TechSkills / No help at all!

1 14800 QuorumAddison, TN, United States Review updated:

In my first initial meeting with the one of the schools "sales" people, he told me that medical coding was the "hot thing". That if I took their course I would be working and making lots of "money" before long. I was showed paper clippings, him trying to convince me that I would be in high demand when this was seen on my resume. That Techskills was a school held in high regard when it came to coding courses. That they had a job counselor on staff that would help me find a job.

Well I bit, hook line and sinker. $7000 later, 6 months out of school and I can't even get an interview. No one is impressed. Matter of fact, I have been advised that a CCA certification is nothing. If I want to work in the coding field I need at least 2 more certifications. I tried to get help with the so called "Career Forge" they offer and got a big fat nothing. I e-mailed, called and ask for her to send me job postings which she said she would do and I NEVER heard a word from her, well only for her to ask for my resume every time I contacted her. After 3x of that bologny I said to heck with it. I don't know if my resume was being trashed or what was going on but I never, not one time received help from this school after I finished.

I have to say that if anyone is going to take a coding course do it in a "real" class setting. Not one where worksheets and over priced books are your teachers. This was definitely something I could of done online and alot cheaper.

So here I am still unemployed with no chance of working to retrieve the $7000 I blew on this school, well not in the field I had hoped to be in at this point. I understand the mall is hiring, nothing like a couple of minimum paying jobs to pay off the ole' student loan.

My advice to you, when searching for a school that really cares about you and your future. Don't listen to high pressure sales tactics so that guy can get his bonus for signing you up. Really know what you want to do when interring these schools and last but certainly not least, make sure when they tell you they have people that will work for you to help you find a job, make them back it up with proof, I should have, this has been a very expensive and not very funny joke.

Comments

• Je
      24th of Apr, 2008

I recieved my CCA certification training from TechSkills - Dallas and was placed immediately into an internship that resulted in a full time position. Maybe you not finding a job has more to do with your personality and appearance. If you can sell yourself in front of a company it doesnt matter what your skill level is.

The CCA is a good certification and is through AHIMA. So I dont know what this lady is talking about.

Dont let one ladies frustration sway you in your decision making when it comes to choosing a school. Everyone experiences things differently.

• Ju
      18th of Aug, 2008

same thing here. Got certified and they helped me get placed immediately and the support was great thorought