The Barn at Walnut Grove / not well maintained/parking limited
When we arrived for my sons wedding there was trash in mulch that had not been weeded or maintained in quite some time. There was a 5 gallon bucket of water, trash and cigarette butts at the entrance, there was black mold in the window seals, broken furniture, ripped screen and wall trim that had been chewed by an animal inside. I asked the owner 2 hours prior to the event to clean and tack the screen, she did not.
Guests were asked to park 3.8 miles away and either walk to the venue or "catch a ride". We had such high expectations for the money we put towards this and were extremely disappointed. The owners did not offer a partial reimbursement or even an apology. I have shared just a few of the photos taken just prior to the wedding.
Updated by Eavers-Ashby, Sep 20, 2017
The bucket was on the front porch of the house and pointed out to us by a guest of the bride also. As for parking, we were told upon making payment that there was an agreement with East Rockingham High School. Per the principal at East Rockingham, there has never been an agreement and we did not have permission to park guests at the school. As for as apologies, I also offer them to the guests as I know at least 3 others spoke directly with the owners about the same concerns. The ceremony was beautiful but the amount paid for the venue to not be prepared is very upsetting. The broken furniture was pointed out to the owner and she was aware of it prior to the wedding. Couch and stool. There was also a large sliding door that came off the track and fell that my husband had to put back. The owners never offered a simply apology and it's ironic that the father of the bride commented when the owners specifically stated that they never spoke with you concerning the parking. This whole situation is tragic and no one will agree. It certainly isn't traditional for the grooms family to pay for a wedding venue along with catering and while we would do anything for our son, we expect to at least arrive to cleanliness when paying. Black mold is a serious health concern, especially for me as a transplant patient and who just had there left lung collapse or I would have cleaned myself.