The Book Depository / appalling customer service

United States Review updated:

I am a long-time Book Depository customer, and have spent hundreds if not thousands of EUR in orders over the last 4 years (and my wishlist being over 10 pages long, I intend to spend much more).

I have recently purchased books (order BDG-805-[protected]), which were paid for through PayPal, using my usual work address for delivery. Over a month later, the books still hadn't arrived, so I decided to contact the customer service team to get some information. When I wrote to enquire, I got a rude and unhelpful message saying that I had provided an incorrect address (i.e. the street part of the address was missing). I was further told that, as the error was mine, I'd have to wait 10 WEEKS for the books to return, and maybe get a refund or my books sent out again.

I sent proof that the address I provided was correct (the order went through PayPal who provided the delivery address), and that no part of it was missing, so seemingly the mistake in the address was made by Book Depository.

I was honestly thinking this would resolve the issue and prove me right. Instead, I received another, slightly less rude answer, but still telling me to wait 10 weeks until the books were returned. If the mistake was mine, I'd understand, but I made NO mistake, and the order was fully paid a month ago. Why should I have to wait? Why not just send me another set of books immediately, and YOU wait for the original set to be returned?

All this for a pathetic 14 EUR order; good thing I didn't go on one of my usual 100-plus EUR spending sprees. In any case, this would not have happened a couple of years ago when their customer service was really top class. Now, not only does it take ages for them to ship your orders, but they also treat customers like ###.

Book Depository, never forget that there are other online bookstores with free shipping, and that they'd surely be more than happy for me to buy my 10-page wishlist from them.

Ro
Apr 5, 2014

Comments

• Ro
      5th of Apr, 2014

I am a long-time Bookdepository customer, and have spent hundreds if not thousands of EUR in orders over the last 4 years (and my wishlist being over 10 pages long, I intend to spend much more).

I have recently purchased books (order BDG-805-51722073894), which were paid for through PayPal, using my usual work address for delivery. Over a month later, the books still hadn't arrived, so I decided to contact the customer service team to get some information. When I wrote to enquire, I got a rude and unhelpful message saying that I had provided an incorrect address (i.e. the street part of the address was missing). I was further told that, as the error was mine, I'd have to wait another 10 WEEKS for the books to return, and maybe get a refund or my books sent out again.

I sent proof that the address I provided was correct (the order went through PayPal who provided the delivery address), and that no part of it was missing, so seemingly the mistake in the address was made by the Book depository.

I was honestly thinking this would resolve the issue and prove me right. Instead, I received another, slightly less rude answer, but still telling me to wait 10 weeks until the books were returned. If the mistake was mine, I'd understand, but I made no mistake, and the order was fully paid a month ago. Why should I have to wait? Why not just send me another set of books immediately, and let Book depository wait for the original set to be returned?

All this hassle over a 14 EUR order; good thing I didn't go on one of my usual spending sprees. In any case, this would not have happened a couple of years ago when Book depository customer service was really top class. Now, not only does it take ages for them to ship your orders, but they also treat their customers like ###. Dear Book depository, never forget there are other very good online bookstores with free shipping who would be very happy to serve me.

• Re
      13th of Jun, 2014
    The Book Depository - Didn't receive books after 40 days
    The book depository
    Tokyo
    Japan

After 40 days I am yet to receive my textbooks for uni which started two weeks ago. Their delivery time is 7-10 days and yet after 40 days, 14 emails still no books or valid reply. I am so angry, wish I never ordered through this company, asked for refund and no reply. Disgusting service.

• Bo
      16th of Jun, 2014

Hi Rebecca,
    We are sorry about this, we have sent you an email about this.

Sincere apologies
    BookDepository.com

• Em
      29th of May, 2015

I had the same problem. They used my billing details from Paypal instead of my information on my BD account (what’s the point right?), and sent my package to the wrong address.

It’s been almost four months and I’ve yet to see my FOUR books that cost me more than $120. The customer service gave me a consistent reply (template, copy, paste), telling me that I have to personally contact them every now and then to check if the ‘lost’ parcel has been returned to their office and until then, they can’t do anything about my order. Seriously?

This entire experience was horrible, and all I want is just my money returned to me, or the books if possible.