The Book Depository / appalling customer service
I am a long-time Book Depository customer, and have spent hundreds if not thousands of EUR in orders over the last 4 years (and my wishlist being over 10 pages long, I intend to spend much more).
I have recently purchased books (order BDG-805-[protected]), which were paid for through PayPal, using my usual work address for delivery. Over a month later, the books still hadn't arrived, so I decided to contact the customer service team to get some information. When I wrote to enquire, I got a rude and unhelpful message saying that I had provided an incorrect address (i.e. the street part of the address was missing). I was further told that, as the error was mine, I'd have to wait 10 WEEKS for the books to return, and maybe get a refund or my books sent out again.
I sent proof that the address I provided was correct (the order went through PayPal who provided the delivery address), and that no part of it was missing, so seemingly the mistake in the address was made by Book Depository.
I was honestly thinking this would resolve the issue and prove me right. Instead, I received another, slightly less rude answer, but still telling me to wait 10 weeks until the books were returned. If the mistake was mine, I'd understand, but I made NO mistake, and the order was fully paid a month ago. Why should I have to wait? Why not just send me another set of books immediately, and YOU wait for the original set to be returned?
All this for a pathetic 14 EUR order; good thing I didn't go on one of my usual 100-plus EUR spending sprees. In any case, this would not have happened a couple of years ago when their customer service was really top class. Now, not only does it take ages for them to ship your orders, but they also treat customers like ###.
Book Depository, never forget that there are other online bookstores with free shipping, and that they'd surely be more than happy for me to buy my 10-page wishlist from them.
More The Book Depository Complaints & Reviews
- Book Deal Trading LLC (Sharjah) - fasle commitment 
- The Book Depository - lost delivery/poor customer service/failure to refund 
- The Book Depository - refund not full 
- The Book Depository - book ordering receipts 
- Book Depository - no order arrived 
- The Book Depository CA - stolen identity
- The Book Depository - order number bdg-360-42461817556 (order date: 2nd march 2013 - quantitative methods and techniques for planning, c. wong - paperback
- The Book Depository - delivery speed
- The Book Depository - no response to emails 
- Book Depository - order never showed up