Texas Roadhouse / unacceptable behaviour from a manager

Montgomery, AL, United States Review updated:

On Nov. 1, 2017, myself and my daughters went into the business in Montgomery, Al (East Chase). The waitress came over to take our drink orders and she asked for my daughters ID, one of them had her wallet stolen and therefore she only had the temporary paper state issued ID until she get her hard copy, when she showed the waitress her id she said I don't think we take paper id cards my daughter asked her why it's me, the waitress say I can see your information but let me ask the manager so we waited the she returned and said the manager said no, my daughter asked to see the manager. Once the manager came around the corner and say that we were black his whole facial expression changed. Blaine came to our table didn't great us didn't speak he just said yes, I looked at him, so my daughter asked him was it a Texas roadhouse rule about the id and he said yes, at that time I took over the conversation. I asked him if it's a rule of the establishment then let me see it, he replied I don't have to let you see nothing and it's a state law if you want to know then you find it and read it, I said ok I can read because I'm not dumb, being that he had and attitude and those nasty prejudice attitude, I told him if she weren't black he would have taken the paper id. He said get out of my establishment so we left. On the next morning I called corporate on the 2nd of Nov. and spoke with Julie last name start with and H she just got married so I cant' remember the last name. I explained the situation to Julie and she looked up the information about what manager was there that night and the manager was named John, so blane is not only prejudice but a liar as well but, Julie promised me that she would have someone higher up than her to call me by Monday Nov. 6th but nobody did, so this past Monday I called and spoke with Julie she told me that the complaint was in HR I didn't understand that once again Julie promised to get back with me but didn't, I called her back on wed. Nov. 14 and got her voicemail and left another message but no call yet.

De
Nov 15, 2017

Comments

• Sh
      Nov 15, 2017

Issues for this complaint are twofold: 1) Deborah never clearly states what she wants from the complaint and 2) state law really does limit how alcohol may be served when minors are present. Paper IDs can be too easily copied and if they are caught breaking said rules, there are heavy fines and loss of a liquor license.

It doesn't sound as if it had anything to do with race as the policy was stated without seeing the person.

• De
      Nov 16, 2017

@Shaun R. I want an apology from blane for his unprofessional attitude, you wasn't there to see his whole facial expression change when he came around the corner and realized we weren't white. My daughter's ate 24 and 22 grown women. He could look at her and the picture on the temporary id card but he was so angry to the point that he leaned down in my face to ask me what I said when I made the statement about him being racial. Blane had no right to be in my face. I see you didn't address the fact that he lied and said he was the manager and he wasn't. He also followed us out the door when he put us out some manager skills he got.

• Sh
      Nov 16, 2017

@Deborah Brown Vinson Hi Deborah.

I appreciate reading your reply. You're correct in that I wasn't there which, admittedly, could make a difference. However, the information you've provided, both in the initial complaint and in your reply, bring up a couple of questions.

To begin with, in relating your rendition of what took place, the waitress explained they were not able to take the paper ID. She then went to a manager to ask and, again, returned to the table saying the same thing. It was then that your daughter asked to speak to the manager directly. This is when you suggest he 'came around the corner and realized you were black.' So with respect, it would seem that everything prior to that moment suggests he was relaying to you the general policies without knowing your race. Am I wrong?

Then you've just stated that your daughters are 24 and 22. Legal drinking age in Texas is 21. I will guarantee that most people are not equipped to judge an age span of 3 years, let alone that of a single year. This has nothing against you personally, but anyone providing alcohol would be making a dire mistake to not I.D. your daughters.

I also wouldn't blink an eye at this Blaine being a manager. Many establishments have more than one manager and definitely more than one manager on duty at a given time. Just because a corporate call center suggested one person was a manger and the name of the person who was addressing the issue was someone by a different name, means very little. He was at least being addressed as manager by the waitress who was taking care of your table.

Please excuse me if I'm wrong, but then you suggest "if she weren't black he would have taken a paper I.D." Based upon the fact you're suggesting that he didn't know a race until "he came around the corner" and prior to that he had relayed through the server twice that he couldn't take a paper I.D., it would seem just the opposite. In fact, in this instance, you seem to do yourself an injustice to even bring race into the discussion. Does one get to sidestep policies or laws because they're considered a minority?

Very sincerely and respectfully, if I was in a similar situation as Blaine, I'd have likely done something similar. I wouldn't have "gotten in anyone's face." But I may have said, "Look. I'm sorry, but I can't serve alcohol to a table where I'm not able to determine minors are not seated. If you'd rather eat someplace else, then I understand. Please do so." I just know the state departments which regulate alcohol licencing are extremely 'sneaky.' They'll place someone in the establishment which is underage and have them looking like they're in their 30s. Establishments which have been provided a licence to serve alcohol have to be rigorous -- if not, they can get in a great deal of trouble.