The Bay / extremely incompetent sales staff

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
I was so frustrated and annoyed by my recent experience at The Bay, I am tempted to cut up my Bay credit card and send it back with my next bill.

I waited in line for more than twenty minutes while the sole sales person at the counter failed repeatedly to correctly process the sale prices on the vases that another customer was trying to purchase.

Having been in sales myself, I understand that sometimes the computer just doesn't do what you want it to, and that fixing those issues can be challenging - and as frustrating for the clerk at it is for the customer.

However, it soon became obvious to all of us in line that the problem was not the computer or the sale pricing, it was the competence and intelligence of the sales person.

Even more frustrating was that she was not apologetic or embarrassed by her inability to process a simple sale or for keeping an increasingly long line of people waiting. Rather, it seemed as though she was purposely attempting to make the customer pay the original prices rather than the sale prices for the items!

It can't be possible that the sales people are all on commission, can it? Even if that were true, it certainly is not appropriate to charge customers the wrong amount in order to bolster your commission.

Finally, another sales associate opened a till at the counter. He witnessed the final moments of the other girl's transaction - as that annoyed customer basically stormed off - and noted the long line up, but made no apology.

The person in front of me in line went to him, and I, much to my dismay, was stuck with the girl who'd kept us waiting for so very long.

I handed her my purchase; she scanned it, and said to me, '34.80, please.' I thought perhaps I had heard her incorrectly, and asked that she repeat the price. She did, with an annoyed air, her hand held out for my money.

I told her that I thought it was incorrect, as my purchase was a single card - you know, a greeting card. A single birthday card. She shrugged, and told me again that the price was $34.80.

I looked at the readout on the register, and back at the girl. It clearly said $3.48.

Why is this person allowed to conduct sales unattended? Was she really trying to dupe customers into paying more than the actual price, or was she just so incredibly incompetent that it only seemed that way?

Why can twenty minutes go by, as the line grows longer, until someone else shows up at the cash desk?

If it weren't for the fact that it was the perfect card for a dear friend, I would have left ten minutes into the struggle. Certainly, in the future, especially at the holidays and back to school (basically, all the large spending occasions), I will think twice before going to The Bay.
Va

Comments

Ro
  21st of Nov, 2008
Nov.21/08

Sir or Madam:

On Tuesday, Nov. 18th, we drove to Kingsway to the Bay to buy a prelit Christmas tree advertised on sale for 40% off the regular price-- a 7.5 ft Glucksteinhome tree for $269.99. There were none in stock. Another one caught our eye but was not available at the store. The third choice was the 6.5 ft. Blue Cashmere tree, at regular price, but none were available at the store. This is customer service?

After a coffee to punder our situation, we came back and asked about the Blue Cashmere tree again. No, none are available. Two were on display, but we were told it was not the store's policy to dismantle a tree for purchase . How can trees be advertised and not be available? It is early in the season.

No one suggested to check the other stores. We asked the supervisor to check and, yes, there were a few at West Edmonton Mall and Southgate. For good customer service, the supervisor should have suggested about checking the other stores.

Off we drive to Southgate from Kingsway and discover one is available. We ask about our first choice, the Glucksteinhome tree. None are available. We purchase the Blue Cashmere tree at regular price. We do get our senior's 15% discount and we open an account and get another 10% off.

Yesterday in the Journal, there is the Blue Cashmere at 40% off!!! My savings would have been more with the 10% account opening then what we paid. How can Kingsway Bay satisfy customers with this special if no trees were available 2 days ago?

Your stores advertise that lower prices will be matched. What do you have to offer to satisfy this customer before I cancell my card?
Fr
  30th of May, 2011
why are poeple still shopping at the Bay store after finding out they train their staff to lie about signing up for their credit card i was an employee there and we where trained to trick seniors to sign up for a credit card and when i refused they cut my hours and eventually i had a horrible accident at work that left me disabled and they covered it up to protect their ###. wake up and smell the coffee and shop elswhere!

Thebay.com / Hudson's Bay Company [HBC] Logo Thebay.com / Hudson's Bay Company [HBC]
Customer Care Service