The Skin center of north carolina / botched-up butchered quick-lift

United States, North Carolina, Huntersville Review updated:
The Skin center of North Carolina
16600 Birkdale Commons Parkway
Phone: 704-237--1160
I had a so-called Quick-lift in September and was told it was an invasive surgery that I would be okay in a few days. They ended up butchering my face. They drugged me with 3 ativan and God only knows what else, cut my face in places that I was not told about in the consultation, sewed my ears into my face with no earlobes, then sent me out the door with my daughter helping me to car with my legs about to crumble due to the drugs as quickly as they could get me out according to my daughter. My face was swelled and bruised beyond belief and when I went back a week later I told the nurse about my complaints and she said you had a major facelift. This is false advertising. It was not a Quick-lift. They said my face would be better in a week or so. The bruising was so bad and the swelling that I could not go back to work for months. I called Briggs Cook who shouldn't be even labeled a doctor and told him of my misery and that I wanted my money back. He acted like he was considerng this but wanted me to meet with his so-called consultant which he probably picked her up at a sales counter at Sears at his Winston Salem, Nc office. She took pictures and I never heard from them again! I have suffered mental and emotional agony and my bones in my temples and cheek are still swollen 6 months later! I went there with hopes of appearing younger and healtier looking and came out looking older and totally despondent over the situation. They do their little advertising on TV and these people that do their advertising saying they look ten years younger obviously are paid people. Please do not suckered into this false advertisment. They are liars taking people's lives and emotions for their $5000.00 a pop, acting like they are going to pay for your motel room, by the ways a sleezy motel which you in the end are paying for it. Briggs Cook is a board certified eye doctor only, not in plastic surgery. He needs to stop ruining people's lives and I am sure he and his family are living high on the hog off of other people's misery. BEWARE OF THIS! PLEASE!

N  28th of Apr, 2009 by
Did you follow all the post op procedures? Did you go for your follow up visits? There are many things you need to do as a patient to ensure your success. Instead of slamming this doctor on the internet, did you try and talk with him?
A  26th of Sep, 2009 by
I have to agree with the above complaint. Dr Cook is not a good plastic surgeon. If he has to make a decision out of the ordinary, you better watch out! He also has a terrible bedside manner. I have talked with other board certified plastic surgeons and they take pride in their work. Cook is in it for the money only.

I had the upper eyelids done and Dr. Cook wanted to remove a mole around the eye area in the process. In doing so, he make the incision outside the fold of my eye and a big scar formed that is visible. One prominent plastic surgeon told me what Dr. Cook did to my eye was wrong. The nurse of another board certified plastic surgeon said they never cut in the area where Dr. Cook cut on me.

Again, do not go to Dr. Cook to save money like I did. There are qualified Board Certified plastic surgeons in Charlotte who do wonderful work and care about their patients!

Stay away from Dr Cook! This man is not qualified to cut on your face!!
D  6th of Oct, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
If Dr. Cook had placed the incision in the fold of my eye, the scar would not be so noticeable. The board certified plastic surgeon told me he should have NEVER cut on me where he did...and he still could have removed the mole without the butcher job.

As far as follow up, both the complaints on this board involves follow up visits. Dr. Cook said if he fixed my scar, there would be no guarantee it would not result in an even greater scar.. in other words, I was out of luck.

The nurse of a reputable board certified plastic surgeon told me they have to fix botched plastic surgery jobs from ophthalmologists. Go to a real plastic surgeon people!

A real board certified plastic surgeon will be more expensive but you will not be gambling with your outcome and a reputable board certified plastic surgeon will not only guarantee a better looking outcome but a LONGER LASTING OUTCOME!!

Stay away from these ophthalmologists!!
D  14th of Dec, 2009 by
Dr Cook is an oculoplastic surgeon which means he has more training in the eye area than a full body plastic surgeon. He did my eyes and they look amazing!!! I really wish people would be educated before slamming someone on the internet!!!
D  15th of Dec, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

Of course Dr. Cook has training in the eye area BUT He does not have the specialized training of a Plastic Surgeon. Where he put the incision in my eye was WRONG. A highly trained certified plastic surgeon would have known not to do what he did to me! This leads me to believe that Dr. Cook does not know many of the obvious techniques particularly in dealing with face lifts. By the way, a plastic surgeon that many of Dr Cook's nurses speak highly of, told me the difference in his (Plastic Surgeon) face lift versus someone untrained such as Dr. Cook, is that he (Plastic Surgeon) implements procedures whereby the surgery will last longer!!!

Sure, go ahead and use Dr. Cook. You MIGHT have a good outcome OR you might have a bad outcome such as the complaints on this page. Why have that nagging uncertainty in the back of your mind? Just do your research on a reputable plastic surgeon and put your mind at ease! Pay the extra money and you will know for certain you are in good hands!! It is worth the extra money!!
N  16th of Dec, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I am not slamming Dr. Cook. I am just telling the truth.
N  18th of Feb, 2010 by
Lynnie315 can either be the Dr. cook himself or an assoicate of his. If she isn't, then she most lkely may have gotten better surgery result from Dr. Cook. This most likely do to the fact that Dr. Cook had used many patients to gain and sharps skills that he didn't have when he operated on all people.
Just because Dr. Cook is an oculoplastic surgeon have nothing to do with plastic surgery. Oculoplastic is doing surgery to the eye (people with eye diseases, etc) and this is not plastic surgery. Please don't confuse the two together. SOme oculoplastic surgeons are trained to do plastic surgeries, but not all are. Anyone can be called oculoplastic surgeon with as little training as 1 year. But in order to belong to the prestige board of oculoplastic surgeons, the doctor must have extensive training of at least 2 years by a very senior oculoplastic surgeon.

As for Rennee333, I agreed with you 100%. My heart goes out to all the victims of botched surgeries.
N  23rd of Feb, 2010 by
This is Dr. Cook and I would like to respond.

The Quicklift is a modification of traditional techniques and is well documented in plastic surgery literature. The procedure elevates both the skin AND underlying SMAS layer. The additional components commonly performed with the Quicklift are an upper and lower eyelid lift, liposuction on the neck and jowls, and lateral subcutaneous brow lift. The Quicklift in no way is meant to be a fast procedure, nor is it meant to be a cookie-cutter procedure. Each patient's surgery is different based on location of desired improvements, skin and deep muscle quality, amount of extra tissue, and so forth. The results are also variable based on procedure, skin quality, age, nutrition, smoking, alcohol consumption and so forth. The same is true for any facelift procedure.

I have built the Skin Center of North Carolina from the ground up into one of the premier facilities in North Carolina for eye and facial plastic surgery. We take great pride in providing the absolute best care for our patients from the first visit. We hope to have patients return over time and to become lifelong friends as well. We care about the experience patients have with us and want to be very honest in what we( and I ) can and can not achieve through surgery or other non-surgical procedures.

We perform many facial rejuvenation procedures and the overwhelming majority of our patients are very happy. I do everything I can to give each patient special, individualized attention, as well as manage their expectations. I have personally reached out to this patient to try to assess her specific issues. It is always disheartening when patients's results don't meet their expectations, but we strive to provide exceptional patient care, discuss realistic expectations and convey the risks to the patient prior to their procedure.

It is very important for every patient to work hand-in-hand with his or her surgeon to achieve the best results possible. It is very important to follow the post-operative instructions and to keep all post-operative appointments.

Although I have personally reached out to this patient to return for post-operative visits, she refuses to follow up with our clinic. It is important to keep in mind that the key to successful correction is to have open communication and discussion of specific concerns. An open forum, such as this, cannot provide a real or practical solution for the concerns you have expressed. I would encourage you to schedule an appointment and take the next step in addressing your concerns and working toward the improvement you desire.
Dr. Cook
D  27th of Mar, 2010 by
In April 2009, I became aware of the complaint about Dr. Cook (on this board) after I scheduled surgery for a mini-lift in May. I immediately brought it to his attention and made an appointment to discuss my concerns. He and his staff answered my questions respectfully and I left feeling confident in Dr. Cook's ability as a surgeon.

A mini-lift involves a cut that begins just inside the hairline at the temple area and ends at the back of the ear lobe. I was not mentally prepared for the wound care that each side of my face required. It was not a pretty sight for at least 5 weeks and was pretty disgusting to look at. There is not a cell in my body that wants anything to do with taking care of wounds; mine nor anyone else's. And I was really concerned that the 100's of sutures were going to leave very noticeable scars, especially around the ear area.

The reason I had surgery was to reduce sagging jowls caused by aging. I am 52 years old. The improvement in my jowl area is amazing and was noticeable immediately after surgery. I can say the same about the crows feet that went from my eyes all the way into my upper cheek area. I loved the way the jowl and eye area looked, but for months was concerned about the redness of the scars.

My fears were unfounded. 10 months later (March 2010), I love the way my face looks. It's the best money I have ever spent and Dr. Cook did an excellent job.

JW, MBA, Master of Divinity, Certificate in Clinical Pastoral Education
A  1st of Apr, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
@lynnie315, You are absolutely wrong. Oculoplastic surgeon do not have much training for comestic eyelid surgeries. They are trained to treat eye diseases and do surgeries to remove tumor, etc.
N  1st of Apr, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Here is one of the premier plastic surgeons in Charlotte NC. The surgeon is one of the nicest doctors you will ever encounter. You can tell by speaking with him that he is a true artist and takes pride in his work. Watch the videos of his extreme makeover. The man is in a class by himself.

There are other good plastic surgeons in Charlotte.

N  2nd of Apr, 2010 by
I have another link to offer for those looking for reputable plastic surgeons.

I have seen the work of the plastic surgeon in the link below. He does wonderful work!

(Run your cursor over the link below (select the link) and copy and paste the link in your web browser)

N  4th of Apr, 2010 by
Watch this video from www.beautifulresults.net

Listen to his explanation of his credentials: He is double board certified. He completed 5 years of general surgery followed by 3 years of plastic surgery; but most importantly, he is an artist!

The doctor from www.onlyfaces.com is also an artist. I saw a patient of his that had undergone extensive facial plastic surgery. You name it and they had it done. There was not one indication of anyone cutting on his face. I could not see any indication of plastic surgery. Not one scar and he looked so natural! It was unreal!!!
N  28th of Jun, 2010 by
I would like to post that I have two accounts on this page. My user name is Susan321 and Renee333. I lost my info for Renee333 so I created another account. It appears that I am trying to portray more than one person but that is not the case.

Dr. Cook continues to get unsatisfactory and horrible reviews but he has them taken down. I am not the only unsatisfied customer. The reviews not only showcase his lack of technical knowledge but also his extremely poor patient care.
N  28th of Jun, 2010 by
I had the procedure done Feb-2006 and now one side of my face looks sunk in. I would not recommend the procedure or Dr.Cook. I could have got a complete face lift with a great plastic surgeon for what I paid for this procedure. Buyer BEWARE.
N  2nd of Jul, 2010 by
Surrygirl, so sorry you trusted Dr. Cook.

I have to add one more complaint against Dr Cook as a plastic surgeon. An artistic and reputable plastic surgeon will try to maintain your looks. You only want to appear rested and maybe younger...you don't want your looks to change completely. Dr. Cook makes you look like an entirely different person. Thank goodness I am not a public figure because my surgery is noticeable. People would just stare at the enormous difference in my eyes.

Some people may want to look different and don't mind the change in appearance but with Dr. Cook, you don't have the option of enhancing your looks without changing your appearance.

Just one more consideration in your research to find a wonderful plastic surgeon in Charlotte NC!
N  6th of Sep, 2010 by
Dr. Cook did a beautiful job for me.
A  19th of Oct, 2011 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Dr. Cook did a "Thread Lift" on me in 2005. He told me I was an excellent candidate and promised good results. Within a few days after my lift, I was up all night with excrutiating pain on one side of my face above my ear. I was in tears. After several phone calls to his office and multiple pleas for help by my husband, I was told to come back to his office...which was 2 hours from my home. When I got to his office it turned out he had sutured the barbed thread either to a nerve or pressing on a nerve. So, I had to have another procedure, under local anesthesia, on that side. I felt every pull, snip and tug. I was so upset about this and the fact that my lift produced no noticeable results that Dr. Cook "gave" me a free "Thermage" treatment on my neck. I should have known when they did not want to take any "after" photos that it was not the end result I'd paid $5600 for, nor what I was told to expect. What a waste of my time-now my neck skin where he didthe "Thermage" treatment is much lighter than the surrounding skin and is more crepey and wrinkled than it was before he touched it. I had "thread lift " threads placed on my forehead, cheeks, and neck and within one year of the lift the neck barbs came loose from the tissue they were supposed to be tightening...now they stick out and can be seen and felt under the skin-not attractive. The other threads also started showing thru the skin a short time later. Now I wonder how I could have been
so stupid as to let an eye doctor do this to me. I have tried over the past 4 years to contact Dr. Briggs Cook with no success. Now I see he has a new office and a new "Quick Lift" to offer unsuspecting women-Dr Cook, watch out. I will be contacting you for a full refund! Trish Tesh
D  18th of Apr, 2013 by
Dr. Cook did a great job for me, and he has continued to be supportive. His staff is par excellence! True, another plastic surgeon might have done a good job for me, but i only needed a "tweak" or two, and the prices I got from plastic surgeons were twice the cost--maybe three times the cost! Plus, I would have had to take a month off from work, as my close friend did who came out with swelling and bruises. For me, Dr. Cook was a perfect fit. For you, you need to get all the information and above all, follow up with your doctor. Take a look at Dr. Cook's curriculum vitae. He has excellent training--not just in eyeballs! :-)
D  10th of Jul, 2013 by
I find it hard to believe that you had the experience that you describe. I researched the LifeStyle Lift and any information I could find regarding Dr. Cook prior to having the procedure. I had the mini-lift two weeks ago. Tiffany gave me all the information I needed before the surgery and after the surgery I realize that she gave me 100% accurate information; so did Dr. Cook himself. I try to keep an open mind when I hear complaints like this, but being a Customer Service Supervisor for the last 25 years has taught me quite a bit. Most of the time when customers are complaining, such as yourself, there is more to the story. I've found that it is usually personal and involves the customer, not the procedure or the situation. Not to mention that most people will usually only complain when they are uphappy, whether the information is accurate or not. I feel bad for this customer because I think they are troubled inwardly. Please don't take this out on other people. It doesn't sound like you even gave the practice a chance to assist you with your complaints. I have no regrets with my procedure and I am still healing. Don't expect miracles when no one involved offered a miracle. They offer an alternative to the way your skin looks now, and they have been honest with me about what I can expect. Being that Dr. Cook and his staff are doing nothing more than helping others, you should be ashamed of yourself.