The Landing at Otter Cove / Terrible experience

The Landing at Otter Cove in Thorne Bay, Alaska is not worth your time or money. Chad and Myra Remington do not treat their customers equally, nor do they know how to run a lodge. They do however charge for every little thing, such as freezer bags ($12.00 for 25 bags) and bottled water ($14.00 for a case). The price per person is so high you could stay at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City. The 15 minute skiff ride to Thorne Bay is very dangerous, especially at night with no lights on the skiff and small 15 H.P engines. My hunting partner and I ran ashore one dark night because we couldn't see where we were going. The generator that runs the electricity is turned off during the day and shut down at 10:30 at night, so when we got back from hunting we had about an hour and a half to eat shower and charge up whatever we could. We had to charge our cell phones in the truck daily.

If you are going to hunt or fish on the Prince of Wales Island stay on the mainland. When you stay at a floating lodge, when the toilet is flushed the waste goes directly in the water, don't eat the crabs where you stay. If you want a great boat and Captain to fish with, call Quiet Cove Excursions (Red Edson) I wish we had known all these things before we went, we could've save over $2000.00 for 10 days. Hope this helps you plan your next hunt of fishing excursion to Prince of Wales Island.

Va

Comments

Ro
  17th of Dec, 2008

I absolutely disagree with everything that has been written as I never saw Chad and Mara be anything to anyone but the most hospitable and generous hosts. The prices for everything are clearly stated on the Lodge's website so I do not understand where the confusion about having to pay for them comes from. If you did not want to pay for the bottled water at the lodge which was very convenieant, you should have purchased it a the grocery store in Thorne Bay. The skiff ride is a great part of the Alaska experience and I remember one of the first things that Chad told us when my party of three arrived on 10/14/08 was that if we did not feel comfortable with the boat ride or if there were any issues what so ever that all we need do was call him on the lodge supplied VHF radio, the same radio mind you that all guests are given and that he would come get us. Safety is a very important issue with both Chad and Mara. The generator was never a problem with not only my party but the other 3 parties that were at the lodge when we were there as you get up in the morning the generator is on, you get your coffee, you ate, took a shower and went either crabbing, hunting or fishing. When you returned in the afternoon there was 12volt lighting if needed and all appliance are gas powered therfore eating or taking another shower was never a problem. It was true that the generator was turned off most evenings at 10:30 PM but we also found that if you arrived back late from your excursion that you need only ask Chad if the generator could be left on a short while longer and he was more than happy to do so, this went for everyone at the lodge not just us. As for the cell phone issue, as far as I am concerned there is none as I did not go to Alaska to worry about cell phone service. We were able to get a signal most of the time if you stood on one corner of the lodge and you did not move much or at the boat dock in Thorne Bay. We gave all of our families the lodge number should there be an emergency and any of us needed to be reached other than that we were there to have a good time and that is exactly what we did. We fished during the day and hunted in the evenings. We brought back to Florida 4 fish boxes full of fish and crab. Chad was an excellent Captain and knew exactly where to find what ever kind of fish we wanted to fish for. The Quiet Cove Excursion boat operated by Red Edson was available during our trip but we chose not go with him as he had no electronic equipment other than a radio that worked and in Alaska if you cannot see the fish on the bottom or more importantly your surroundings via radar should the weather change your'e in trouble. My party took 1 bear and had ample opportunities to take others had we so chosen to. In closing if you are wanting to stay at a resort do so, but if you are wanting to go to Alaska and enjoy the experience at a resonable price then the Landing at Otter Cove operated by Chad and Mara Remington is a great place to do so. In fact I return in June but this time I am bringing my wife and another couple that too enjoy just being in the outdoors with nothing better to do but fish, hunt and enjoy our surroundings.

Ch
  17th of Dec, 2008

We are the owners of the lodge and do not appreciate the comments left above. We had a wonderful season but unfortunately, you cannot please all of your guests and there is always a guest or two that you cannot make happy no matter how hard you try. This was the case of the two hunters above. From the start, they were displeased over a $54.00 bed tax that the City of Thorne Bay had imposed after their booking. One of the hunters paid it behind the others back and from that point on, things got worse. After a few days at the lodge, they were upsetting other guests and being quite rude to us as well as our maint. man.

Like any pre-arranged trip, the two were given an invoice were cleary stated what was/was not included in their package. There were NO hidden costs. I spoke several times on the phone to one of the individuals and let him know what we did/did not have available at the lodge and the prices we charged for items. They in turn, shipped two larges boxes via the U.S.P.S. to the lodge prior to their arrival. If the price of vacuum seal bags was such an issue, they could of brought their own. The bottled water is available for thier convenience at the lodge. They can also buy it at the store, in Thorne Bay, if they choose. We do not have a problem with people bringing their own items to use and they were told this.As far as the prices being too expensive, they purchased the trip knowing the cost. There were no added costs once they arrived. I'm not sure what to say about this other than they knew all of this far ahead of coming to the lodge.

We do not recommend traveling back/forth in the dark by skiff. They knew that they were staying in a remote location and they knew what time it got dark. They knew this prior to coming to the lodge. For that matter, they knew all of this when they booked the trip. They continued to come back/forth well past dark, generally getting back to the lodge at 11:30 p.m. when it would be dark by 8:30. This was their own agenda. They ran ashore yet they were equipped with flashlights and I believe headlamps. ???

Our main generator is turned off at 10:30 p.m. but a smaller generator keeps our freezers and lighting in our main lodge on throughout the night. The cabins are equipped with back-up lighting as well as battery operated lanterns. The cooking stoves are propane thus you can still prepare meals. The only thing you cannot do is "charge a cell phone, etc." If only they had asked, they could of plugged in a "cell phone" or silimar item in the main lodge. We had other guests do this and it is no problem.

We take pride in helping each and every one of our guests to have the most enjoyable time they can while they are staying with us. We believe that each guest may or may have his/her own needs while they are staying with us. We try our best to accomodate them, whether it is leaving on the generator later one evening for a "late night dinner party in the lodge" or to charge a phone during the night when the main generator is down. We also make sure that they know exactly what that will be paying BEFORE they arrive. We do not believe in hidden costs or in "sneaking" charges onto the invoice.

Chad & Mara Remington, Owners
The Landing at Otter Cove, LLC.

Ge
  20th of May, 2010

What Rob said!
Good grief what were these guys expecting? Chad and Mara and for sure John were the most gracious hosts I could ever imagine. I was never surprised by any hidden expenses. Everything was pretty straight forward and there was never any fine print to worry about. My family and I are planning our second trip to The Landing at Otter Cove, and to think, we almost let Owen’s letter of complaint talk us out of the first one. With the exception of the mythical “glory hole”, a top secret fishing stream existing only in the recesses of Chad’s mind (I only added that part in hopes that he will see it) their local knowledge and information guided us on countless adventures. Safety was their top concern. I had a bear tag burning a hole in my pocket so I went out early and stayed out late most nights and I do not believe they ever turned in before I did. I highly recommend that everyone who likes the out of doors spend some time at The Landing at Otter Cove and get to know Chad and Mara. It just might be the time of your life.
George Reid
a repeat customer

Ka
  14th of Jul, 2010

I have no idea what these people are talking about but my husband and I went to the Landing at otter cove. It was without a dout the best vacation we ever had. Chad and Mara were the best hosts. They helped you in anyway they could. We are going back next year. I guess these people just want something to complain about. It is the greatest place to vacation. We have been many places and this is without a dout the best place to go if you like the outdoors.
Karen King

Om
  18th of Aug, 2010

The guy who wrote this negative comment is a total clown and an idiot. He didn't even register at the lodge with his real name. He pretends to be some type of psuedo sports writer. Anyone who runs his boat agound at night must have been drunk. I just completed my second trip with Mara and Chad and I could not be happier. All of the positive comments are right on. I was there for two weeks this year and returned with four boxes of silver salmon and halibut. Unfortunately one bad comment can overshadow all of the good ones. I am whole heartedly recommending this lodge to everyone who is interested. Ernie

Co
  2nd of May, 2012

I just read this article, and although I'm weighing in rather late, better late than never! What a farse! I guess that's what you get from an uncensored internet. Anyway, seditious liable is not an overstatement here, because Chad and Mara are great hosts. My son and I were looking for the least expensive, self-contained, remote location, to fish for silvers, and we found it at "The Landing." The only thing I can say is that the place was as perfect as one could expect, and there were no hidden costs. As for bottled water, the yahoos who complained of $14 per case, ought to try swimming to Thorne Bay Store, where they could get it for maybe $10 - whooptie-doodle-doo. Anyway, if you want great fishing, frozen fresh almost instantaneously, unmatched scenery, and such a feeling of independence it will make your heart leap, then go to the Landing. If you want to hunt with a dork, try the next five star lodge where you'll pay $5000, and you just might meet-up with Mutt and Jeff to share complaints :)