TGI Friday's / not returning all change

TGI Fridays's
Power Road
Mesa Gilbert
Phone: 602-218-4957
on Wed. Feb 25th 2 friends, my son & I met for lunch at Friday's. I told the server that my son & I were on 1 bill, and each of the other ladies were separate. When the server picked up the payments she asked if I wanted change and I said no; one of the other ladies also said no; and the 3rd lady said yes. She had given the server $10.00 for a $4.85 bill. When she returned, she had 5 singles. She looked for the 15 cents and it wasn't there. She mentioned it to the rest of us and I also looked for it. It wasn't there. By this time both of the other ladies had to leave. My son & I were the last to leave and I stopped up front and asked the greeter if this was common practice in this restaurant and if so, whose decision is this?
does the company sanction this or does the server take it upon herself not to return ALL of the change and up to what amount? She said I really don't know because I was not your server; but she also stated the she herself has worked in many restaurants in the "valley" and that is common practice. She also asked if I REALLY wanted the 15 cents back and did I want to speak to the manager. By this time I had to leave and I said no. But I also advised her that this has left a VERY bad taste in all of our mouths and we would not be back (even though I love their green beans appetizer). I should have stayed and spoke to the manager because after I got home I started calling and and have not been able to reach them since. It's always a fast busy signal, like maybe the phone is off the hook. I even called the operator at the phone company and she got the same response; but said she didn't have the equipment to check if phone was truly busy.
Especially in these economic times, restaurants should be happy to get people IN the establishment and treat them right. And that means returning ALL the change. This is stealing!
I would like to report this to the manager, I may go to the restauant board if I have to. I am also telling everyone I know about this and "DON'T GO TO FRIDAY'S"!
I would like a response to this complaint. Thank you.

D  3rd of Mar, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
You're complaining about $.15? Are you serious? I wouldn't even want you back in my restaurant. Trust me, you're doing them a favor -- craziness.
D  4th of Mar, 2009 by
Why didn't you just tell the server that she shorted you? She probably didn't mean to-seriously, who would steal 15 cents? I am a server and many times I make change for a table and then slip the book into my apron. The 15 cents very well may have been in the book but fell back into her apron when she took it out to give to you. The easiest way to have gone about this was to talk to the server about it and then she could've given you the 15 cents. See? No problem!! My advise to you: Get a job in the food service industry!
D  20th of Jul, 2009 by
The fifteen cents probably just fell out of the book and into her apron. I don't know what you could have done with 15 cents that would make you so fired up to write this complaint...you couldn't even buy half a gum ball or 1/3 of a phone call with 15 cents. If you really wanted it so badly, you probably could have found it by searching on the ground for 30 seconds. People usually toss pennies into fountains.
D  30th of Sep, 2009 by
I have a solution: don't go out to eat if you're going to be a pain.

First of all, splitting checks is ONE of the most unnecessary, annoying things you could have your server do, especially if you're all paying cash. Aw, what's wrong? Can't do the math? Seriously, it's not that hard.

Secondly, in case you've forgotten, servers aren't slaves. They are there to perform a service to guests, and in return you are SUPPOSED to pay for that service. For some people they are there to pay the mortgage or pay for school. It's called a tip, every hear of one? Normally you're supposed to tip more than three percent.

And third, it must be nice that out of all of the things you could have complained about, you chose 15 cents. Maybe you should open your eyes and take a look at what other people have to complain about, and I assure you, it's exponentially more devastating than your "financial loss." You think 15 cents is bad? Some people have lost their homes for crying out loud!

P.S. I'm sure if you look underneath your couch cushions, all of your problems will be solved. Goodnight and good luck.
A  19th of Jan, 2011 by
Stealing a customers money whether it's 98 cents, or a nickel is theft. The money does not rightfully belong to the server or business. Why should the patron be bullied and ridiculed by the posters who get thrills responding hatefully to a legitimate complaint. I too had this shocking experience at a restaurant called Morels French Steak House, 189 the Grove drive, in Los Angeles. The attitude of the waitress was arrogant, sarcastic and ridiculing when she said they don't return the patrons change. Mine was eighty cents . If this line of thinking is so correct, and praised by the dunces here, why then don't the employers short the wait staffs paychecks and round all cents down to the whole dollar. Or go to your banks to cash checks with cents, and let the bank keep your change. All day long from the Starbucks coffee with change coming, to grocery stores, dry cleaners, gas stations, conveince stores, ect. just tell them keep the change if you promote and support this policy. For an establisment to covertely short change the parton is blatently unlawful, criminal, and can be prosecuted as a misdemeanor. I protested, spoke to a manger, and have never returned. Next time call the police and file a theft complaint.
N  29th of Mar, 2011 by
I used to work for TGI Fridays in Naples, FL back in 1995 through to 1998. It is common practice for a server to round up change to the nearest dollar so you're not getting a pocketful of change for your trip out the door. If anything, you're getting 15 cents back EXTRA!!! Think about it...$4.85 change and the server is giving you $5.00? That's 15 cents out of the server's pocket. So my question is...what's the problem?
D  5th of Dec, 2012 by
I'm the server this complaint is about! Let me please explain, this table of woman came in, sat down and were given excellent service by me. Just three old grumpy ladies who Demanded to be on seperate checks so they could use multiple coupons at one table, coupons that said one per party per table. I do round up and down on change, but I also inform and confirm its ok with guest paying. Just as I did with these oh so lovely ladies, Obviously someone wasnt listening.I'm replying to this post years later because I stumbled upon it while searching recipes similar to some at Fridays. I've been in the industry for 9 years, I've been manager, server and trainer all at the same time. I am a damn good server! Plus you try working at TGI Fridays and serving people like you! You come in with your coupons, chat for hours in a booth and leave a dollar or two since your bill was sooooo cheap. Despite whether its due to the three coupons you used after ### enough. Then you actually take the time to get online and write this ridiculous "review"! I would love to come see you where you work and complain about you, maybe you will lose your job like some servers so when they get complaints by ### like you.

TGI Friday's Logo TGI Friday's