Telus / bogus phone charges

1 Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Review updated:

I’ve noticed that on the bottom of my TELUS bill, a charge of $13.20 for a call to Phoenix AZ, that wasn’t made by anyone in our home. We didn’t make this call, or did we accept a collect call from anyone. <br />
This was listed under “Alternate Service Provider Long Distance Calling” I’ve had weird charges on my bills before, but frankly who has the time to call Telus and be put on hold, only to be given the run around?<br />
<br />
This time I called Telus, and after waiting... and waiting... I finally got to speak to a “real” person. <br />
<br />
The company providing the service is called CanopCo Incorporated. They service all incoming and outgoing “collect” calls (when you dial 0), and they also handle charges from calling cards. Telus doesn’t do this - they contract it out.<br />
<br />
The Telus customer service rep said that “I” would have to call CanopCo and dispute this charge..?! (Excuse me, but this charge is on my Telus statement. I am talking to a Telus rep– my contract is with Telus). <br />
Customer Service... I don’t think so! <br />
<br />
The number she game me (a 1.877 number was a recording for a pharmaceutical company)?!<br />
<br />
I called her back, told her it was not the right number and I had no way of contacting them. <br />
After much persisting, she is going to look into it, but then “admitted” they are having a lot of problems and complaints from customers on their dealings with CanopCo.<br />
<br />
Now it seems to me that some well paid exec at Telus would know that CanopCo was having problems and that the phone number to the CanopCo customer service was INCORRECT! <br />
<br />
Another way you can stop these kinds of charges from appearing on your bill is to ask to have “collect calls blocked” (if you don’t make them, or receive them, you can prevent these fraudulent charges from happening in the first place. <br />
It’s not something that Telus volunteers to its customers (why would they – they are making money if no one complains), but they will do it if you ask.<br />
<br />
These are other service providers connected to Telus that you should be cautious of:<br />
Fast Track Global<br />
CanopCo Incorporated<br />
Tritan Global<br />
<br />
Basically, ALWAYS check your phone statements and bottom line – if it’s not right challenge it and COMPLAIN.

Comments

• Ri
      10th of Aug, 2009

Thanks to this complaint I was able to convince Telus to remove a bogus long distance charge (collect call) from my monthly bill. In my case the call supposedly came from Marshall, California and was also for $13.20. If this happens to you, call Telus and insist that they remove the charge. CanopCo Incorporated also has a file with the Better Business Bureau.

20th of Aug, 2009

I also had a charge for a collect call involving Canopco. Telus could only give me Canopco's phone number which I called. Canopco said the problem was with another company they provide service for. They had received lots and lots of complaints. They promised that I would receive a refund cheque in 2 - 3 weeks for the full amount including taxes. Canopco was very apologetic but it is not their fault. Telus was less than helpful. Surely by now they would know about the erroneous billings coming through Canopco.

• Cb
      27th of Aug, 2009

Received my bill today with a collect call referencing CanopCo. The Rep at Telus removed the charge because of numerous complaints, but warned that CanopCo may dispute it. Checked my call display units. No incoming calls that day.

The Rep I talked to also took the time to notice I was paying a high rate and lowered it to a rate that I use.

• Wa
      15th of Sep, 2009

Our Telus bill of September 4, 2009 showed a bogus charge for a collect call from Laredo, Texas for $12.00 plus tax. This charge was from Telus' 'Alternate Service Provider', CanopcCo Inc.

The Telus rep would do nothing about this because the phone is in my partner's name and only she could report the matter--a question of privacy!!

I called CanopCo (866 717 3411) and their Customer Service (877 252 9222) rep said that they had had many complaints about this, that they couldn't remove the charge from the Telus statement, and that they would send a refund cheque for $13.44 in three or four weeks.

16th of Sep, 2009

I had exactly the same problem, but mine was for $21. Called Telus and they told me I had to call Canopco. I did and the customer service person told me that they acknowledged that this is a fraudulent charge, but they couldn't remove the charges, and that they will write me a cheque and it should take 3-4 weeks (however she said the last set of cheques were 1-1/2 weeks late)

This just sounds like a story to me. Pretty convenient that we are all essentially lending them money for a few weeks while they write these cheques (if they ever even come). Not only that, but Canopco gets to keep the money from all of those who don't read their bill very closely and don't complain.

Personally I think it is Telus's responsibility to make sure that their bill is accurate and if I dispute the charge they should have to do the homework to find out whether it is real or not. They are the ones that have a contractual relationship with Canopco, not me.

•   22nd of Oct, 2009

honestly I feel bad for Telus trust me I used to work for collect call company (name anonymous to keep it professional)and let me explain what happens When someone makes a collect call it gets billed to the phone # that accepted the call, in this situation it was billed the telus bill, once you pay the bill anything under "alternate service billing" it goes directly to Canopco. If you call Telus or other phone provider to get a credit the phone company still has to pay canopco.

My advise to eliminate tons of headaches, I would suggest to anyone who sees these charges to call the alternate billing company directly, it will eliminate several steps and you will get better results because your phone provider didnt charge you and will not be able to credit the charge, that doesnt mean that they cannot apply a credit they may have it applied because they appreciate you business and feel for you.