The Grant Instructor / Telemarketing Fraud

1 NV, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-235-1364

I was at The Grant Instructor sight and agreed to pay $1.95 to access information that they advertised and there was absolutely no company policy that lead me to believe that there was any obligation other than the $1.95 that I authorized on my VISA card. I now understand that I was scammed by a company that was only looking for people's credit card numbers to bill monthly at $49.50. When I received my first credit card statement, this company, The Grant Instructor, charged me not once but twice in the same billing cycle. I have been running a business for 21 years and I have never seen such slimy business practices.

Comments

• De
      27th of May, 2008

This is a SCAM!~

and NOW I understand how they do it!

I got ripped off too, called to complain and cancel, and got the person at the head of the company after talking to a call person for a while and getting useless standard replies. Of course, they won't give anyone their money back as you read above...

What they do is to have TWO application form windows. The first one looks innocuous:

The second one is where they catch you, it loads when you hit "Submit Order" on the first page. Suddenly the same-looking page with name and address info comes up BLANK again, so the applicant, irritated, retypes the information without really noticing the bottom of the page (circled here in RED):

Now they have their excuse to charge you indefinitely until you cancel, which of course most of us will only see once it shows up on the credit card statement, usually well past the 7 days!

No matter what, I am definitely fighting this one! This is clever consumer deception that they should not get away with.

BY THE WAY: I got their address from a fake "scammer alert" website. They have setup the same information on several legitimate looking websites, for example:

• Ti
      4th of Jun, 2008

File a complaint with Nevada BBB at
    www.vegasbbb.org. It was easy and quick.

Also file a complaint the with Nevada State Attorneys Office at http://ag.state.nv.us/complaints/complaints.htm

The more consumers that take action the better the results.

I filed with both agencies today regarding deceptive trade practice and unethical business transactions.

I am going to fight this one.

• Ki
      12th of Jun, 2008

I fell for this too!!! Never even got a link to look at anything and was lead to believe there was no other obligations either until I got my credit card. I guess sooner or later thanks to people like this, replicable companys will be hurt too! This is really slimy and not to mention a major rip off. Then to top it off I find the number to call them on this fraud site and fight with the lady on the phone. You live and learn.

• Da
      14th of Jun, 2008

I just received my credit card statement with the $49.50 fee. I am going to cancel and fight as well what a joke. What comes around goes around.

21st of Jun, 2008

Yep..me, too. Except I didn't wait for my credit card statement. I had used my debit card because if there's a problem, my bank will immediately halt the transaction. After the purchase, I was sent to a login page, but no opportunity to register for a login id/password combination. I smelled a rat. I went to the site I had saved on my harddrive once I purchased but didn't hit "ok" yet...no phone number...hmmm...the rat was rapidly decaying and stinking to high heavens. I got ahold of my bank and said "stop the madness!" They cut the debit card off, immediately issued a new one, and fedex'd it to me to arrive within 3-5 days. Whew! Now, all I have to do is dispute the 1.95. Now, THAT I can deal with. Good luck all and stay on top of this one.

• T
      31st of Jul, 2008

thank you guys, this post freaked me out and I cancelled my card and had a new one instated. I am honest like all of you trying find a way to start my own business... amazing.

• Da
      20th of Aug, 2008

I did not realized what had happened uuntil today when by chance I saw a 49.50 charge. Same as everyone else here. There should be more to do to stop this outfit.
    I will e mail bbb and ag.state office

• St
      20th of Aug, 2008

Yeserday after putting in my name, telephone number and address I decided to google GRANT INSTUCTOR SCAM and lo and behold I saw that it was a scam indeed. Lucky for me I had not given them my bank information and verification code they had requested. I received a call about an hour after and informed the person I was not interested but a few minutes ago ( a day later) I received another call. I decided to turn the tables asked for their information and the customer service employee gave me some silly address that had a four digit zip code. After requesting it again he gave me a different address and then mumbled that he didn't know the zip code and would have to ask his supervisor. He then returned to let me know that they were not allowed to give that information. CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT!!!???? They want my personal information but refused to give me their address. The supervisor got very upset with me after I told her that I knew they were scam artists and she started to argue with me asking why did I go online for a grant then. Of course I just hung up the phone. She was trying too hard to convince me to give my information even after I told her of the bad publicity they had and the fact that they are scammers. There she was telling me that W BUSH (not George W Bush) applied and got a loan... so what if he applied and got it? Hurray for him.
    Before accepting these too-good-to-be-true offers just google the culprits names with the word scam behind it. These people are not as slick as they think they are. When I told him to send the check to my address instead he said their policy is to grant these loans electronically... little thieves.

23rd of Aug, 2008
    The Grant Instructor - Decptive trade practice
    Grant Resource Guide
    GrantSearchGuide.com

Ordered a free CD on 8/16 for $2.95. As of this date, still have not received same. However, a charge for $49.50 appeared on my checking statement and was discovered when the running balance did not match the "available" balance. No product was ordered for $49.50 and the bank said if it came through they would have to (depite my request not to do so) pay it after which I'd have 60-days to dispute the matter. The Grant Instructors's address is Suite 866, 5348 Vegas Drive, Las Vegas NV 89108. They have a phone tree which is not navigable by means of the instructions given. My bank is on notice, I left voice mail for the above inscrutable entity and you now also have the info. On Monday, the office of the atty gen. in Talahassee FL will also have it. I'm on VA disability and would like to find some legit way to start a risk-management firm (I have a CPCU and the experience to back it up) but I will not put up with a scam-artisit-boilershop like this one.

22nd of Sep, 2008

I have received 85 calls from these jerks in less than 22 days, all calls were logged with time and date, I was advised to take them to court for harrashment by a federal judge. He says they will have to pay at lease 5, 000.

So keep track of the calls and follow suit, after they pay out a couple of million I think they will get the hint.

• Fa
      29th of Sep, 2008

Yeah I'm going through the same thing. Thanks to these jerks putting through this unexpected amount of $59.08, checks to my daughter's preschool are probably going to bounce. I hope this company and these people feel real *rappy
    about messing with peoples lives. I live pay check to pay check and can not afford to have this happen. Now I have to go through my bank to dispute this charge and they will probably still make out with my money. It's rediculous what this company is getting away with!!!

• Wy
      12th of Oct, 2008

I search every information that I could to get this Las Vegas, Nevada company's name, address, and telephone number. I had paid them $1.95 for the CD, but I never received it. Now, I am being charged $49.50 within two months for no reason. I going to the bank and withdrawal what I have left and close down my bank account before I get scammed for another $49.50. The bank or myself will called this Grant Instructor LLC scamming company to cancel this situation immediately. I may have to file a complaint to them soon. I am jobless and cannot afford being financially robbed by this nonsense. I WISH the Grant Instructor LLC, 5348 Vegas Drive #866/3155 East Patrick Lane Suite 1 (to streets addresses sound awkward), Las Vegas, Nevada, 89108 or 89120, Manager Michael Nielson should GO STRAIGHT OUT OF BUSINESS REGARDLESS, STOP PUTTING PEOPLE'S MONEY INTO THEIR OWN POCKET, AND IMMEDIATELY GIVE BACK THESE STRUGGLING PEOPLE'S MONEY BACK WHERE IT BELONGS!!!

• Ro
      11th of May, 2009

I just got a call from Grant Instructor and nearly gave out my credit card for the $2.95 charge for postage they wanted. They informed me that was the only cost to me. However, before I agreed to pay it and give out my credit card information, I looked it up on this site to see that it was a scam. That alone, stopped me from making a mistake. I want to thank everyone for their comments. This will undoubtedly prevent others from getting scammed.

• Fr
      27th of May, 2009

Hi,
    A received a call...the woman persisted and pushed me to buy this. I dont give not my credit card number out to just anyone, they have to be a legit business. This precaution saved me! Sorry everyone else who got scammed! Thats terrible! I just got off the phone with these people(on May 27, 2009)the females name was Amanda and she said it was legit.she gave me her ID #155 and said it was called "The Grant Instructor" the address was 97401 in Eugene, OR. Customer Services #1888-891-6780. Open Monday through Friday 9am to 5pm Central. I hope someone is doing something about this scam.. so here is the info I was given. I was unable to get more info from the woman.
    After I refused kindly..she rudely told me to disregard all the info given, and to not give out to anyone!! Please if you can do something about this.. please feel free to use my testimony. Also, if you ever get anything in the mail..tell the company to send it to you UPS COD..this ensures that you receive your package and then you write a check to them which UPS takes. I hope this helps!

DaisyValencia

• In
      9th of Jul, 2009

I just went and looked at these guys and then looked at their terms of service, I found this:

"
    2.0 CREDIT CARD AUTHORIZATION AGREEMENT
    Buyer gives TheGrantInstructor permission to charge buyer's credit card (as provided by you) for upfront fee's including shipping and handling. Buyer agrees that upfront fee's and any shipping and handling fee's are non refundable. Free trials are only free during the initial ten day free trial period. Buyer also authorizes TheGrantInstructor to charge Buyer's credit card for all monthly reoccurring amounts. Monthly platform enrollment is billed in the amount of forty nine ninety five monthly. Monthly platform access can be cancelled by simply contacting our customer service number provided on our website, www.thegrantinstructor.com or in your welcome email and stating your desire to discontinue enrollment or participation. Such charges should appear on the periodic statement sent to you by the provider of your credit card. Buyer's non-termination or continued use of the service beyond the ten calendar day free trial period reaffirms that TheGrantInstructor is authorized to charge buyer's credit card.
    "

How much clearer do you need this to be? Why don't you read? Do you believe in God? Then you believe that He gave you eyes to see, no? Well then why don't you use them? Are you mentally deficient? If you are incapable to check in on this stuff before pulling out your credit card, then you don't deserve your money. I hope all of you lose every last cent you have and starve to death, I'm so sick and tired of the government having to enact more regulation because you're too stupid to protect yourselves. ###s.

LESSON: Don't blame other people for your stupidity, you act like this company robbed you on the street. You agreed to those terms when you clicked the "submit my charge" button. YOU did this to YOURSELF, suck it up and wipe your tears. Stop being ###ed

• Fr
      26th of Jul, 2009

hell yeah. its scam..they just called me like 10 minutes ago and they like trynaa get my ###*n credit/debit card for shipping and handling because they going to sent the package regarding the grant that i need and you know what!! she's a pinay...i was like to my self wtf shes pinay, she's staattrin tryin too ..i know its a ###in scam so i take a look at their website its not even their own website its like somebody so i google it then yeah...hella people complainin about that...

it was relly funny when they called me they hella wanna get my credit/debit card number info..

hahahahaha..

uck u---F

grant instructor...

so never sign for that or give ur information anyone...

peace

MC Royal

Fritz roy Puno

fremont CA

• St
      1st of Sep, 2009

Dudes i just got called from this [censored] company and was 2 seconds away from giving my credit card info, then i decided to google search the company's name. Well this was the first result from google among many like it. SCAM! just wanted to let you know i had some words with the ### on the phone. She tried to act nieve but she knew it. I hope everyone at the company gets sued so they all take the hit. I freakin hate scammers. just wanted to say thanks for the heads up tho! this site is definitely helping others out !!

7th of Sep, 2009

you've never follow the instructions...they providing you 7 day trial to have access to the website after that 7 day you will be charged for monthly fee for continued access to the website. there are no obligations, commitments or contracts whatsoever...all you have to do is call the customer service number 1-888-276-8105 with in the trail period and you won't be billed for monthly membership...

7th of Sep, 2009

visa card, master card, discovery card and AM EX they will not doing business with them if they are not completely legitimate..

you should aware with the consumer protection act of 1986

7th of Sep, 2009

most people don't want to pay anything for a program or product without knowing what it is going to work for them. that's what make their offer great. they are going to let us try the program for free before you are charged anything, that way us can see how the program will work for us before paying anything.

they giving free 7 day trial and after that there will be a monthly fee that begins. however, if some reason to chose to discontinue your membership at anytime. but they look forward by the end of the 7day trial there will be no other charges or cost aside from the shipping and handling.