The John Lyons Library / Deceptive business practices!

I recently ordered a book from the John Lyons Library. They immediately started sending more books when nowhere was this mentioned at the time of ordering the first book. After buying three books, I started returning them to sender unopened via USPS. I have now received threats to be turned over to a collection agency for a product that I returned. There is absolutely no contact information on the invoices, so I have sent letters along with the invoice telling them the book was returned. I have even left my phone number on these letters, yet no one has contacted me and I continue to get threatening letters. This is very upsetting to think my excellent credit may be marred by a poorly managed company with absolutely no contact between departments. Any suggestions on how to get a hold of these people, and get them to stop insulting me with their letters is greatly appreciated. I find it completely dishonest for them to expect me to pay for an item I returned to them.

N  13th of Sep, 2007 by
I had the same problem. I ordered a series of three books. I got the first two and started getting everrything but the the third book. I got abosolutly no response from them except for their complaints about payment for books I had sent back. The John Lyons Library is licensed to provide John Lyons publications. They are not directly affiliated with the Colorado group. Finally got it resolved when I called the very nice customer service folks in Colorado.
Toll-Free 877-564-6596
Office 970-285-9797
A  17th of Nov, 2007 by
I'm having the same problem with John Lyons Library and their sloppy record-keeping. I subscribed to the library, kept the first 2 books sent to me, and then cancelled my subscription. My cancellation was acknowledged by Tanja Bethea, Customer Service Manager. I received one more book, but returned it immediately via USPS. I am now receiving notices that I owe for the book I returned from a Timothy H. Cole, Editorial Director. I have written to him three times, but the notices keep coming. I am wondering if Mr. Lyons realizes that horsemen out here are getting tired of his firm's failure to communicate internally?

Sherry in Louisiana.
A  20th of Nov, 2007 by
I paid for 4 books and then canceled my subscription after my horse died. They sent me another book that I returned to them, Now I keep receiving notices that I haven't paid for it. I told them again not to send anymore books, I have no use for the books now. I received another book today which I am also returning. Very bad business ethics.

I am having the same problem with their magazine.

Darlene in California.
A  23rd of Nov, 2007 by
I keep getting books , sent a complaint back with the book but no receipt sent back
to me . They sent a letter to say they are going to send in to collection agency. I
wrote letter with threat of reporting to better business bureau , the letter stopped but now they sent another book. I tried the number on this site. No way to leave
message, probably because of holiday.
Let me know what I can do now. I have a book I want to return but afraid they will
not credit me and keep sending bills.
Amanda from california
A  14th of Dec, 2007 by
Holy Cow! Me too! I thought I was ordering one book... but more kept coming. I kept and paid for 5 books but didn't want any more. I returned the 6th book unopened just like y'all did. Then when a bill came for me to pay for it, I noted on it that I had returned it unopened and wanted to cancel receiving any more books. I got another threatening letter to PAY. There's no way to contact these people other than by letter. I'm going to try the phone number I seen in one of the comments prior to mine.

I don't want this on my credit record!
N  8th of Feb, 2008 by

The John Lyon's library - Unsolicited book shipment!
The John Lyon's library
New York

I have had the same problem with the John Lyon library, I also subscribe to his magazine which has a phone number, they gave me the number of the home office where they agreed to stop the letters and shipments. The number is 1-800-424-7887.
A  20th of Mar, 2008 by
I am having the same issue, I have told them I returned the book and now they are talking collection agency. I have very good credit and want to keep it that way. and yes they say to get in touch with them, but no ph# anywhere...
A  22nd of Mar, 2008 by
I can see that I am not alone with their unethical practices. They can send all the threats they want. I am not paying for books I have sent back. I too am going to get a hold of the BBB. Thanks for the phone number also. I will try that first.
N  25th of Mar, 2008 by
I have recently found a ph# 877-699-3273 for customer service.They were very friendly and helpful.It just took a long time to find the number.Try it and maybe they can help you too.
N  3rd of Jun, 2008 by

John Lyons - Billing for returned unwanted books
John Lyons Library

I have the same problems with john lyons library, i did order book one on horsemanship, then i received book two that was not requested. However, it coincided with book one1 so i accepted it even tho i did not order it.

I then received a third book, which i did not even open and wrote return to sender on the box, placing it in mailbox that same day.

I have received incessent billing from john lyons library. I wrote letters to both addresses advising them of this. I receveived more demands for a book that i did not accept.

I sent john lyons library two more letters, one to each adress, and made copies for my files.

Last friday i rceived another letter from the library, whereby i went to the post office personally, and demanded they return any mail from them back to them.

I will never buy anything from john lyons library as i feel they are a dishonest company and told them so in my letters.
A  14th of Aug, 2008 by
Thank you Neva King. With the phone number you provided for the John Lyon's Library I was able to end 6 months of billing in five minutes.
A  14th of Aug, 2008 by
Thank you Neva. I just had my problem of several months solved. You're my hero!
A  2nd of Sep, 2008 by
Thank you everyone for your help. I finally was able to talk to a customer service person and was able to stop the billing and books!
A  30th of Apr, 2009 by
I too have had problems with getting threatening letters from Timothy Cole and A. Thorne, Publisher. I have paid for all the books that I received and sent none of them back. However, the check for the last book they sent appeared to have not been properly credited and they keep sending me form letters threatening to turn me over to a collection agency. I too had not been able to find any contact information other than an address. I wrote a letter to Timothy Cole, including a copy of the cancelled check that they deposited months ago. All I got in return was another, more threatening letter. I don't think this is the kind of publisher that Mr. Lyons wants. Thank you so much for the phone number. I will give it a try.