Teeth Whitening Pro/cathysteeth.com / Not free!

After reading the positive comments about teeth whitening at http://www.cathysteeth.com, I ordered the suggested 'free' samples. After I received the Teeth Whitening Pro sample, I called to cancel future shipments pursuant to the agreement. The rep insisted the sample wasn't free, that it was a full 14-day supply, and that I must pay an additional $18+.

When I posted a complaint about the extra charge at cathysteeth.com, my comment was posted, then removed within the hour -- a warning to others that you'll seldom if ever read negative comments about these products.

I expect to go through a similar challenge when I receive the Ivory Whites 'free' sample. I'm not sure I even want to try these products after this sort of behavior.

Ma

Comments

• Do
      4th of May, 2009

What did they send you? What are the ingredients?

6th of May, 2009

I just looked at the Cathysteeth.com website, found that she lives in a nearby town. It's probably your town, too.

I looked at the "view, source" of the page, and found code that figures out where I'm at and then says she lives there, too. How convenient.

Total baldfaced liar. Anyone who would lie to make it sound like they live near me is clearly a scammer. I would avoid this product like the plague if I were you.

Code is:
    My name is Cathy Anderson. I live in

Furthermore, the whois info shows cathysteeth.com registered their street address as a UPS Store mail drop in California. Type in cathysteeth in the search box on GoDaddy.com, then look up the address in Google (maps), then choose Street View and the address is clear as day on the awning.

My guess is, the guy's name isn't even Cathy (since the owner's name is hidden from public view).

Obviously a scam. These outfits get your credit card number and won't let go. You'll have to cancel your card to get them out of your life.

6th of May, 2009

Ooops -- seems this scammer has created over 20 identical pages with the exact same scam. Do a Google search for http://www.google.com/#hl=en&num=100&newwindow=1&q=%22My+name+is+Cathy+Anderson.+I+live+in%22&fp=x1Rb704m-nk

or just use "My name is Cathy Anderson. I live in" (including the quotation marks) as the search term to see all of them.

Or, just check out www.bracesreview.com, www.momsteethstory.com/tv1.php, mommysteeth.com, www.thewhiteningcenter.com, cafeorganico.net, www.cathysteeth.com, www.teeth-whitening-options.com.

You'll notice the description in each Google result doesn't include "Cathy's" town, because she doesn't have one.

It's obvious "Cathy" is making a lot of money on this scam or "she" wouldn't have bothered to create all these web pages, advertising, etc.

6th of May, 2009

Noticed that the graphic above shows katiesteeth.com, not cathysteeth.com. Yes, both names are registered the same way at the same address (8939 S. Sepulveda, Westchester, CA). You must use a true address when registering a domain name or risk having it canceled.

So is the this guy's name Katie Fredrickson or Cathy Anderson? I'm guessing neither one.

6th of May, 2009

And, yes, the ads you see ON THIS VERY PAGE are the same scam. https://www.complaintsboard.com uses Google ads to make a little extra money, and since the ads are tailored to match other words on this page, Google automatically shows ads for katiesteeth.com and other sites by the same scammer. So, add jennifersfirstblog.com to the list of scam sites.

• De
      6th of May, 2009

CANCEL your credit card right away or they will keep billing you over and over. Once they have your number they never stop...even after you have canceled by phone, in writing, or e-mail. This definitly IS a scam. I did something similar with a different product, and the company was Advance Wellness. Looks like this may be the same. Please cancel your credit card NOW. It is a nightmare to try to cancel these products, the billing just never stops from them!

• De
      6th of May, 2009

I just want to say "Thank You" for all your posts. I had my credit card out and something told me to google this company 1st. I'll just go to my dentist instead. Thank you!

• St
      6th of May, 2009

The same thing happened to me but they charged me 79:00. I wish we could file a REAL complaint against this person. Anyone have any ideas? This is a REAL SCAM

8th of May, 2009

Kathy Anderson lives in whatever town YOU live in. Google her name and you will see she has about 5 towns listed. This is a gimmick to make you think a product has to be good if it is used by a person who lives in your town! While the products may help, it burns me up to think this kind of trickery is being used to promote these products. After reading the above comments, I won't be ordering any of these products.

8th of May, 2009

As an afterthought to my preceding comment, those of you who are having trouble should report this abuse of your credit cards and customer trust to whoever you can. Start with the credit card company, your Better Business Bureau, the Attorney General's Office in your state, and the FBI. There is an e-mail address for the FBI that deals with scams. Try Google to find it as I cannot recall it offhand. Google has exposed more scams just by my "Googling" a name or product. You can also forward the ads to spam@ecu.gov if they come in your e-mail and attach your dealing with this company to the forward.

• Be
      10th of May, 2009

Thanks everyone, this was helpful, obviously www.cathysteeth.com is a scam to get you to order the items from this target website (http://www.whiteningnow.com/deal2/?B=3&A=1009&SubAffiliateID=2528&TargetURL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.whiteningnow.com%2fdeal2%2f) flaunting a bogus "Hurry only 'X:XX' minutes left?" offer. The time reset everytime you open the webpage.

• Bo
      11th of May, 2009

freecreditreport.com is the same way, i called them to cancel 3 times and they say they cancel but just keep reducing the charge..

• Vi
      11th of May, 2009

Wow... I just recieved my "free trial" of these products today. I was really excited, until I came online to research exactly how "cathy" used the products when I came across this complaint board. I was pretty impressed that "she" lived in the same town I do! Call me naive...

• Pr
      13th of May, 2009

A little off point here but a solution to stop all unauthorized credit card charges will follow. This solution will not keep you from being charged if you authorize the transaction but will certainly protect you from the preditor who tries to take your money a second time. So do your due diligence ( or googleing) first before before buying but if you still get scammed on the first transaction anyway at least they won't be able to continue to do it over and over. SOLUTION: Due diligence then pay with a Bank Of America credit card. Don't have one get one. This CC company is no better than any other in my opinion (they will all beat you up in fee's if you let them) but they do offer one outstanding service. I can log into my account or pull out my credit card in my wallet and press a button which will generate a new CC number with an expiration date and limit of my choice. Simply stated if I order something online I create a new number, make it expire in two months, and make the limit the same amount of my purchase. Then if the company tries to overchage me, recharge me, or the server gets hacked and the breach my credit card number no big deal cause it's dead after the limit is used. The charge just shows up on my regular bill just like any other charge. I don't work for or am associated with Bank Of America and other CC companies may offer this great service-- (I wish Amex did so I could get the points). I've been using this service for almost 10 years and buy extensively on the net -- never a problem - Protect Yourself - No One Else Will!

• Pa
      13th of May, 2009

I had the same thing happen to me but it was on some face cream. They trick you with the word "free trial" and the fine print is a real light grey (so light that you really don't notice it) and when you get the confirmation e-mail that's when you find out it was a scam! Then they try to strong arm ya by telling you you can't cancel out of the thing and all kinds of BS to try to force you to keep the product. When it happened to me I immediately notified my bank which is BOA and they helped me get the stuff streightened out. I felt like a fool being duped like I was but you live and learn. The only shopping on-line that I do now is for things I don't mind paying for and if stuff says "free" anything I run like hell!

• Co
      14th of May, 2009

I am so very glad that I found this site! This complaint in particular! I clicked on a link to the "cathysteeth.com" website, and while I was reading, I found it extremely odd that "Cathy" just happened to live in the same Metro area as me. I got a weird feeling about it, so I googled "cathysteeth, real or scam?" and this was the second result I found. However, there are TONS more, as I'm sure all of the rest of you know. I'm so grateful to everyone who posted here. I came WAY too close to ordering this stuff and getting scammed. I certainly feel sorry for anyone who had to learn how this "free trial" REALLY works the hard way. I certainly will tell everyone I know who is considering this too-good-to-be-true offer that it is exactly that! Too good to be true! On a side note though, I can't help but be curious and ask; do the two whiteners even work as advertised, or is that a scam too?
    Anyhow, I'll end my comment with the following: Whoever said, "The best things in life are free" sure as heck wasn't thinking of "free*" If you see that asterisk, or something similar attached to "free, " run and don't look back!

• Ba
      14th of May, 2009

There is an ad on this complaintboard for "ericasteethcom" too. Same ad, different photo of a smiling mouth berfore and after supposedly. In todays world of photoshipping, I doubt the product was even used. They just altered the color on the teeth to look whiter. Such a scam.

• Ri
      20th of May, 2009

My husband got suckered into this, they charged us 79, and 88 dollars a piece, and have the nerve to tell you from the time you make the order your trail begins and you have fourteen days to cancel it. I just had him cancel his card, what a rip off; the only thing you can do is go to bbb and put in a complaint, I'm not sure what else can be done. I'm the one that usually does something dumb like this, but I'm pissed because i'm out by 170.00. DO NOT!!! DO NOT!!! FALL FOR THIS SCAM. Go to your dentist for whitening!

• Do
      21st of May, 2009

LOVE YOUR CITE. I too fell for this scam. Only thing, days after, I googled 'teethwhitening' because I happen to see another ad on a different site I was on. Amazing how many cites came up with the same 'stumble on this by accident' bit. Well I called the customer service # for the first one and the lady tried to tell me about a special of $18.00 instead of the $78.oo the site explains about. I stood my ground and told her what I found out about the other websites and that was the end of her sales pitch. I sent an email to the 2nd product and again listed all my findings on the internet (many websites containing the same photos, but different names, all stating they 'accidentally stumbled' on these products, etc.) and was amazed when I checked my email the next day, they responded stating my order was cancelled. I can only pray that the charges do stop like they told me or I will have to cancel my card. . . but I hope this helps anyone who is trying to cancel and feel 'pressured' to settle for the 'lower' price. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!

• Ro
      23rd of May, 2009

Just one other point to be made regarding whitening products being advertised on sites like CathysTeeth or similar sites is that if you study the before and after photo's very carefully, you'll notice that the "after" photos have usually been altered to give the appearance that several shades of whitening has occurred. In the case of the photos on CathysTeeth, both photos show several posterior (back) teeth with tooth colored crowns. Interestingly enough, in the "after" photo, not only do the natural teeth look whiter, the crowned teeth do as well. The problem is that bleaching gel products, like the ones being advertised on sites like these, don't alter or lighten artificial surfaces like porcelain crowns or tooth colored fillings, only natural tooth surfaces. The pictures are just altered that way to encourage people who see the adds to buy the product. Very misleading advertising. If someone is really interested in whitening their teeth, they would do best to consult their dentist first before trying "any" bleaching or whitening product sold over the counter or through the internet.