Telco Mobile Bonanza / Cellphone sweepstake competition

1 Cape Town, South Africa Review updated:

Hi, I received a sms on my phone saying I have won R820 000 in a cellphone sweepstake Competition UK (Telco Mobile Bonanza). I was told to contact Mr Benjamin Logan which I did. He has sent me a certified certificate from HMCS in the UK. I need to know if this is true or if its a scam. Of course I asked Mr Logan and he said it is legal. He says he is the consultant or Mr Kingsley William who is based in the UK.

Please get back to me soonest. My email: melkbos@leapfrog.co.za
Thanks

More Telco Mobile Bonanza Complaints & Reviews

Comments

22nd of Jan, 2009

I also received an sms on my mobile saying that I have won R800 000 from Telco Bonanza. Msg said I must contact Adre Modesi to claim the price and also provided a security code # to be used. He claimed that Telco was a UK based NGO that is looking to expand in Africa and that mobile # we randomly selected. I gave very little personal information and quized him. He got a bit irritated with me and I asked him point-blank what I need to pay in order to get the price, and he replied nothing. However, he wanted to know my marital status, where I work and that is when I terminated my conversation with him. Unfortunately I deleted the msg before entering on this webpage otherwise I would provide the # they are using.

My view, this is a scam and people should stay away from these people. The guy I spoke to had a nigerian accent, if that would help.

Anonymous, South Africa

23rd of Jan, 2009

Hi all,

I recived this sms today saying i have won 960 000.00. The contact person was Richwell Nicolas he's number is 0782266239. He wanted a proof of my adress and a copy of my ID, I started questioning him and he assured me it was not a scam, he then sent me an email adress telco_bonanzauk@lice.co.uk saying they would send me the information. I then googled this and came accross your complaints. He phoned again just a minute ago and I then told him I know its a scam, he should be ashamed of himself and that God is watching. To this he just laughed and put the phone down in my ear.

Something should be done about these people!!!

• Il
      27th of Jan, 2009

Anonymous, South Africa

I too have received this message, dated 25/01/09. Congratulations! You have won the total sum of R860 000 Rands. Your number was among one of the random lucky winners in Telco bonanza. London UK. Ticket no SQMC call James Alfred at 0741035569 between 8-6pm to register and cover your winning. I called but he did not sound convincing enough that I took down his details & called Vodacom. They have no idea what I was talking about and that it was definitely a scam. Thank God i did give any details but who can tell me where they got my cellphone number.

• Is
      28th of Jan, 2009

I too have received this message, dated today 28/01/09. Congratulations! You have won the total sum of R860 000 Rands. Your number was among one of the random lucky winners in Telco bonanza. London UK. Ticket no SQMC call James Alfred at 0741035569 between 8-6pm to register and cover your winning. I called and he asked me how I wished to claim my prize? I told him to send the money into my bank accounts so he gave me this fax no. 086 661 0061 to be faxed to including my ID. After faxing, I called to notify him but he did not sound convincing enough therefore he told me to deposit an amount of R1, 600 rands into a certain account he was about to give me when the phone cut, sensing danger I ask him to give me their London details for my sister to do the payment upon, hearing this he pretended calling the London numbers then cut the phone. then I took down his details & called Vodacom. They have no idea what I was talking about and that it was definitely a scam. I did fax my details to him but who can tell me where he got my cellphone number and what is he going to do with my banking details etc.

Isaac

• Vi
      3rd of Feb, 2009

This text message was sent to my son's phone. It was sent from the following number 072 2361 4514 and requesting you to phone Owen Richard at 0710404362. Definitely a scam. I phoned the 072 number and a Mr Owen Richard answered. Boy was he annoyed that I called him on this number. He wanted to know how I got the number and said I must ONLY phone him on the 071 number.

Don't touch it with a barge pole. Be warned that are targeting kids so you might be in for a bill if your children reply

Viv

17th of Feb, 2009

hey

i have got a sms from telcosell bonanza that says that i won 960000 rand and i must phone him back and the contack was MR Richwell nicholas so is it a scam MY email is johnny.goosen@gmail.com please let me now

• Va
      11th of Mar, 2009

Hi All,

I too received the same SMS as the rest saying I won R980 000.00 with the following contact details, "Daniel Cole" 0781945653.
    Like I do with most of these things I GOOGLE it first and my advice to all is do this GOOGLE is the best. Don't get caught.

Vassa

• Ro
      12th of Mar, 2009

I too have received this message: Congratulations! You have won the total sum of R860 000 Rands. Your number was among one of the random lucky winners in Telco Award. London UK. Ticket no. N86/L9K call 'James Will' @ 0741031519 between 8-6pm to register and cover your winning. I called and he asked me how I wished to claim my prize? I told him to send the money into my bank account so he gave me this fax no. 086 5455 256 for my details to be faxed. I was about to fax this when my wife suggested we do some research and we now know that it was all a scam. "James" got all irretated when I asked what company he worked for saying "with all due respect to your wife, you are the man and an adult and do not need her permission. If she wants to she contact our head office (UK telco) in Jhb, then she can do this". "James" is apperently merely an agent saying that "it is your right to ckeck if this is a scam, that is why we ask for the ticket number everytime you call (a number they sms to you). To verify our winners, this is also why we give you the option of receiving the money via post (DHL from London) or via direct deposit into your account, he continued saying " if you do not trust it then merely let us know and we can cancel the ticket". NICE TRY JAMES. I suggest all who have experienced this try to spread this info as far and wide as they can.

• Ze
      13th of Mar, 2009

Hi, my mother also received an sms on 10 March 09 at 04:15:05 am stating, CONGRATULATIONS!!! you've won the sum of R600, 000.00 Your number was among the lucky winning numbers drawn at random in UK Telco Bonanza. Ticket...ZA. contact Rueben Morgan at 0794239647 to Claim your winning Prize!!, please protect your ticket pin code for security reasons, www.Uk-teleco.uk. This was send from this no. 0767986853. She then called this Rueben yesterday & he told her to call 0865428701 which happens to be a fax no. She then called him back n there was no answer. Today she then called Rueben about an hour ago & she asked for more info. but all he told her was that she must fax her bankin details & ID copy, the n I started asking questions such as...were do their office reside, hw the competition works & etc. he then hung up...thats when I then started researching the competition on the net. The companies I found were, had nothing to do with any bonanza competition...hence I got this link from google...sho its a good thing

• Ze
      13th of Mar, 2009

...I did research, before she send the info.

• La
      1st of Apr, 2009

I too received the sms two days ago. It said congratulations!!! You have won R860 000 and to contact agent Evans Williams @ 0718336457. So glad I google this first before I gave them any details.

7th of Apr, 2009

You must report this to the SAP, I did and they are busy investigate it. Specially those who lost money, this is the only way to catch these people. Luckely I was clever enough to suspect that this is a scam.

• Ka
      7th of Apr, 2009

Hey all I received the same message, also by a certain Reuben Morgan @ 082 623 6782, I received my message quite a while back and was skeptic, now I know for certain it was bull, would have been nice to have actually won that amount, my amount was 1.3 million so yeah, I was going to go for it, then I decided to do my homework and also found that the company UK TELCO had no knowledge of their so called Bonanza, the sms came from the number 076 798 6853

• Al
      21st of Apr, 2009

One of our workers received an sms today from 079 662 2530 stating:
    "Congratulations!!! You have won the sum of R850 000.00. Your number was amoung the lucky winning numbers drawin at random. Telco Bonanza Ticket Pin no Uk368ZA contact Sermon Anthony at 0798151578 or fax 086 605 4927 to claim your winning informations, please protect your pin code for security reasons."
    After calling the first time, we were told to call back in 10min. After 10 min the phone went to voicemail. After another 10min it was answered by a man with a Nigerian accent - a simple "Hello". After I explained the situation, he asked for the cellphone no, ID No an Ticket Pin no. Then said he had to fax his residential adress for a cheque or fax his Bank Details for a direct deposit.
    Suspecting that it was too good to be true we faxed the work postal adress - the remote name on that fax machine was "Harry Rowland"
    Which in itself was suspicious. On a hunch - I googled Telco Bonanza and guess what I found!!!
    They have not asked for money yet - but I am sure they will - and I have warned the person who received the sms not to pay them anything!

12th of May, 2009

I have received a similar sms yesterday. This is the cell no that was given:082 0658054 or 076 7653513. My lucky no was N96/L8k and the contact person was Kelly Jack. Maybe this information can help somebody track these guys down. Its definately a scam..

• Lo
      27th of May, 2009

Hi Guys

I received an sms on the 22 May 2009 - Congrats you have won the total sum of R200 000 rand. Your number was among one of the lucky winner in UK Telco bonanza. Ticket No. KP9764LB. Call Paul Benson @ 0733528182 between 8am-5pm to register your winning. Warning!!! Secure your winning details from the public to avoid double claim. I have pretended to be my younger sister of 20 - unemployed and on a prepaid number. He also asked for my marital status. He gave me 3 options on how to claim my prize, either I could fly to London, get it delivered by post or directly into my account. I originally only sent him my address and full name, then a couple of days later he asked to banking details also. I told him that I'd rather have it delivered, he said then I must pay R700 for the courier. If I chose to have it directly deposited then I would only need R500. I am still dealing with him, so far he has asked for full name, physical address & banking details, and has asked to put about R500 into the account for bank charges. I told him to take off the R500 from the winnings and deposit the rest, he seemed to get irritated. So no more faxing of ids - I have already sent all details, and have made sure there is no money in the account. I just want to know what they can do with all this info??? Will we be in danger?

• Ou
      11th of Jun, 2009

I too just got this sms. gona see what the cops can do about it. Has anyone taken it to eTV's 3rd Degree?

• Un
      15th of Jun, 2009

I 2 rcv a msg saying u have won your self a sum of R980000.00 nd i faxed him all my details and than he never reply, bt i thank these pipul 4 helping me understand dat this might appear as a scam

• Do
      16th of Jul, 2009

I also received a SMS of winning R760, 000.00 of UK Telco Bonanza. from a Venn Morgan 0717286955 with a rev.no to collect the money. I did not contact this person, due of the following reasons: If you won from the UK it will be in Dollars not in Rand. Also i believe that this is another scam from a syndicate. As i phone this person and start talking, i told him that we are busy tracing the call, and he hang up. Please fellow SA/Namibia people, IGNORE THE SMS of winning money. This SMS came to me this morning of 15 July 2009.

• Mk
      17th of Jul, 2009

Jut received sms R1.7million. The are getting desperate.