The Simple Way to an A / Deceptive return policy

1 Van Nuys, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-977-8537

In radio ads, the company offers a guarantee of of improved grades or your money back. Written policy posted on web site (not seen by me before purchase over the phone) is for a 32-day money-back guarantee. However, I was told over the phone that they would take the product back unopened after the 32-day window. Return period window begins on date of order, NOT date of receipt, so you have about three weeks to try it. If you call them during the return window period, however, they attempt to convince you to give the product more time to work. Then, once the 32-day window is up, they refuse to accept any returns.

Product is overpriced and not unique. "System" they sell is the same one my son learned in public middle school, just in fancier, more colorful packaging. When I sat down with my high school sophomore and looked at the overview and instructions (which are available without opening the sealed consumable materials) we quickly recognized that it was the same system he had been taught in public school. Except that the note cards and pages are pre-printed and come in fancy colors, and have copyright logos on them.

When I attempted to have the company honor their return guarantee on the unopened materials, they refused. Since I was still being charged on my credit card, for the remaining installments, I threatened to contest the charges. I was told to go ahead and try, as they had just hired a full-time person to do nothing but fight back against customers who attempted to contest the credit card charges. This tells you where the company's priorities lie.

The Simple Way to an A is not a reputable company. If you are a desperate parent trying to help your child any way you can, you may fall victim to their advertising and marketing the way I did. Rather than pay them $373 for a notebook organizer, some note cards, note pages and a CD on how to use them, I recommend you buy unopened copies on eBay for less than half of what Simple Way to an A will charge you. Then, if it doesn't work or you child isn't interested, you won't be out so much money.

Md

More The Simple Way to an A Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Tn
      20th of Jun, 2009

This above review and comment are totally accurate- I am a teacher who "fell" for this scam. Do not waste your money!!

• Sc
      22nd of Jul, 2009

I agree completely with the above. My story:

I ordered "Simple Way to an A" and due to a family illness, was unable to use the product in a timely fashion. I called the company, explaining the situation, and requested an RMA number.

They refused.

I offered a 25% (i.e. $100) "Late Return / Restocking" fee (my term, not theirs) and they refused; instead, hiring an aggressive collections agency to call me repeatedly.

Despite the lack of an RMA number, I returned the product anyway, with a letter of explanation.

The harassing collection agency calls continue.

I am now in the process of a filing a formal complaint with the State AGO office, Consumer Division, to get these folks on notice.

My recommendation: Hire a tutor; don't use this company or their product.

• Sc