbcglobal.net". I am not an attorney, but I believe an attorney would be far more interested in taking a case if he had an organized list of people who wished to file a class action suit against TWG. As we all know the attorney is usually the main one who benefits from these suits, but at least you will have the satisfaction of knowing "The Warranty Group" did not get away with it without paying a big price for their alleged deception and illegal activity. I live by the motto: "The best way for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."