The College Network / Fraud and cheating

United States Review updated:
4.8

I have placed many calls to this company starting soon after I was pulled into this scam. The company Rep sat at my table and told us so many things that were not true.

First being The College Network was affiliated Excelsior College. This was a big lie. Not only are they not affiliated but on one call to my “education advisor" he actually said “when you call them don't let them know you are working with us as we are not on very good terms" When I spoke to Excelsior's Admissions Department they were happy to confirm this. LIE #1

We were told that acceptance to Excelsior College was guaranteed. LIE #2

My wife and I were also told after I asked about the cancellation policy only being 3 days, that he would put it in our contract that I could take the first course and once I “ace" the test if I still wanted to cancel it would be no problem. LIE#3

I did not receive and have not received a copy of everything I signed including the extended cancellation policy when asked about this I was told that I could get copies of the contract but there was no extended cancellation agreement supported by the company. Let's put that the category of LIE#4

When I brought this to the attention of The College Network all they would say is they apologize and that Rep is no longer with the company. To that I say, who cares! Your Reps misrepresent your program to grab their commissions and then they run leaving the consumer to suffer with nothing but a loan that you cannot get out of.

Here is your chance to put things right. Hopefully there is an attorney out there that would like to take on this class action. Whether or not the Rep is with the company or not is no concern of mine. The fact is these guys are engaging in deceptive trade practices to obtain the business and then offer no resolution.
Va

Comments

Va
  15th of Nov, 2008
This company lures prospective students into it's trap then bleeds all the money it can from you for services you can obtain directly from your college without them. Then they keep adding more charges on.

In an idiotic moment I bought into what they were saying and signed up, Big Mistake! I had already submitted my transcripts to one of their offices before a rep came to our town for a sign-up session. This office had already evaluated them and told me what classes I needed, so when I attended the sign up class I knew what classes were required for my path.

A few weeks later I received a notice saying they had re-evaluated me and I needed more classes, which they added on and sent more materials, of course adding more money to my bill. After talking with other people who signed up with me, I discovered they did this to almost everyone there. And you can forget trying to get out of the program. They sign you up with a credit union or other financial institution for a loan and get their money up front.

I have never used any of the materials, or their services, found it was not for me, could not get out of the contract, so I honored my commitment and made my payments for almost 3 years now, only 4 more payments to go.

Now they are saying they did not charge sales tax to any Texas residents and I owe them another $285+, even though I have a contract from them stating the total due and paid. From reading some of the nursing forums, it seems they are trying to collect from all present and former Texas students for years of their mistake of not including sales tax in their billing.

You can even go to the Excesior college website and find a warning about dealing with companies like this. Their ripoff scams are well documented across the web. Just try searching, many people are unhappy with their tactics. If I only had of know about this https://www.complaintsboard.com site before I signed up.

Now I am receiving letters and phone calls from a collection agency, I have been turned over for unpaid debts.

If I hear of anyone starting a class action suit, believe me I want on the bandwagon. I have never sued anyone, but this company makes me think about it.
Tr
  2nd of Dec, 2008
I totally agree with your complaint. I was suckered into this scam based on several of the same untruths as your complaint. Now i'm stuck paying a $4000.00 loan for something I will never do anything with. The "advisor" never mentioned that you only have 3 days to cancel.

Once I recieved the study guides in the mail about 6 weeks later, I realized that this was just not worth the amount of money that I'm paying. I then called The College Network to find out what I have to do to get out of this and was told by the representative that I can withdraw from the program but was still obligated to pay the $4000.00 back to the loan company, or I could buy out of the loan for about $2600.00 and return the study manuals.

To make matters worse, about a year later The College Network sends me a letter stating that they made a mistake and forgot to charge sales tax for my order and that I owe them an additional $325.00.

If there ever is a class action suite against this company I'd like to be involved.
St
  11th of Dec, 2008
I agree 100% the College Network is scam. I was suckered into 7, 000.00 and was told several untruths . I set down with the advisor and was never told either that 3 days was all that I had. The college netowork authorized on their own for money to come out of my checking account causing my account to be 250.00 overdrawn, I never gave anyone permission to due so . After getting sick and have surgery I could no longer work, they did not care they said that there was nothing that they could do and that I was stuck paying for materials that I have not used and and for all the exam fees that go with it.

I also agree if there is ever a class action suite against this company I would definately be involved
Ni
  21st of Dec, 2008
I met with a rep/ salesman about their program. She lied during the whole process. Not only did she lie once but three different times. I found out that The College network has 167 complaints with the BBB in their state. TCN is a publishing company only. There is a credit agency that works with TCN by the name of American Credit Exchange. They are in the same building and they are a part of TCN. A man by the name of Gary Eyler has posted something on this site, well he is the principal for TCN. I am in the process of doing more research into TCN but i am going to start with the Commission of colleges and schools in my region. I will also contact the Department of Education in Washington, DC. I am going to file a complaint with TCN and i will mail the complaint to all the agency's listed and some that are not. Too numerous to name. I would suggest that everyone else do the same.
Ma
  22nd of Dec, 2008
File a complaint with the Federal Trade commission, The Atty General in your state, The BBB, The National Fraud Hotline and the US Department of Education. When you file the complaint you need to tell them that the Southeast Federal credit Union is also a part of TCN. The credit reporting agency called American Exchange credit is owned by Gary Eyler and so is TCN. Excelsior College has been banned from Virginia, maryland and California. In Georgia you can not participate in clinicals. All together they have stipualtions against them in 13 states.
Lo
  26th of Jan, 2009
I am so angry that i got suckered into this stupid "college network"... i was NEVER told by the advisor that i had 3 days to cancel either. I also NEVER authorized automatic payments from my checking account. The advisor said that during the nursing program with indiana state university that clinicals would be held in a hospital of my choice...he said "We work with all hospitals in the SF bay area..." I later phoned a Kaiser hospital near my house to confirm that they allow clinicals to be held there by this program, Kaiser stated they have never allowed TCN students to have clinicals there. I even called a Sutter Health hospital and got the same story...
I was fed a LOT of BS!!! Now i'm stuck paying off this stupid loan...

I too got sick. I got diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma and was deemed unable to continue working. I called the company to see if they could suspend payments and the lady wasnt even sympathetic... she kept saying "All i can do for you is lower your payment for 6 months, THAT's ALL." The so-called "lower payment" was only $40 less.

I also agree that if there is a class action suit against this company i would be involved...
Kc
  4th of Feb, 2009
File complaints with the FTC. The more that find there way to the investigators desk the quicker they will take action against them. Several Scam Schools such as this were just shut down in Dallas Texas.
Ca
  10th of Mar, 2009
You people just need to read ### before you sign it. I have looked over all of the information provided to me and it absolutely says that you have 3 days to cancel. In addition, the rep told me that I had three days to cancel. All I can say is READ READ READ before you sign anything.
  4th of May, 2009
All,

Cara is correct. As an employee of TCN, I can state that The College Network puts everything in writing. The 3 day cancellation policy is stated in bold print on the purchase agreement and the form titled "loan application" clearly states that you are signing for a loan as well as authorizing automatic draft. Everything about this program is completely legitimate.

Many of the complaints or allegations that I see posted on this site are a direct result of a failure to read the paperwork. I would be more than happy to answer any questions or assist people with their concerns on an individual basis. You may contact me at rdegeeter@college-net.com or contact the manager of our Customer Care Unit. Her name is Heather and she can be reached at 1-800-634-1443.

Ma
  10th of Aug, 2017
@The College Network I get the paperwork should be looked over. But the sales person gives a different impression. They also do not tell you you will receive a 2014 study guide for a 2017 exam. So your paying money for a study guide that will just take up space. If the College Network is an amazing company they would not leave this important information out! They take advantage of the consumer and leave this information out. Then an advisor calls you the 1st couple of months so that you think they actually care about your schooling. Just wait for it...by the time you get to the last exam before the CPNE their information is not as helpful as it was for the previous exams. By this time you feel like they have backed you. I failed my exam with no one reaching out. I never received an advisor call after that. I didn't receive my study materials for the CPNE either. I stopped payment and I received a call so quickly. They said "we are sorry, your rep quit." One lady told me that I was completely right for stopping payment. All the sudden I receive study material in the mail...it was 3 years old. They received their payment every month until they broke their contract...
Then I received calls and emails. The rep that initially called me was very convincing. She told me that when I was completed with school my payments would be completed. Yes Rick you are correct the contract did not say that. I should have read that. But if the company you work for is so amazing they should tell the truth! Not take advantage of students of Excelsior's because they don't know how to get started.
  5th of May, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Dear Mrs. Hopkins,

After reviewing you file, I see that you have not contacted Academic Support regarding your dissatisfaction with our products/services. I have forwarded your complaint to our Customer Care Unit so that they may address your questions and concerns.

I am not trying to turn the situation around by referring you to the paperwork. I am merely trying to assist in answering your questions and clearing up any confusion. It is not our intent to confuse or mislead people into becoming customers and that is why we put all the information in writing. We want our customers to be informed. Afterall, this is your education we are talking about.

I have forwarded your complaint to our CCU. If you have any questions in the meantime, please contact Academic Support.

Ki
  12th of May, 2009
$4800 charge to my credit card. Who are these people and how do we find them and drive a stake thru their heart?
  2nd of Jun, 2009
Kirk,

I am unable to locate you as a customer, but would be more than happy to address your concerns. Please provide me with more information so that I may have someone contact you or call 1-800-634-1443 and ask to speak to someone from the Customer Care Unit.

Cm
  18th of Jun, 2009
The College Network is the biggest scam ever. I never even used anything they sent because the state of Ga won't give you a license if you went through them. Thats crazy cause the guy that came to my house in GA never told me that. Now I have a Lawyer calling me about the payment. I refuse to pay and now they are going to take money out of my checks because they suck. I am just trying to pay my bills and not lose my house and now I will lose my house cause of them. So I hope they are proud of themselfs for making my 9 year old homeless. You are the biggest A$$E$ I have ever met.
  18th of Jun, 2009
Christina,

Our records indicate that at the time you signed up (01/09/08) the Excelsior ASN program was accepted in the state of Georgia. We do not sign people up to programs unless they are eligible and we do not sign people up for programs that are not approved by their state of residence. Though Georgia briefly stopped recognizing Excelsior's ASN program, there has been a recent reversal of that decision, and the program is again being accepted. Please contact Academic Support at 1-800-634-1443 for complete details.

As of this date, we have shipped you materials, completed your guidance call, and your preliminary course analysis for your program. Also as of this date, you have not made a single payment.

If you would like assistance in restarting your program, please contact us at the number above.

Sh
  21st of Jul, 2009
The College Network is ### and I want my dam money back, who the hell do you people think you are if a person decides they don't want to affiliate with TCn anymore they shouldn't have to pay and your materials suck. I have a lawyer and i also filed a complaint with the FTC. How can you give a person 3 days to cancel when we don't even recieve the material for a week. I wish I never signed up for this bull ###. If i was in Indiana I would come blow that mother###er up.
Sh
  21st of Jul, 2009
O if anybody else feel how I do please lets get together and take a stand against these crooks. 510-878-8291
Wa
  21st of Jul, 2009
Shante, if they showed you the manuals before you signed the contract, they would never get one signed... No one would sign up for this program.
Nu
  29th of Jul, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I feel cheated and scammed as well. When I spoke with the advisor I told her I was currently enrolled in college as I need to take 6 units every 6 months to defer my student loans. She told me that this is not a problem and that whatever courses I complete at my local college would just be removed from the college network program and I would not be charged for them. She signed me up for all of the needed courses (charged me for all of them!) and told me that the college network would review my transcripts and remove any duplicate courses. Once my transcripts were reviewed they extra charges would fall off my account. This never happened! I was also told that my transcripts would be reviewed periodically and adjustments would be made to account for the classes I would complete in the future. I have spoken to customer service several times about this and all I get is the run around!

I have been paying for this worthless course for over a year now. I only have one book, and will not accept any future shipments. The material is very poor quality, in fact its about on par with my little sisters 5th grade text books. I will be calling tomorrow to cancel the automatic draft from my checking account and I am looking into hiring an attorney. Some may say that we signed up for a loan, just like an auto loan or a home loan, but they are wrong. When you buy a house or a car you receive the items! I am not receiving an education from this program and I want out!
Tc
  12th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I agree! This is nothing but a scam! I have never heard anythign good about this ### place! United we should all stand and get this place shut down!
Up
  13th of Aug, 2009
I am so glad that I looked into this website. I was almost scammed by RUE another organization that provide materials and state that they are affiliated with Excelsior college. I contacted the school directly who states that these places only offer testing materials. Yes, I looked at a lot of the comments that say that people should READ READ READ but your reps are terribly misleading. One of the reps that I noted had a complaint on several websites and I am glad to see this up front before this man comes to my home. I was almost scammed with RUE, three of my coworkers were. I just so happened to get out of it because many of the classes that I was do to start were not available. Thank God I was spared but I sympathize with all of you with these horrible stories. If enough people complain on these unasavory practices, they will be investigated no matter how these people sit and try to say that they are right. Many of these people are misleading in their approaches, maybe not all but the majority. In the end you reap what you sow. All of the people who you know you are scamming something will come back to you. REMEMBER THAT!!!

The College Network Logo The College Network