The Intuitive Writing Project / Misrepresentation of charge card

1 United States

After being hounded for weeks by an Amex representative, I was eventually persuaded to get an Amex Business Gold credit card for my nonprofit. I told the Amex rep up front that we have no money and need a credit card that allows us to pay for things slowly over time—and yet she insisted this Business Gold card was the card for me. Although the rep spent an hour taking down my information (my first bill wasn't even mailed to me because she got the address wrong—despite 3 rounds of correcting her), she never once mentioned that this Business Gold Card was actually a charge card, not a credit card. I never would have signed up for a charge card. And yet, there was no mention of it, nor is there any indication of it on the card itself. In a world of credit cards, I think it was highly unethical to let me assume I was enrolling in a credit card... only to discover (having charged all our expenses on it) that it's a charge card. While we could have paid down the balance on a credit card, we can't afford to pay the charge card. This is a gross misrepresentation and an abuse of non-money-savvy consumers like me. I thought I could trust Amex. Clearly, I can't. None of us can.

Ti