The Blue Rooms / scam

1 England, Greater London, United Kingdom Review updated:

I have read all about the blue rooms studios / pure space studios and they are a complete scam . they are all over the internet a huge big scam, but i found out only after i went with my daughter and spent £800 on a useless set of photos. On the day there was no make up artist so I had to do my daughters make up and hair! Unbelievable. I felt so pressured that I had to pay. Luckily I only paid 150 on the day, the rest was on a direct debit that i cancelled. they only give you the goods after you finish paying!
Complete scam

Comments

• 20
      6th of Apr, 2016

Blue rooms london a complete scam they explained if my son missed his appiontment he will lose the £50 deposit my sin had a motorbike accident i rang and explained this as his was unable to attend due to a leg fracture and stitches he was not offered another appiontment a couple of days later i noticed the blue room had took another £135 plus the £50 deposit out of my bank??? i contacted them and spoke to a woman named jenny who was very rude and said thats the terms and conditions ? which was not stated to me when i rang i explained that i called to explain that my son had an accident and could not attend? she did not offer another appiontment only thats the terms and conditions so basically youve been scammed out of £185 and thats that ? iam totally discusted of there customer care and will be taking this further ss i find it totally unfair and unexceptable considering i rang in and explained that my son had a motorbike accident and could not attend ?

• Na
      19th of Dec, 2017

@2016 Have you had any luck getting your money back? I have just discovered that they've been taking £50 per month - total £250 - I did not want to proceed but they say I signed a contract. They are so rude and say that it's up to us to read what we sign?

10th of Apr, 2016

They took my money the same as you...they are scam, they eat our children money, they will pay their life in the future, they never run away what they did to everyone ...

• Li
      28th of Oct, 2016
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

Visited the Blue Rooms today, after my daughter was 'chosen' by UK models to attend. Told over telephone when we booked the shoot that images would cost £50 and the price would decrease the more pictures we purchased. Shoot went well and we were then taken into an office to view the pictures. The sales 'woman' went on about how wonderful my daughter was and how she would make it as a model. However, the friendly pleasant manner soon turned sour when we refused to pay the £1, 500 price tag, for 10 pictures, a list of model agencies and a web site. We explained what we had been told on the phone and she just dismissed it stating that no-one would have told us that. She said they would not sell us individual pictures and she became extremely rude and off hand.

In the end, after a lot of arguing, we managed to get 5 pictures at £200. The attitude of the 'woman' was disgusting, she was just acting like she couldn't give a s**t, and was just basically throwing things around on the desk, like a stroppy teenager who had been told they couldn't go to a party.

Just be warned!!! UK models cannot get you work and they do not manage you, they just take the pictures and sell them to you at an extortionate price.

Make sure you read the small print on the paperwork they get you to sign. I was given this form to sign, when eventually the 'woman' agreed to let us have the 5 pictures for £200. I began to read all of the small print, whilst she sat there tapping her pen and rolling her eyes. Glad I did, as there is a sentence that states you give permission for your images to be used by them for social media purposes. I said I wasn't prepared to allow that as I did not know what they would use them for. The 'woman' became extremely rude and said that if I didn't like it then just cross it out, which is exactly what I did.

If you are up to arguing the price on the pictures and getting what you want then go for it. If you are not very confident in uncomfortable situations, then steer well clear, or you will probably come away with the most expensive package that was around '£3000' or so.

I'm sure UK models will comment on this review, stating they have no record of us attending yesterday, as they have done on so many other reviews. If this is the case happy to upload picture of the invite letter and order form I completed.

31st of Aug, 2017

@liney Hello,

I am intending to report them to trading standards and am looking for people who had a similar experience. Do you still have evidence of communication with them?

Thanks.

25th of Sep, 2017

@SafSab Hi i have similar situation with the blue rooms/purespace. I am also willing to give evidences as they're totally scammers. No genuine company would yld force you to pay a certain amount whe u don't want tge product anaymore. In this case i didn't receive the pictures or CD. I PAID 200 but that's it. They wanted to get 300 more of me. And i said NO. Threaten me to sue due to the contract i signed. But i didn't receive the pictures anyway. Scammersss!

30th of Sep, 2017

@MEGonzales-Johnson Hi wich contract are you all talking about? Just wanna know my partner went last saturday and did not pay 500 pound for just a couple of photo's. He said the woman wrote on the paper to send the deposit back, and my partner had to signed that.

• Du
      7th of Mar, 2018

@SafSab Hi I hope that you did report them as I plan to do the same could you please give me some pointers of what to do and what to wright more people should do the same as bigger number more chances we have to be heard . I am more that willing to give any evidence needed as it look like they do same think over end over again they are perfect candidates for watchdog.

• Du
      7th of Mar, 2018

@SafSab Hi I hope that you did report them I want to do same could you please give me some pointers and of course i am more that willing to give evidences if needed they are perfect candidates for Watchdog

• El
      26th of Mar, 2018

@liney Hi, I took my son to the same studio 115 Great Portland Street. Now haven look into more of the reviews I considering just cancelling my order and losses the £100. I was wondering if any agencies took your daughter on with the picture that you received from the list of agency that you were given. Or would I just be best kissing the money. Elisha

@SafSab Please contact me. Dawn 07793504039

26th of May, 2018

@Dawny71 We are in correspondence with them to cancel our contract from Apr 18 they should be ashamed of themself we haven't received anything from them and they claim the contract can not be cancelled even said id forfeit what ive already paid :( long process but the fight still goes on 3 letters later

31st of May, 2018

@Sandra Moon Its a disgrace, i doubt i will ever get back what i paid but they arent getting another penny out of me. X

31st of May, 2018

@Dun21 Hi I am in conflict with them at the moment, I can tell you what Ive done but have no faith that I will see the £400 ive paid again 😢

11th of Aug, 2018

@Dawny71 Hi. How are you getting on with this? I have just paid the £100 deposit then read the terms and conditions and realised there somewhat different to what I was told online. I’ve contacted my CC company in the hope they can help. I will not be going to any appointment but I fear I have lost the £100 deposit and scared they will take more, although my CC company have assured me they are on the ball with watching for anything further from them coming out and will treat it as fraud. The deposit it still pending but my CC company said as soon as it comes out they will be treating that as fraud too.

• Cw
      18th of Aug, 2018

@SafSab Hello I was just wondering how you went on with trading standards ? I am going to do the same you see, regards

16th of Sep, 2018

@MEGonzales-Johnson Do you finally paid the balance?

16th of Sep, 2018

@Sandra Moon Did you receive threatening letter will bring the case to the court?

• Ka
      16th of Nov, 2016

They did the same thing to me back when I was a teenager. I was scouted from photos they found on my Facebook and made me believe that they were helping me to become a model. I was young and believed them as they showered me with compliments. I had never done anything like it before so I had no idea that the pictures were of incredibly poor quality but they had built up my hopes and as they pressured us to buy the pictures my mum eventually paid as she didn't want to shatter my dreams. Afterwards I never heard from them again. They no longer wanted to know and modelling agencies were not interested in the poor quality photos. I have never forgiven myself for being so gullible and will always regret causing my mum to lose out on £800 that she couldn't really afford but wanted me to be happy. I am now 26 years old but this still brings me to tears when I think about it as I regret the money I caused my mum to lose ... :( these guys are absolute ### who take advantage of young people. It's not acceptable and I wish they could be stopped. But alas they are still getting away with it.

• Ly
      8th of Dec, 2016

My comment is recent as I went yesterday. (Wednesday). On Tuesday I paid the £50.00 deposit, which I thought was a price reasonable price and the lady Natasha showered with compliments too and she did tell me the more pictures you purchase, it will decrease in price.
    Yesterday after the shoot was done, I had to wait around for a little while and then I was led into the office to have a look at my photos, which surprisingly were really good. I wasn't interested in purchasing any. The man who sorted out the pictures his name was Gavin and he wasn't speaking very quickly and was joking around a lot and I felt pressured when I had to pay £1, 950 for the model package and an extra £500 that is probably for the portfolio (but please I'm just thinking that is what it's for and don't actually know if that is true) and then I had to sign a contract and put my initials next to the boxes I ticked. When I spoke to my Mum and my boyfriend about this, they hit the roof and said I have been scammed as it shouldn't of cost that much and I could of got a better deal.

25th of Aug, 2017

Scam. Was called by UK models who said I had potential. They sent me information saying photos start at £50 but are not sold individually, so I was expecting to pay £100. Got there and had the photos done and then a man downstairs told me that the 'packages' start at £1, 500. He was quite rude and tried to make out like he was giving some kind of 'deal'. I felt pressured to pay up and then he said 'happy now? you should be'. Erm, no...I have no money left.

3rd of Sep, 2017

How do you cancel the contract and is this possible as went today and setup a direct debit and my partner has got the roof

25th of Sep, 2017

@Jobarlow They won't let you cancel as you have signed the 'contract'. The only company with no cooling period and will not reimburse you. Cancel the direct debit in your bank and if they didn't set it up which was in my case then i have cleared all the funds from my bank to a dif account. They said they'll set up a direct debit but my bank didn't see it in the system. Then if they did why did they ring me on the day of tbe direct debit 22nd September. If it is genuine then the bank should have rang me not them telling me they can't get money Off my account. Clearly, they copied my bank details and they will enter it manually to make sure the bank cannit refund it as it isn't tge correct way of setting up direct debit

26th of May, 2018

@Jobarlow Did you cancel your direct debit succesfully?
    Thanks Dawn

4th of Sep, 2017

If you feel you were misinformed, the price was unfair and it came under 'aggressive selling' and you felt pressured to buy, you have to go via the police.

4th of Sep, 2017

As it is less than 24 hours surely I am in my right to cancel an no money has been transferred yet surely I have 14 days cooling off period

11th of Aug, 2018

@Jobarlow Hi. Did you ever manage to rectify this? I am the same, 24hours after paying deposit for appointment...then read term and conditions online and are somewhat different to what I was told on the apparent ‘recodeded call’. I’ve contacted my CC company and they are watching my account to make sure nothing else comes out. They can’t stop the pending initial deposit but will take it as fraud when it comes out as I was mislead.

• Rm
      17th of Sep, 2017

Good afternoon All
    I went to Manchester yesterday and got suckered into this on 16/09/17. I have to give them top marks for what they do. I went with my step son, who's mother had signed him up, meet and greet and photo session great, All pics great and I even was beginning to believe what I was seeing.

I didn't see the punch until I was taken upstairs to see the pics, I have a sales back ground in Time Share and Mobility, so used to high-pressure sales techniques etc. I Was sat in front of a computer watching a slide show of the pics taken and as was really pleased with them, Nice comments all the way on how it had gone, then the bomb shell, well sir as a one off today it will cost you £3500, for the pics the contacts and Portfolio. An investment in my sons future!!!

Im 19 Stone and you could have knocked me over with a feather, Out came the I need to speak to the wife, Im a Yorkshire man and don't spend 50 pence without double checking and from the minute I said NO they couldn't get me out the building fast enough as there where other people waiting, and he did show me a cc slip for £3500.

I am amazed I got the wool pulled over my eyes the way I did, and allowed it to get as far as it did before realising, so all I can say is be very care full And reading up on this shower of S--t since I can understand how people get suckered. Remember if you need to send more than a standard pic to get in the door there is something fishy. If they want you, they pay for the portfolio and they sell you out for work. They will invest in you to make money off you!!

They sell a product which is not needed, is expensive and has no guarantees of work, and believe in a couple of hours on a pc you can possibly find all the details you require, you might need to persevere with emailing pics but keep your chins up

I hope this helps many people to avoid these people but Im guessing it wont stop them so all I can say is be very aware and Good Luck

• Na
      19th of Dec, 2017

The Blue Rooms are operating a complete scam. I had a great initial chat to the talent scout who said that my son had been selected and could we come to the photo studio to take some initial pictures. They take a £50 fully refundable deposit - NOW THEY HAVE YOUR CARD DETAILS!!! - which you get back at the appointment.
    When we arrived the staff were very unprofessional. The other parents there did not look like their kids were going into modelling or acting. It was not what we had expected at all.
    The photographer was rude and the pictures were very average. I could have prepared a portfolio better with my i-pone pics of him. I am thinking this is a scam, I don't want to work with these guys. We go into a room and then some girl says it's £500 for 10 pics, and shares all the info on the packages you can buy -£1, 200 for a website, £3, 000 for pics, portfolio, and website. I was shocked and not interested. She got me to sign something - with no explanation (WHY DID I DO THIS???). And 6 months on I find out they have been taking £50 per month - without my consent. I have received a rude demand letter for the balance of £250.
    I called them today to say there's been a mistake and I got the rudest girl saying 'it's your responsibility to read what you're signing'.
    I have not received a contract or agreed to this. I am totally livid that they can rip people off like this.

• Ju
      2nd of Feb, 2018

Stay away from this "company" I was contacted by shona and she said they were interested in meeting my daughter. I asked who were they and they said they were uk models and were interested in helping my daughter get into the acting a modelling industry. I made a booking and paid £50. I was told I would get that back on arrival. They sent me a confirmation email of the booking and the address. I travelled from the north of ireland to a studio in London. I was told on the phone that they wanted to speak to me about what modelling and acting suited my daughter and that's what the interview was about. When I got there it was the blue rooms photography studio which I was told nothing of this. They took my daughter in spent 20 minutes taking pictures then sent us down to a waiting area. We waited for nearly 2 hours. Finally a woman came out a took us in2 a room. She started to speak to us about packages for the pictures. I was dumbfounded as there was no mention at all of UK models. The 1st package they offered me was £2999. I near fell off my chair. We told her we haven't that kind of money. She offered me a new package for £1599. I told here that was not possible. She said to use what did you expect to pay. I was shocked. She left us for 2 mins to discuss what we wanted to do. I did not want to buy any pictures as that's not the reason why I was there. We eventually agreed to a £500 payment plan that JESS offered, so we could leave. JESS handed me a form to sign for what I thought was the direct debit payments. As I did a big no No, I didn't read it. It was actually a waver form saying when we left the building we couldn't change our minds. We paid £150 in total and 9 mths to pay the rest through payments. O was very shaken at the treatment and how easily these people got money from us. They contacted me on the Monday when I got home about an issue with the direct debit form. When I spoke to Jess and told her we didn't want to go ahead with the pictures. I explained that they had misrepresented themselves as a modelling agency when they rang me. I said by law I had a 14 day cooling down period. They said that's not their policy. I said it doesn't matter if it's not cause it's the law. She said I signed the contract and that's that. I offered to give them an extra £150 just for the pictures (that i didnt even want), that would have been £300 in total. This was not good enough. I have cancelled the direct debits also.I have since contacted my credit cards to revoke payment, I've also contacted the FCA and trading standards. They used to be known as a company called en vogue Ltd in the same building which dissolved in 2010 at the same address. They will probably say they tried to contact me( which they didnt) or they don't have record of me( I can put the form up they falsely got me to sign) that's their usual tactics to people who complain. Don't let any of these good comments sway you from your hard earned cash. UK models and the blue rooms photography are corrupt and crooks. They are disgraceful and dishonest. I will be taking this further.

• Ju
      4th of Feb, 2018

@Julia57 How can this comment be deleted? It doesn't seem to give an option to do so as this issue has been resolved

• Do
      18th of Mar, 2018

@Julia57 Hi, just took my son to the Blue room in Manchester, we enjoyed the session, our son couldn't be more happy. We bought the package as well, even if we thought it is too much. Then, came back home read all those messages and we think we made a huge mistake. Is it any way to cancel the payment and contract? Sometimes You want the best for You child and You loose your brain, and when You realised what have You done it is too late... Sorry for myself and silly thing I have done it.

26th of May, 2018

@Julia57 You say it has now been resolved were you able to cancel the contract? Sorry just going through the same thing

24th of Jul, 2018

@Sandra Moon Hi, I would really like to know if anyone managed to cancel the contract, please.

• St

@Julia57 Do you mind me asking how it was resolved please

16th of Sep, 2018

@Julia57 May I know how this issue resolved?

• Pa
      12th of May, 2018

I have been in a similar situation not at The Blue Rooms, but I imagine it's part of the same scam? I uploaded a picture to start up models for my 14 year old son, I had loads of phone calls the next morning, and texts and emails, but it wasn't from start up models, it was from UKModels. They aid he had an amazing look, and agencies wanted him for sport and casual wear. We paid £50 to hold his space for a Sunday in just a weeks time, also the card used for that payment was used fraudulently to buy hungry house take-away, luckily NatWest stopped the payment going out. I had to organise staying over in London on the Saturday night, travel there and back to Gloucester, and then the underground a few times over the weekend. His appointment at The Studio wasn't till 1pm on the Sunday, but we decided to get there early and we arrived just after 11am, it was at the back of a manky looking pub, and we were told we could get started there and then. My son had to fill out a form, then he had his hair and make-up done in a pokey little room where lots of children and their parents were waiting or going through the process of shoots etc. Once he'd had it done, we went outside and taken to an area where he had lots of photos taken, then went back in, and had a few changes of clothes and indoor shoot again in another pokey little room. Afterwards, we were told go off for an hour and come back, where we were taken into a small dark room, by a woman called Arabella, she asked my son loads of questions about what he wanted with regards modelling etc, she did the waffle then after saying only 2% get through, he was told he was chosen, and he would get lots of work due to his type of look. She ran through lots of packages which was a blur, I didn't have my glasses so couldn't see the computer screen properly, about the amounts etc, my son was asked to go through a modelling portfolio and tick which ones he'd like to do, she said there was one coming up in a few weeks, and they needed 1 other model, and he'd get £3, 000 for that 1 shoot. I came to pay and it was £5000, I said I couldn't afford that, she said it was actually £7, 500 but she was going to pay the rest, as she knew my son would get lots of work. I didn't want to go ahead, but I was caught in an awkward predicament, as it's something my son really wanted to do, they know how to get you in a position that you can't get out of. Since then we've not heard anything, I've contacted and emailed and rang them loads of times, occasionally get an email reply but never a phone call. They actually broke the contract as the website for my son's portfolio wasn't created with all hi details on in the 6 weeks which was last weekend. I've emailed them but haven't heard back from them, and probably never will. I've contacted the Fruad squad in London, also Watchdog about it, hopefully something will come of it. The bank wouldn't stop the money going out of my account even though I contacted them within 2 days of the shoot saying it was a scam, as the card receipts were to 2 different companies, the large amount actually was a boxing promotions company. How can they do this especially mainly with children, who have had their hopes raised then dashed, and for the parents who want their children to do well, and lose money which probably they didn't want to use.

• Re
      30th of May, 2018

I am due to attend a shoot next week, but after reading all these experiances im unsure what to do. Ill be travelling from northern ireland and have already booked and paid for my flights, but has anyome actually recieved their £50 refundavle deposit after their visit??

• Jd
      4th of Jun, 2018

@Rebecca Marno rebecca Marno how did it go, I found out that these comments were really helpful for me when I got there with my son. I experienced everything that some people are talking about here but I was prepared and managed to come out without singing anything except for my refund. Just waiting to see if I will get my £50 refund.

• Ol
      30th of Jul, 2018

@jdza Please did you manage to get your refund? After reading through all these, i want out and calling to cancel my daughters appointment tomorrow.

11th of Aug, 2018

@OluF Hi can I ask the outcome of cancelling your appointment. I’m in the same position. I paid the £100 dep for Manchester but then realised I was highly mislead x

9th of Jun, 2018

not sure how to go about this but i went to this place only last week did anyone actually receive there photos at any point once they had paid the full amount or do you recommend cancelling the payments now ?

20th of Jun, 2018

THESE PEOPLE ARE SCAMS VERY DISHONEST THEY TOOK £50 OFF US OVER THE PHONE TOLD US ONE THING DRAW YOU RIGHT IN IT THEN TELL YOU ANOTHER AFTER THIS PLACE SHALL BE CLOSE DOWN AND THE WORST PART IS THEY PUSH YOU TO GET YOUR BANK DETAILS AN YES DID SAY WE WILL GET THE REFUND ON THE DAY BUT NEVER GOT IT BACK THEY ARE CROOKS SCAM

27th of Jun, 2018

I've just parted with a deposit to take my daughter in July but now wondering if I've done the right thing! I assume if I cancel now I won't get it back?

• La
      28th of Jul, 2018

I went yesterday with my little girl and paid £200 deposit and set up a £120 amonth direct debit for 10 months, im really worrying now ive been caught in the scam and was wrapped up in the images they took. What do i do now any help would be useful! Really panicing now

@LauraJR21 See below reply Laura x

8th of Aug, 2018

@LauraJR21 I went the same day as you, I think I remember you there same time as us, we got completely scammed to, I have cancelled my card and I emailed them saying I would report them to trading standards and they threatened to sue me.

• Ca

@Chopster72 I was there same day too
    Completely scammed
    Will report them to trading standards & watch dog

• La
      30th of Aug, 2018

@Chopster72 Hi sorry i have only just seen this, have you heard from them since? Whats been the outcome?

13th of Sep, 2018

@LauraJR21 Hi sorry didn’t realised you replied. I have recieved numerous calls a day and letters to my home asking for the “outstanding” payments all of which I have ignored and will continue to ignore. They are not getting one more penny out of me. I have blocked all calls and then they call me from different numbers and leave messages on my voicemail, they are persistent I’ll give them that!

29th of Jul, 2018

Cancel your direct debit with your bank asap. Tell the bank you want to report them for pressure sales and misleading you into thinking you needed to buy a portfolio package when you dont. Ask the bank to raise a complaint against them to get your money back. Contact action fraud team and trading standards. Good luck x

• St
      29th of Jul, 2018

Thankyou very much. He didnt take any bank details which i didnt think about at the time. I have cancelled my card that i paid with aswell. I have also emailed the lady at 'uk models' stating everything and that under no circumstances are they to use my daughters pictures for anything. Am i right in believing they will be gone now and have no chance of receiving any? As i really dont want them to have them. Thankyou for your reply

29th of Jul, 2018

@Steve Laura Riches No they will mither you for payments, i got in touch with the citizens advice bureau who were really good and told me what to put in writing. You need to write a letter of complaint to uk models saying that under the misrepresentation act they have falsely led you to believe that you need their platform. This is untrue, no child needs an out of date portfolio that will be 10 months old when you recieve it. They are a joke.

• Ca
      11th of Aug, 2018

@Dawny71 Has anyone ever received the port folio, canvas or had the efolio done ? Or get a full refund from their card company?

18th of Aug, 2018

@Carlee Andrea I think I seem to be the only one that has received a refund. I paid £100 deposit, as soon as I came off the phone I read the terms and conditions and emailed them straight away to inform them that they totally mislead me on the phone and what they stated was different from what was actually on the T&C online. I contacted my CC company and they where 100% behind me to fight this as fraud. But I then received an email the day later telling me my deposit was being refunded...and it has been. I’m just glad I read the T&C within a day and before I went for the appointment or I would be in the same situation as everyone else no doubt.

13th of Sep, 2018

@Dawny71 I get daily phone calls and letters all the time asking for payments, I just ignore them

14th of Sep, 2018

@Chopster72 Did you receivedl the letter said that they will begin court proceeding against you?

14th of Sep, 2018

@Lengleng No not yet anyway letter just said to contact them as I have failed to pay, have you been threatened with court?

14th of Sep, 2018

@Chopster72 Yes. At the very beginning I contacted citizen advice and advised to send them letter to cancel the contract because I felt pressure to sign it. Two signed for letter sent but they are not intend to receive it and have been returned back to me.

14th of Sep, 2018

@Lengleng I never wrote to them to cancel the contract, didn’t think to do that although I did message them and they just replied there is no cooling off period and I have to pay. I’m sure I’ll start getting threatening letters soon.

14th of Sep, 2018

@Chopster72 I don’t know what to do. Just continue ignore it or pay for it. Citizen advice said already report this case to trading standards since March 2018 but no action has been taken.

16th of Sep, 2018

@Lengleng I’m going to ignore mine. If they are a scam they are never going to take us to court. Can’t see that they are going to be able to afford to take everyone to court, besides if they do that and I end up in court I’ll offer to pay them a £1 a week, which will take forever to pay them, they can take it or leave it. I’ll keep you posted if I get anything else through the post

16th of Sep, 2018

@Chopster72 You are right, I will continue to ignore it.

16th of Sep, 2018

@Lengleng Let me know if you get any more letters and I’ll do the same