The Executive Professionals / Overpriced scam

1 8880 Rio San Diego Drive, Suite 375San Diego, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 619-325-0899

The company markets its products disingenuously and does not deliver the services it promises in its contract. It portrays itself as a complete end-to-end career services firm, but it's not. All it does is provide you with interviewing tips and a new resume. I was most interested in three services they offered: 1. Defining your career path (they gave me a Myers-Briggs test you can obtain for free off the Internet). 2. Assistance with salary negotiations (when I received an offer through my own efforts before I had engaged the program, my counselor told me it sounded pretty standard and there wasn’t anything he could do). 3. The marketing campaign. Their website states that they will “identify job opportunities” and “create a powerful marketing campaign” for you. This is simply a lie. They don’t identify job opportunities for you, and they refuse to do so if asked. And their marketing plan doesn’t exist. They gave me back the questionnaires they asked me to fill out and told me to go network. Does that sound like it’s worth thousands of dollars?

They will tell you to talk to everyone you can think of, but they completely remove themselves from that process. They will not help you to identify individuals you should be talking with, help you obtain the contact information for those individuals, or locate open positions. They also will not apply to open positions on your behalf. I already knew that networking was the best way to get a job. I didn't pay thousands of dollars to hear it from them. They purposely describe this "marketing plan" using ambiguous and vague terms so that the customer can’t realize how little value their services are.

Most ridiculous were their service levels. I was literally made to force my career adviser to do anything for me at all. After four months, my first career counselor told me that he was retiring. That was a lie – I found out later that he works for the Taylor Wingate Group across the street. My second counselor only stayed with the company for a month and then he left, too. The company never even bothered to tell me that he had left or to provide me with a new counselor. I was emailing someone that wasn’t even there! All the while, the time left on my contract grew shorter. My third counselor wouldn’t respond to my emails and requests for assistance. The only time he would communicate with me was after weeks had gone by and I had complained and sent reminder emails. When I confronted him, he deliberately lied to avoid responsibility by claiming that his emails must have gotten lost in the network or been re-routed into my bulk mail folder (they weren’t – I was checking). My third counselor also knew nothing about me and made no effort to become engaged in the process with me. He was completely unprepared for our meeting, not even knowing my work background or where I went to school (despite having my resume on paper). Then he asked ME to give THEM an electronic copy of my resume because they had lost it. Lastly, he promised to include my resume in their in-house placement service, which I found out later doesn’t exist either. What a disgrace.

My expectations regarding the marketing plan and my advisor’s would do for me were in line with how the program was sold to me. They were reasonable, but were not met. I already had good interviewing skills, so their service was a complete waste. I demanded a refund based on non-provision of services on my contract and was refused.

Ye

Comments

30th of Jun, 2008

Why would you need this if you were an executive? You sound like you just needed to be pumped up. If you paid thousands of dollars for that, you needed basic economics in college. You sound too immature to be an executive of a legit company. Just my 2c though.

• Ki
      19th of Jul, 2008

Thanks for the warning. I recently posted my resume online and received an e-mail from one of their recruiters. The e-mail was very carefully worded and made to sound as if they were doing me a favor. I cancelled the "interview". I owe you a beer and big steak dinner! I am just now starting a job search after working at my present company for over 10 years and completing my MBA. I am (was) naive about these career vultures. XOXO

24th of Jul, 2008

If you spent as much time networking a progressing with your career as you do complaining and blaiming everyone else, think where you would be.

• Un
      22nd of Sep, 2008

You can take shots at the complaints all day long, but the fact is that these guys advertise one thing and do another. It's a ripoff you can't fully appreciate until it's too late.

• Ke
      11th of Nov, 2008

Funny these people take shots at you when you are not alone, there are numerous people affected by this company myself being one of them. There are complaints across the web regarding their unsatisfactory service, and numerous BBB complaints. Recently they were sold to the Summitry Group, owned by Dr. Maurice Rahimi a professor at USC who has closed the doors to both the Summitry Group and The Executive Professionals. I too am actively seeking a refund and looking to file a law suite against the new and old owners. These people are a complete RIP-Off do not give them any money.

• Lo
      24th of Jan, 2009

Im just finding out that they closed their doors, how are you seeking a refund/law suit?

• Je
      13th of Feb, 2009

I also just found out they have closed their doors. Can you give any suggestions on how to proceed in getting any money back?

• Dj
      21st of Dec, 2010

Taylor Wingate group: Professional placement company,
    Because of adverse comments they are now marketing their services under "SAN DIEGO JOBS" ! Beware!

26th of Nov, 2012

Thanks for the information. I just about to sign a contract with "San Diego Jobs". But I'm glad that I reviewed your comments and save $4, 700.00. Joe K.