The Brick / 4 months and no couch

1 Manitoba, Canada Review updated:

If i actually do receive this couch that i ordered in April, it will be the last purchase i ever make at the brick. Still waiting to even see it, kept getting told one more month one more month. Now they say its in transit but can't guarentee when it will be in????????

We were never forewarned that there could be this long of a delay by anyone including the manager. Never got a phone call from the company, we had to call to find out whats happening with our couch. Never had a problem before with the brick, but after this will never deal with them again.

Comments

• Ro
      24th of Jul, 2008

I ordered a couch in November of 2005. At the time I was told that they had the couch in one of their other warehouses. Delivery date of a couch and mattress was supposed to be 1 week. The day of delivery they were supposed to show up between 9am-12pm. I took the morning off work only to have them not show up until 2:30pm with just the mattress. The delivery guys said the couch was on back order and to contact the Brick about delivery time.

I call the Brick and they tell me that the couch was a popular item and unfortunately they sold out and were waiting for a new shipment to arrive from overseas. I go into the Brick I purchased it at and talked to my sales guy and he tried to back pedal when I questioned him on why he did not tell me I wouldn't be getting the couch for a while. His manager then stepped in and basically tried to sell me another couch. The catch was, they had no other couches that matched the price of my original purchase. So they wanted to up-sell me on another couch.

I then went to another Brick in the city and noticed they had the couch I had purchased still on the floor. A salesman approached me and I discussed purchasing the couch. I got the same story about how they had none in their warehouse but there were couches in the other warehouses and I could get it delivered within the week. I told him I was not interested in waiting a week and his manager stepped in and told me that they actually do have a couple in their warehouse that were on hold but that he figured he could steal one of those and have it delivered next day as long as I did not walk. I then told him I had one on back order and laid out the scam they were pulling on me and he basically walked away and said that if I have one on back order I can not get credit on it to purchase the same couch from a different store.

Anyway, I canceled my couch, but 4 months later a delivery guy shows up with the couch to my door. I call the Brick and turns out they never canceled my order. I decide to keep the couch. Then a few months later I find out that instead of the 9 months 'no fees, no interest' deal I was given was entered in by the sales person as 6 months and I get a call from the finance people regarding my missed payments. I told them I only just received my couch and I should get no interest from the date of delivery. But no, they give you no interest from the date the Brick guy punches your info. into their computer.

All in all, the Brick was the worst shopping experience of my life. I will never make a purchase from them again and would suggest others steer very clear. I don't know why all these big furniture retailers treat their customers the way they do and how they continue to stay in business with their lack of service.

• So
      1st of Aug, 2008

Ontario Government of Consumer and corporate affairs- deal with them

• C
      30th of Aug, 2008

SAME THING HAPPENED TO WE ORDERED IN JUNE AND WE STILL HAVE NO COUCH, THEY KEPT SAYING IT WAS ON BACK ORDER... AND I JUST FOUND OUT ON FRIDAY THAT SOME 1 AT THE STORE CANCELED MY ORDER... SO IVE BEEN WAITING, AND HAVE BEEN LIED TO, AND DID I MENTION IVE BEEN SITTING ON THE DAMN FLOOR!!!

WOW I HATE THE BRICK!!!
    ### THE BRICK SON'S OF ###!!!

• Co
      11th of Jun, 2009

• Ge
      11th of Jul, 2009

Do you know anything about the sales industry at all? Although the manufacturer may be at fault for a late delivery, you purchased the product from a certain reseller. This is reseller is to work as your representative on your behalf to find out what happened to your product. As a reseller, a big part of what they do is to typically stock items and if they dont have stock should have a good idea on both lead times if the product was instock and needs to be shipped or if the item needs to be built.

From what I read regarding all these comments about items not arriving on time, or in the condition that they expect I would put the blame on the shotty sales people. Because they get paid on commission on bulk sales, they seem to get away from the service side. You clearly sound like you are a sales person for one of these companies.

Quote: " 29 days ago by Corporate 0 Votes
    You guys have to understand the buisness. YOU the 1/100000 ( and dont get me wrong you are JSUT as important as one of them) But the company has no control over when they get the product. I date from teh manufacture ie. Linkwise furn co. or Haining Mai sofa inc. says well have them for you on April 1 so the company says well have it for you on april 15th. Explain to me how its the companies fault when what they purchased doesnt arrive? Same as you want me to explain how your furniture didnt arrive. I suggest next time you have a trivial problem such as this, call the store in questions wether it be the brick, leons, ashley and get the manufactures phone number. Or be more flexible...either one. "

• Se
      17th of Jul, 2009

If you type in "Leons", "Bad Boys", "Future Shop" and the countless other corperate wide stores that exist you will find lists of complaints.

Unfortunately after reading the complaints of many of these people I learned something else. Everything they have experience is the company's fault..no one takes ownership of their own presumtions and the fact that they didn't take it upon themselves to educate themselves about their product before they purchased it. I just find it a little too convenient that everyone get to blame all these companies without taking any of the blame upon themselves.

I'd honestly have to lean towards some of what "corporate" said. There's all kind of potential obsticals when ordering from any of these stores. If you order something with far in advance there's a chance that you may catch them at a time when they're in the process of manufacturing more of your product. To top it all off what if the manufacturer needs more time to make your order. It ultimately comes down to the manufacturer and not the store. Anyone who works in the biz or has worked in the biz knows this to be 100% accurate.

The bottom line is this. If you need something for a future date. Order it ahead of time when there's stock available then get it right away and put it in storage if need be. You have to be open to the reality that if you put something on a post order date that they may be out of stock by the time you need it. So you have to be willing to bend a bit. The manufacturer makes these as fast as possible but sometimes everybody and their dog order an item so it takes some time.

That's another thing I notice..everyone complains about the time frame they get items in, but certainly no one complains about the price. And to be quite frank I feel people can be a little rediculous as to what they expect for the amount they paid. Both in service and quality of product. The term "you get what you pay for" definately still hold true.

Why can't people take it upon themselves to be a more educated consumer(e.g. electronics come with an instruction manual for a reason)? Sales consultants are there to sell..they aren't there to educate unless the customer takes it upon themselves to ask. I chose to respond to you over some of the other responces because you don't appear to make this out to be as much of a witch hunt as others.