Texas Tollways / Unauthorized billing

1 Austin, TX, United States Review updated:

I recieved a bill for $51.95 because they claimed I hadn't paid a charge of $1.95 six months earlier. I found the copy of the check I had mailed in and a month later I got another bill. They claim the fifty dollars is a penalty for not paying. They seem to have several collection agencies and they make it confusing.

More Texas Tollways Complaints & Reviews

Comments

Fe
  14th of Feb, 2011
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I'm having the same issue. Only NTTA suggested that I write the account/violation number and paid in full. Texas Tollways owned by TXdot is extorting money from innocent drivers. Could this be a class action case?????

Do
  26th of Sep, 2013
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I received a violation as well without ever getting a first or 2nd billing. So the $5.05 cost me $25.05. Every try to contact them? Impossible. 4 days trying to call with busy signals or once you get through the system repeatedly hangs up on you. Send e-mails and never one response. So paid online printed receipt. I am hoping I don't have the same, but yes CLASS ACTION will be the way to go! This is absolutely ridiculous. I just won't EVER use the tollway again. Way to go TXDOT, trying to ease congestion yeah right. I wondered why there was NOONE on the Toll road, guess the Austinites figured it out and are AVOIDING IT!

Mr
  18th of Oct, 2013
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

Texas tollways is a total rip off. The late fees on existing late fees are ridiculous. I cannot believe there is no law that prevents this company from ripping off hard working people! How about $2 toll fee turn into $1500 in matter of months? Credit card companies cannot charge more than 28% annual interest or so on top of the monthly late fees of ~ $35. In comparison with Texas Tollways you may be charges 2500% interest / late fees easily. That is 25 times the original amount! Absolutely insane!

Something has to be done with this company. Has anyone done anything yet in Austin? Any news coverage that you are aware of?

Le
  6th of Sep, 2017

@Mr. Juha lets line up at the capitol and protest on this scam/extortion business.

Ms
  21st of Jun, 2014
Agree Disagree +2 Votes

I have been paying my Texas tollways bills, I thought. But I just figured out there are 3 separate billing websites along with a collection agency: TexasTollways.com, gotxtag.com, paytexastoll.com, and Perdue Brandon. Somehow in the last six months I have paid and now owe a total of almost $2, 000.00. I am a hard working person and this not the kind of money I can afford to throw away. I am serious disappointed and now have a financial burden that I cannot afford. I don't understand how this can be allowed to happen. Does anyone know of any legal action for this issue?

Id
  11th of Jul, 2014
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I received my FIRST bill July 3rd stating I'm past due owing over $5 for a $1 toll charge and is due July 11. I'll pay it...but I can't. Their payment link on their website is broke. I can't get a hold of anyone in their office as all I get is a busy signal or a message saying "due to the holiday the office is closed..." July 4th was a week ago! Now; due to the holiday, weekend, and jacking around with their other payment systems that don't work, I'll have to mail in my payment which means it will be late and I'm sure I will be charged a late fee and go through all this BS again. Looks like I'm on my way to being a deadbeat toll driver who'll end up owing thousands over a $1 toll charge.

Oh...and I'm pretty sure I'm getting double charged. I'm pretty sure I only used one toll road on I45 between I35 and 620 on my way to cedar park in austin area. I've already been charged and paid my toll bill to another company

Kw
  17th of Jul, 2014
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I received a bill from the Harris County Toll Authority (HCTA) in Houston that I owed a bill for $37.25 which is all fee but the actual toll amount is $3.75. I found that my old account with Tx Tag was never updated so I updated it and they are not communicating with HCTA anymore, and for the past 3 weeks I've tried emailing and calling Tx Tag but the line is continuously busy and the emails won't go through. So HCTA said I can pay them for the fee's and bill. I am pissed.
What is the point in paying a toll bill that no longer communicates with the rest of the state, and you can't get in touch with anybody over there?

Au
  17th of Jul, 2014
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I just received a letter in the mail stating I owe a bill of 158.19 but after administration fees ($3875.00) I now owe a grand total of $4033.19! Are you kidding me?! A few .90 cent tolls and .60 cent tolls and they add $25.00 on each of those transactions and now I've got this to worry about. MSB in austin told me I only owed 2500.00 so I made arrangements with them (otherwise I would have a pretty warrant for my arrest) but it looks like those payment I'm making are going towards their happy hour fund.

Ja
  23rd of Sep, 2014
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I have had similar problems with Texas Tollways. For that reason I avoid the toll roads as much as humanly possible. Their modus operandi seems to be to do as slipshod a job of billing so that fines quickly add up. When you try to get this resolved, they frustrate you as much as possible so that you just pay up in order to get rid of them. I just had to explain to a woman that I have received no notice of a supposed violation from July of 2013 until a few weeks ago. I'm not accusing them of fabricating this (yet), but to the best of my knowledge, I had the transmission and clutch torn out of that vehicle for most of the summer until October. I completed the job just in time to be dunked in water on Halloween.

Next, absolutely no notices came to me until I got a letter from a law firm out of Houston stating that I need to pay up or face 'dire consequences.' When I told her about this, she tried to transfer me to the Houston office. She didn't seem to understand that this fine was for a toll road located in Austin. I have not set foot in Houston in quite some time. I explained that the law firm that is supposedly notifying me on their behalf has a Houston mailing address. If this is the standard level of competence we can expect at Texas Tollways, no wonder people are receiving $3000 toll bills. Heaven help us.

Ag
  29th of Oct, 2014

The toll road company and utter lack of customer service is a nightmare. Their systems go down for months and I get a 3 month bill... never saw a monthly one. I knew I owed them $, but you couldn't call in, couldnt go online - until Sept. I even tried emailing them, but my question wasn't addressed(totally danced around the issue. I have a bill over $1200 and they won't even apply it to my tx tag account. Their excuse is because my account was negative. Well of course it is negative when you don't send me a bill!!! They took zero fault in the matter!!!

Ol
  20th of Aug, 2015

I didn't want the toll roads in the fist place and, just as expected they have not reduced congestion, at least around Austin. One more thing, where are all the jobs as toll takers that were supposed to be created? Looks to me as if the only jobs that were created were ones for collection agencies.

Pi
  21st of Oct, 2015

I JUST received two packages (on the same day) from Perdue Brandon Fielder...saying that I owe $701.08. This is the first time I have EVER received any notice from them or FBCTRA about any owed toll violations. I moved in July and they said they sent the notices to my new address in May and June...??? How did they even predict that I would be living in my new address when I didn't even know...strange!!! I want to fight this, but I've been unemployed for 4 months and don't have the money. I have a scheduled Hearing October 30th at 12pm at the Fort Bend County Justice Center. Has anyone gone to one of these hearings and what was the result? Should I just work out a payment plan with these blood s**king attorneys, or try to test my luck at the Hearing with a "Judge". Any opinions?

Jo
  14th of Jan, 2016

I just received a bill from MSB one of the toll road vendors saying I owed $63.16 cents for a toll charge from 08/25/15. We don't even remember going through a scanner that day, but they had the picture of the car so I know we did. The toll was $2.16 with $1.00 processing fee. I called about the extra $60.00 and they claimed they sent a bill on A, B, and C dates and each "missed payment date" added $15, 00 then third one added $30.00 as a penalty. So my $3.16 toll was now $63.16. The problem I have is that I KNOW with 100% certainty they did not send three bills that we ignored. We pay our bills the day they come in to avoid situations like this. THEY DID NOT SEND US THREE BILLS, but when I called Customer Service Center, she was rude, insisted they did mail them and there was nothing I could do about it. The sad thing is, there isn't anything I can do about it. They have us by the throats and we have no way of refuting what they say. We are totally at their mercy. I'm not the only person this has happened to. A bill comes in and they claim it's the Third and final notice and they've added $60 in penalties. Is there anyone but them that we can elevate this issue to? I negotiated a $20 discount, but big deal. There is a serious problem with this company and the whole toll road situation and there's not a thing we can do. I'll drive in 45 minute traffic or 45 miles out of the way to avoid a toll road from now on because the whole system is messed up and is a scam. To whom in the state government can we file complaints. Too many people I know are getting their "Final Notice:" the first time when the fees are already $60 in penalties. It doesn't make any sense that a reasonable person would not immediately pay a $3.16 toll charge. They wouldn't put it off knowing the penalties are usurious!!! It's worse than those pay day lending people.

Br
  21st of Mar, 2016

These Toll roads are all crooks. I went through this with TXTAG in Houston, claimed they sent several notices yet the only one I receive is for $70.XX, we finally agree to get the sticker and they apply the balance to that. Well now had the same issue with paytexastoll MSB or whoever they are. The only notice I get is "hey its tax season come pay your outstanding tolls" Umm what? So i first google if the company is a scam or legit. Find out they are both. Go to the website and they claim they sent 3 notifications/invoices. One for $1.xx then $15.xx then $30.xx I have a 790 credit score and pay all my bills and credit cards off every month. Why would I risk my hard earned money over $1 and then over $15? I wouldnt. These people never sent me anything until after they sent it to collections. Funny enough I sold the car last year and when I looked up under the plate for unpaid tolls the new people have a $60 bill with the same damn company. So yeah apparently everyone just loves ignoring those $1 toll notices, and even the next one and next one.. Suuuure. But what can we do? Pretty much at the mercy of the state. At the very least they should require signature verification on their final notices. Makes me so mad. Bend over everyone

An
  7th of Apr, 2016

Same problem here. Tolls totalling about $8 and in less than 90 days, they ratchet the cost to $110+ - and that's after they snooker you on their website. I log in to pay the bill and it says I owe 78 cents? I log out and go in by invoice ID and it says I owe $6. Then I log in again using invoice ID and it says $110? You can't even figure out how much they *think* you owe! It's unbelievable that they can charge such high past due fees over such minor charges. If this were a credit card or financial company it would be deemed illegal. Class action suit?

Am
  30th of Aug, 2016

I received a statement from TxTag saying I owe $83 dollars. I called EZ Tag to make sure my account was current and it was so I called TxTag back asking how much was actual tolls and how much were fees. $17 dollars in tolls for 2 days on 2 different occasions and $65 in fees. I asked that they waive the fees because my account was never declined and always remained positive. They REFUSED because they said this was the 3rd statement they sent me (NOT TRUE). I asked to speak to a supervisor which told me the same thing and I argued with him and told him they were ripping the people off! He simply said there is nothing i can do for you. I asked where I could go to make a complaint? I asked if they had a corporate office I could make a formal complaint to and he said no so I asked WHERE CAN I GO TO MAKE A COMPLAINT? In the end he finally told me I could go to the Texas Department of Transportation and make a complaint there. I went to the website, it took me a few minutes of searching but I found it and I made a complaint. I spend on average a month of $400 in tolls. That is between my husband and myself. I figured I would never hear anything from the complaint and I would just pay the fees. Within 24 hours, TxTag called me and said we have waived your fees. We have to make sure to go to the Texas Department of Transportation or just google how to make a complaint against TxTag and do it. It pays off, or it did for me this time!

Ap
  17th of Oct, 2016
Agree Disagree +2 Votes

Yup... Just received a bill for $37.00, only $7 of which was actual tolls. First notice I've received at all, and already on third notice "violation" status, costing an extra $5 per toll. I go online to pay it, since I figured they were going to dick me around over it and it wasn't worth the headache for $30, BUT when I log in, the bill is now $55.44! I felt that definitely warranted a telephone call, since the due date on the notice I received is still two weeks away, and get handed some line about how there were more tolls from THE SAME DAY (two months ago) that posted after that notice was issued (less than a week ago). So let me get this straight... These extra tolls could not have been paid until 2-3 days ago, because they weren't even posted to your system yet, but they're already late and being charged fees? How does that work???

Am
  17th of Oct, 2016

Report it to the Texas Department of Transportation. Everything was waived for me even after the "SUPERVISOR" said NO WAY NO HOW!

Ha, well i showed them!!! They are stealing peoples money!!!

Bk
  20th of Oct, 2016

Recently called inquiring our toll bill, txtag sh130, we had not ever received. I was given wrong information by customer service and finally after a couple years was able to speak to someone who did more exploring into this. found out we owe $690 starting back in June of this year. Why aren't they made to bill out in a timely manner as you are to required to pay your bill. This problem needs to be fixed.

Om
  9th of Mar, 2017

I received a call from my sister that stays in Crosby, TX., we both are on the car tags and I have possession of the car in Williamson County, Round Rock area and she gets the bills mailed to her first off so I never seen the bills. Her conversation with me was that we had $33.xx and some change in Tolls, $35.00 in violation charges ($5.00 each x 7), and $6, 019.xx and some change. She called and spoke with someone, then provided me the information and I called to speak with a lady and she even sounded unsure and said I had to speak to Collections. I told her that this is a rip off. How can a $33.00 toll bill get to $6019.00 and the total was less than $70.00 for the toll and violation. I am going to check in on how to file a Class Act Lawsuit because how can they continue to do this and charge these kind of fees. This is a rip off and uncalled for. It takes time first off to call them while at work, also to hunt the bills down and change your information on the system. They have a 3rd party doing their collections and ripping Texans off for toll bills under $100.00. I see a Lawsuit coming their way and I am not scared to start it. Anyone have one already please let me know. I am going to be calling them again today to speak to Collections since they don't work full days. Why should they with the amount of charges they make. Must be nice.

Le
  6th of Sep, 2017

@Omg ripoffs go for it. i am having the same issue. this has to be stopped

Jo
  1st of Apr, 2017
Agree Disagree +3 Votes

Crooks. $8 toll, first bill, late notice, wtf!