TGU Grant Univercity / fraudulante charges on credit card

1 138 E.12300 S.ste C #183Draper, United States Review updated:
Phone: 877-207-1615

I wanted to recieve a CD on government grants for a shiping cost of 1.98 the company charged my account $69.95 without my approval!!!

Ro

Comments

Ig
  16th of Dec, 2008

Exact samething happenned to me. What should we do now? I did try to call their number but it is useless!

Ji
  16th of Dec, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I have been charged $69.95 on my American Express credit card, and neither my husband nor I have heard of TGU Grant University and in our old age certainly have no use for grants from a college. We have no idea how they got our credit card number, but this is definitely a fraudulent charge. We had no idea who the charge was from until I called the number on our bill under TGU Grant. It was PayPal. We have never opened a PayPal account. We were told by PayPal that they occasionally process charges to customers without an account and they could find no record of a charge coming through for us. They will investigate. We called American Express and they too, said they will investigate. They cancelled the card that had the charge and are reissuing another under another number. I cannot find out even where this University is. The only phone number I have been able to find for them is the one on the complaint of 11/28/2008 above. The address doesn't contain the city or zip code.

Ps
  16th of Dec, 2009

I just got the same charge on my American Express. I have NEVER had a PayPal account. I called the number listed with the charge 432-935-7733, but they were not much help. Kept asking me for information, but provided no relief. Gave me another number to call 1-877-207-1615. After going thru all of the automated B.S. I was eventually told all reps were busy and to leave my name and number and they would return the call. I just hung up. I contacted American Express and they are going to handle it, probably ending up filing a fraud charge.

Ph
  31st of Dec, 2009

I was also charged $69.95 by TGU Grants, but I never ordered anything from them and have no idea how they got my credit card number. The charge appeared on my December 2009 American Express statement. The phone number underneath the name of the merchant TGU Grants is the phone number for PayPal. I called PayPal and then he informed me that this charge was fraudulent and had nothing to do with my PayPal account. They said that the company just uses the PayPal phone number so that it looks like a legitimate charge. It's clever, because people who buy things on the Internet may think that they can't remember what it was for and just pay it.

I simply disputed the charge online with American Express, which only took a couple of minutes. Since it is a fraudulent charge, I will not have to pay for it. It really isn't much of an annoyance to me since I always review every charge on my credit card statement, but this shows that you need to check your credit card statement carefully. I am amazed that American Express allows these charges to go through considering that they must know of the problem with all of the complaints I found on the Internet.