Tesco / tesco allow their customers in china to buy and butcher live turtles at home!

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

Tesco are selling live turtles for food in their supermarkets in China. A customer can choose to have the turtle they have purchased butchered alive in the supermarket, or they can choose to take the turtle home, to end its life in whatever manner they choose, before cooking and eating it.

It is currently being challenged that the killing of the turtle in-store is not humane, that is awaiting research results.

Tesco, of course, are unable to guarantee that the killing of the live turtle taken home is humane.
By allowing their customer to leave with the live turtle, Tesco are shunning their responsibility of ensuring a humane killing.
Tesco therefore can be seen to be willing to allow possible suffering and cruelty to the live turtle they sell, in their search for profit.

We have raised a Petition against Tesco selling live turtles here:

If any of you are unaware of how turtles can be killed in China, or feel that there is not an urgent need to sign this petition, here is a VERY GRAPHIC animation to help show you why your signature is very much needed.

Tesco have turned its back on UK values of animal welfare.
It has turned its back on the UK customers that made it who it is, many of those have now boycott Tesco until they cease to sell live turtles in China.

I do wonder how many of their UK customers are they willing to lose, in their search for popularity and profit in China ?

Kind regards, Paul N Davis
Turtlesco
www.turtlesco.com

Comments

• Ji
      16th of Mar, 2007

It is normal to kill alive animals (Most of them are poultry and fishes). When I was young, that was 70s and 80s in China. In the market, there were only alive poultry and fishes to sell. There was packaged poultry to sell since China has open policy and get more and more developed. Also in Chinese food culture, we believe fresh meat is more delicious and nutritional. When you ever lived in that poor and short of food situation, you are gonna to understand why people can kill animal alive. In my memory, on the time when we can eat fresh chicken and fish, that was only in Chinese new year.Of course now we can eat them every day coz China is more developed.

Turtle is a prolong life thing in Chinese culture. We believe it even can save dying people's life if we kill it alive and cook it. I remember my mom ever bought one and cooked it into soup to try to save my grandmom's life. Of course, my mom let the salesman killed the turtle. She is too scared to kill any alive creatures.

So if you are against that company export alive turtle to China, do you support them to kill them in UK in humane way and export them to China?

• Dy
      25th of Jun, 2007

Laws really need to be enforced in China. The best thing the US can do is stop importing any food products from China. The dog food contamination really made the news and that was a neglect from China that killed many innocent pets. Furthermore, the news mentioned that some of our food may also have been contaminated. China is a strange country. Remember people there were killing their own kids if it was not the sex that they preferred since they are limited on the number of children that they can have.

• Te
      24th of Jan, 2008

TESCO CLUBCARD DEALS : AFTER TRYING FOR 2 DAYS TO OBTAIN A "DEAL THAT I COULD USE - I GAVE UP-THERE ARE TOO MANY CONDITITIONS- MOST OF THE POPULAR DATES ARE A NO NO THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH PARTNERS HERE IN SCOTLAND. MOST OF THE DEALS ARE GEARED TO SOUTH OF THE BORDER---TRYING TO SPEAK TO THE CALL CENTRES DRIVES ONE INSANE---DOES ANYONE KNOW THE EMAIL ADDRESS OF TESCO CHIEF EX TERRY LEAHY? SO THAT I COULD TELL HIM WHAT I THINK .

• Fr
      15th of Jun, 2009
    Tesco - higher prices/no market value foods
    Tesco
    Gt.Dunmow
    England, Essex
    United Kingdom

Over the last few years tesco in Gt.Dunmow has been removing more and more Market Value items, and even now their relatively new discount brands are disappearing to be replaced by more expensive items.
    Obviously tesco's in Gt. Dunmow think this is a wealthy area - maybe a few are - but the majority are normal people.
    We also suffer as there is no competion from other supermarkets in the area -causing them to put their prices even higher -pertol is a prime example.
    I want to see the Gt Dunmow store stock more market value items -as believe it or not some of us are really suffering in this reccession.