The Place Furniture Galleries / Disappointing company, poor merchandise and service

1 1640 Broadhollow RdFarmingdale, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: (631) 843-9393

I was looking for a nice bedroom set for sometime and finally found one at the place. I dealt with a nice salesman and I decided to purchase the entire set and left my deposit. The furniture was delivered and on the surface looked to be ok. After further examining the pieces there were scratches and chips on numerous spots. They sent a tech out only to tell me that they can touch up the chips and that the dresser was cracked along the entire bottom. Many of my draws were also off the tracks and some needed to be fixed. To sum it up I have had 3 new dressers delivered because of problems with EACH one and to date I am STILL waiting for them to replace a drawer that was chipped and order several times but each time the drawer was delivered, it was damaged. Don't they check these things before sending them??? I have been dealing with the problems and the run around from this "place" for 14 months now and it is UNACCEPTABLE. I have taken numerous days off of work to sit around all day and wait for people to fix things and all I was ever given was a $100 gift cert. that can't even buy you a vase in that store. I have never in my life had such a bad experience with furniture, a company, and the customer service department. Think twice before you spend a lot of money in this store!!!

Va

Comments

• Da
      3rd of Apr, 2008

I ordered a couch back in February and the sales woman told me that I will recieve this couch March 10th, March 10th came around and the couch was still not in...I waited unitl the end of the month I called back and they told me that it will not be shipping out of China until April 30th. They told me to go in and pick out a new couch and they will work with us on the price. I told them I would not pay anymore money I ended up walking out of there spending an extra $300.00. They told me with the new couch they will push the order through. I spoke to them today 4/3 and they told me that it wont be here until the end of the month. I will NEVER go back to them again. I dont recommend this store to anyone. they have horrible service and they tell you one thing and when you call or go into the store the story always changes. I am fighting now for my money to be refunded.

15th of Jun, 2008

I would never buy from this company again... i purchased a leather sofa and chair from them back in August of 2007... in 6 months, you would think my father had it for 40 years. the cushions were so flat and out of shape, i could of cried, i called the company, they sent out a tech, he told me, , oh thats the shabby chic look!! ha! i wanted to die, i said it sure is shabby, my hubby and i are the only people who sit on it, i weigh 120 pounds, the end of the sofa is so flat its like a pancake, the chair is actually pulling and streching and so flat, they sent out a guy to put a little filling in it. they would not even do the sofa, needless to say, THIS COMPANY STINKS! AND THEY ARE NOT NICE when you call, i will never buy from them again, anyone who goes there should have their head examined, THEY HAVE POOR POOR QUALITY. I WANT OT CRY OVER MY FURNITURE, AND IT WAS NOT CHEAP, they need to be put out of buisness!

23rd of Aug, 2008

we ordered a bedroom set, couches and a writing desk from The Place back in June..We knew about their lousy delivery policy, so we ordered it early enuf so that it would arrive by August, when we were moving to another house. Lo and behold, we moved and of course the furniture was not in, as promised. Also, they give away gift certificates called " place bucks" to a lot of disgruntled clients but when you try to use them, they give you a very hard time..We saw a clock that we liked and the manager agreed to give it to use for a dicounted price of $150. We then told her that we had $100 in place bucks and we would pay for the rest. She then said that if we were going to use the place bucks then the price could not be dicounted. We would have to pay the original price of $300-$100 in place bucks=$200 for the same item that she was ready to sell for $150. The place bucks mean absolutely nothing..It is a bunch of crap. even though this store has some nice furniture, I would never buy from them becuase of their lousy delivery and store policies. And I agree about the manager - she is extremely rude, does not know how to deal with people, and is stupid and stubborn when it comes to running a business. As a small business owner i know how hard it is not only to win a client but also to retain them. She truly turns people away..Good luck to the owners of this store!

• St
      2nd of Oct, 2008

We ordered furniture for our bedroom. Paid cash and thought we got a good deal. Furniture arrived and guys that put it together were great. They left and about a month later the drawers in the dresser broke. Took them 6 months to get me the parts. Couldn't figure out how to install them myself. Took them into customer service and they said they couldn't help me because it was an outside delivery people. I asked for them to call them and to send me instructions on how to remove the broken parts and fix it. They couldn't do that. It's been 3 years and have 5 broken draws still. Sad thing is that my husband went to school with one of the owners, and even that didn't get me anywhere, . DO NOT BUY FROM HERE.

• Ju
      5th of May, 2009

Hi, I'd like to introduce myself, I am Julia Jones the New Customer Relations Manager for The Place Furniture Galleries. I was hired because ownership is committed to developing a new 'World Class' customer service department. The entire department has been overhauled with new policies and brimming with highly motivated customer service representatives, dedicated to serving you. I know in the past we have fallen short of your expectations but ownership has heard your complaints and is responding to your needs. I would like anyone interested to know that I am making every effort to contact Mr. Barnes but as of yet have been unsuccessful. I will continue my attempts because I want to invite him to the store in order to meet with management and ownership. We would like to personally extend our apologies. Our only desire is to resolve the past in order to build a new relationship together, for a better future.

Julia Jones
    Customer Relations Manager
    The Place Furniture Galleries
    1640 Broadhollow Road
    Farmingdale, NY 11735
    (631) 843-9393

6th of Jul, 2009

My furniture was delivered in October of 2008. The unprofessional, delivery men hired damaged the beautiful furniture, that I had taken a second job to pay for, and damaged my hall wall, that I recently had painted. The damage is very apparent! Three service techs
    were sent out. A gentleman was sent out took take pictures and confirm the damage to the wall and furniture. I was tolk by the manager in Carle Place that I would get a new set within 1 month. . . at least 25 document phone calles...Carle Place closed "lease reasons?" I am now dealing with the main office in Farmingdale... 15 document phone calls. 5 times " Its on the truck, will call you Friday to set up a delivery." After the 3rd, " Its on the truck", the office manage, said she was going out to lunch and would call back by 3,
    never heard from her. My husband called and ...the result was the 4th and 5th " Its on the truck." Well unfortunately, I had all this patients because I had a lot on my plate, many illnesses in the family and hospitalizations. July 5th, I went to the show room in Farmindale, and the manager told me that there were four people also waiting for the coffee table, I had been told all along that that was in stock! After a few minutes of looking through the computer, he said he would be in touch with me by Tuesday...His explanation, "The furniture has not left China, yet! AS I LEFT THE STORE, I CHECKED IN A MIRROR - "STUPID" WAS NOT POSTED ON MY FOREHEAD, SIR. SO LET ME HELP YOU OUT---- I FOUND A SHORT ROUTE FOR THE FURNITURE TO GET TO ME QUICKLY, FROM CHINA, VIA ASHLEY FURNITURE THE MANUFACTURER... Now, Julia Jones, Owner of the Place Furniture - lets see what you are going to do! I'm sure Fran, Richard, Tyesha, Conrad, and other office menber can give you my phone number!!! I would love nothing more than to
    post." JULIA THANK YOU problem solved, I wish I spoke to you from the begining...
    There is no great advertisment than word of mouth-"People hear the good, but remember the bad."

7th of Jul, 2009

UP DATE FROM CTA
    I called the store on Monday...I was left hanging on hold by the store
    manager, F, I kept calling- F, finaly got on the phone, after I became
    upset. Again, a lot of bs. I told her I wanted my money back, she said fine. Get this, its been a year of bs, give me your credit card and the original receipt, I'll send the truck out to pick up the furniture .

I told her lets schedule a pick up day, I will make it a point to have someone at my home to let the movers in to take the furniture. I will come to the store, I don't care if I sit there for a five hour window, when the delivery men call you, to tell you that they have the furniture on the turck, you can refund my card.

No. I have to wait until it arrives at our warehouse. Then I'll issue you the credit the next day. Ï repied, lets see your been jerking me around
    for all this time, you are dishonest, on your best day, and I'm supposed to believe you. Sure you'll have my receipt, the furniture and I'm going to trust you.

Well she got loud, nasty, and crude...

TODAY: I called to follow up with the general manager, R.H. I said to him you said you would call me bay 12 and it is past that so I decided to call you. He replied that he was short staffed and had to help out on the floor. He said he didn't get a chance to look into things but would do so and call me back by 3. He called back at 2:55. Apparently, he spoke to the office staff regarding me. He said they all responded that I have been so patient, and soft spoken, but that they other day I was very upset and spoke loudly to the operator, J. But that I called back and appologized twice to him. J is a sweet heart, so are the other workers in the office. The general manager, RH, had a whold different attitude with me then. He was professional-he checked things our and
    relized how frustrated I was. R.H. gave me his word, he is was an old school gentleman. A few of the neighboring stores said he was a gentleman. I have come to realize that F, never gave him any messages. And that all the time she said he would not take my calls
    was another bs.

I WILL KEEP YOU UP-TO-DATE

7th of Jul, 2009

R.H. ASSURED ME MY FURNITURE WOULD BE IN ON THE 17TH OF JULY AND I WOULD BE CALLED TO SET UP A DELIVERY. HE ALSO SAID I NEED NOT DEAL WITH FRAN ANY LONGER AND TOLD ME TO CALL HIS EXTENSION DIRECTLY IF I NEEDED ANYTHING ELSE.

I BELIEVE HE IS A MAN OF HIS WORD. I THANKED HIM. AND SAID,
    "ALL I WANT IS MY FURNITURE."' I HOPE I CAN POST SOMETHING AFTER THE 17TH SAYING THIS WAS ALL RESOLVED. I ONLY HOPE THAT F, ENCOUNTERS SOMEONE AS UNPROFESSIONAL AS HERSELF ONE DAY.

• Kp
      9th of Jul, 2009

DO NOT BUY HERE!!! We ordered a couch here and were told it would take 6-8 weeks for delivery. 10 weeks later we still don't have our couch. After calling and leaving several messages with no return calls, we finally got someone on the phone, Fran, who was totally useless. "I don't know what to tell you" was her response. Their customer service is terrible and we will never buy from this company again. And we will tell everyone we know to go somewhere else.

31st of Jul, 2009

I think all you people have some sort of mental defect. You all must be miserable nasty people to post such nasty things about such a nice store online. And I love how you all are so quick to post something nasty, but when things work out and you are satisfied you never post one nice word about how the store finally helped you. I ordered all of my furniture from The Place, and they did all they could to help me. They are a wonderful store and everyone their did their very best. I feel like people never post good experiences, only bad, and I just wanted to post and say all you people are miserable, get a life and stop being so damn upset over furniture. There is much more important things to worry about. You know everything will work out eventually, is it worth having a heart attack over?? Be happy about living life you miserable freaks.

• La
      10th of Aug, 2009

I am in the process of getting my couch - I ordered it April 18th with a 8-10 week delivery scheduled. It is now August 10th and no couch! They don't even know WHEN it will be ready for delivery. And they don't even apologize about it. All I get is the runaround when I call and the ONLY person apparently who can tell me about this couch is a woman named Joanne who is NEVER there and when she is, never calls back. I have called and asked to speak to someone other than her and get attitude. Why is it that only ONE person in a whole store can tell me about my couch? I feel like I am being scammed here. 4 months?? I will probably be moving to another apartment by the time it comes! This is RIDICULOUS.

• Wi
      11th of Aug, 2009

I have had the same experience. I ordered my couch and loveseat, Dining room set and table pad on May 24th. I was told the table pad would be delivered to my house in three weeks. It is August 11th and still no pad. The furniture was supposed to be in in 8-10 weeks. The dining room set is in but no pad. The loveseat and couch won't be in for another 3 weeks or so. We had left numerous messages for someone to call back. Finally this Joanne called back and once I told her I wanted cancel the whole order I was told I can't cancel the dining room set because it was shipped to their warehouse within the timeframe. So now I gotta take the table. However I still don't have my table pad. We will never go through this company again and will deter anybody from going here. They are unbelievable!!! Let's hope this Joanne sticks to her word and I get my table pad in 7-10 days.

• De
      16th of Oct, 2009

This is all very interesting. No wonder the Carle Place store closed. I went in to that store during the summer and saw a game table that I liked. It was priced at $1, 100. For $1, 100 I wanted to know what it was made of, what kind of wood it was, what the surface was. The salesman had no idea. He went to check and while he was gone I was running my hands over the surface which felt like a faux paint treatment. He came back and told me that the surface was granite. As I was then in the process of redoing bathrooms, I was very familiar with the feel of granite. Stone is cool to the touch. This was warm. There was no way that this was stone. I left.

This week I went to the Farmingdale store to look for a sofa. Seeing one that I liked, I asked the saleswoman who was the manufacturer. She didn't know (it does seem like these salespeople do not know much about the products that they are selling, doesn't it?) and went to ask. She came back and told me "Rackford" and invited me to take pictures of the sofa which I did in order to show my husband. The manufacturer did not sound familiar to me so I looked them up on the internet. As far as I can tell, there is no furniture manufacturer by that name. Not only did she lie, but when I was writing it down, she actually told me how to spell it!! I cannot believe that I would be expected to spend close to $2, 000 on a sofa and not be entitled to know the quality of its manufacture. What is that about? Since when is it such a secret? Would anyone buy a car and not want to know who the car maker is? How do I know if it is made by a reputable company? I am glad that I didn't buy from this company. Two out of two times they were untruthful. However, if I am wrong and anyone has heard of the company Rackford, please forward me a link to their company.

21st of Nov, 2009

as someone who worked in the furniture industry for over 30 years as a salespersonand manager i am sadened and very bitter when i see what happened to this industry . first and foremost the owners of the stores are to blame those greedy ### open 7days aweek and pay ### commissions what you the custiomer do not under stand is that in order to make 50000 per year you must ship one million dollars a year . now concerning the place they do not pay there bills there fore they go on credit hold and do not get shipments .jesus christ could not be in customer service with conditions like that
    imagine work nights weekends holidays for 50000 if you ship one million
    which maybe 3 on a raymour flan agan floor of 40 will do its more like 35000
    you will never get professional people to work for that

i swuggest go on line and buy and put these miserable ### out of business
    also never pay cash

• Gg
      16th of Dec, 2009

We were promised a 2-3 week delivery for a dining room set we ordered over a month ago. With no idea when the set will ship or arrive I was told this past Monday it would ship on Tuesday to get a call from the manufacturer on Tuesday saying he has over sold and I won't be getting it for a month. I called The Place and they told me there was nothing they could do but they had a different set that was just like the one I ordered that they could have by Monday. I went into the store to see the set and it was NOTHING like the one I ordered. So I get another call stating that they supposedly found a set and it will be shipped within two days and I will have it by Friday. I was supposed to get a call confirming this today so at around 3 after no call I called them. She told me this time that I SHOULD have my set by Tuesday. I told her that is just too late, I don't believe them anymore after WEEKS of being lied to and I wanted to cancel the order. I was then YELLED AT and BERATED by the "manager" Patty Daly. My co-worker could hear her yelling at me through the phone. She told me to I needed to just wait and that they are keeping up their end of the deal by delivering before Christmas. She wouldn't let me finish a sentence and then HUNG UP ON ME. Tomorrow I will be making a trip to the store to speak to her manager. Not that I think they will do anything. This is probably the worst shopping experience I have ever had. No wonder they are going out of business. I wish I had found this side before I placed my order.

• Lo
      4th of Jan, 2010

Obviously LAURA P, you are the one with the problem. Either you work for them or are related to them, because there is no other explaination as to why you are so hard up on these peoples' legitimate complaints. Why should I keep getting the run around since March of '09 for my daughter's bedroom set. "OH it's ok darling, it will all just work out, you don't need a bedroom set, just sleep on the floor" are you kidding me! There are plently of other stores that actually DO practice good customer service, and had I known I would have used one of them.
    So instead of making fun of other peoples' legitimate complaints, just post your "why can't we all just get along" comment, and leave the rest of us alone.

• Ha
      19th of Jan, 2010

sorry laura p your wrong. All the others are right on the money and with the 350 I spent for delivery you would figure the truck would have a tail gate lift so the delivery men wouldn't have toss my bedroom furniture off the back. When these guys left the condition of the furniture seemed to be ok but the more time I spend with it the more the dings and scratches became apparent. I even discovered a large crack underneath the footboard rail. There was a lot of cosmetic touch ups going on here and it is coming off on my dusting cloth! The furniture is well made and at one time flawlessly beautiful but poorly cared for by either the delivery men or the persons who store these things. When I pay 5 grand for something I expect service with white gloves not service with disdain. As for what you mentioned about having a heart attack over this you dont get the point, this is not for the sake of venting it is to educate others to avoid such headaches. Con grates on your success with these people to bad we dont share your sentiment.

• Ap
      1st of Feb, 2010

I ordered my couch from THE PLACE furniture store in Farmingdale, LI on 1/1/10. The sales rep Khan Mohammed told me that the sofa sectional was located in Brooklyn and would take between 2-3 weeks for delivery only because there were orders ahead of mine. I questioned his rigorously regarding their delivery promises because I have heard of the horror stories, but he assured me that sofa was in their Brooklyn warehouse. 3 weeks later, no sofa. I called customer service and they advised me that it would be another 2 - 3 weeks because the manufacturer (Primo International) is located in Montreal Canada, so it takes that long for the shipment to get here. Bull (I work in logistics, I know how long it takes to get from Montreal to Brooklyn - 2/3 days TOPS). I called again a week later just to check on the status of the order and was told ANOTHER 2 WEEKS!!! So now, 2-3 weeks have become at least 6 WEEKS. . . . This place have nice stuff at a great price, but if you have a high tolerance level for bulls**t, lies, and promises, and don't mind waiting months for your furniture, then by all means, buy from them, otherwise I would advise to stay FAR, FAR away from THE PLACE. . . . .

• Cu
      1st of Feb, 2010

I agree with Mr. APREM!

• Je
      2nd of Feb, 2010

BE VERY CAREFUL OF THIS STORE THEY LIE ABOUT WHEN THE FURNITURE WILL BE TO YOUR HOME AND WHEN IT DOES ARRIVE AT YOUR HOME BE CAREFUL ABOUT THE DELIVERY PERSONAL. DON'T LET THEM USE YOUR BATHROOM, I DID AND THE WORKER WENT IN TO MY BATHROOM DROPPED HIS PILLS HE SAID HE WAS TAKING FOR PAIN AND PROCEEDED TO PULL MY VANITY AWAY FROM THE WALL DAMAGING IT. NOW I BEEN CALLING FOR THE LAST FEW DAYS AND THEY DON'T WANT TO HEAR MY COMPLAINT OR DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. SEEMS THEY HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THE WORKERS AND THEY CAN'T BE RESPONSIBLE AS TO WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THEY ARE IN YOUR HOME. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY AT ALL THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHERS ON ROUTE 110 THAT WILL BE MORE THEM HAPPY TO DEAL WITH YOU.