Techondigital.com / Bait and Switch

Phone: 877-425-9933

I ordered a Magellan GPS 4250 at a price of $259.00 from their web site. I received a call 10 minutes later from a "sales rep" explaining that I had to purchase a 2gb SD card for $199 in order for the GPS to be updated, otherwise I would have to send the unit in to Magellan and it would take 4 months for them to update information on a yearly basis. I refused to purchase the SD card. The sales rep abruptly hung up. A couple of days later, I received an e-mail stating that they cancelled my order because there was a 6-8 week backorder. I then went to their web site and saw that the GPS was in-stock and available for shipment. I then called to place an order for the GPS and they verified that the had the GPS in stock "ready for shipment". However they pressed the issue to purchase the SD card at a discount rate of $119. I refused and am alerting everyone that this company is a scam. I finally ordered from Crutchfield.

Comments

• Da
      6th of May, 2008

Just tried to order a Garmin Nuvi 660 for $279. I immediately received a phone call to confirm the shipping address.

The rep then advised me that I needed a memory card for the unit. When I told him that I did not want a memory card he responded that I must not know what a memory card does.

I then told him to either shipped the Garmin as ordered or cancel the order. He stated, "Your order is canceled" and hung up.

Go figure.

• De
      19th of Jun, 2008

Yesterday afternoon I ordered a Garmin Nuvi 360 from TECHonDigital. After the order was accepted, I immediately received 3 concurrent e-mails asking that I call the supplied number for 'confirmation'. I was then informed about the need to purchase a 1 or 2 GB SD card to avoid future issues with upgrading maps. I told 'James' at extension 201 that I will be concerned about that when & if I choose to upgrade the maps.

I was immediately told they could sell me a 350. He asked why I wanted the 360 vs. the 350 when I refused his 'offer' and I responded that I wanted the Bluetooth functionality. I asked that the order be cancelled when he informed me that the 360 was out of stock.

Save yourself a headache and avoid this vendor altogether.

• De
      2nd of Jul, 2008

EXACT same thing...ordered a GPS...got the phone call to buy important accessories which I declined...rep said it would be shipped today...5 minutes later I received the email that it was on a 4 month backorder and my order was cancelled...

• Ge
      24th of Jul, 2008

This company is a total SCAM. They use bait-and-switch tactics to try and get you to purchase overpriced and unnecessary accessories in addition to your product order. If you don't accept the accessories, you are told they have no product and you must wait six to eight weeks.

It is a lie - avoid them like the plague - same thing for cameraaddict.com - they sound exactly the same as techondigital and are also located in Brooklyn, NY (possibly the same company?).

• Fr
      24th of Jul, 2008

I totally agree! I didn't order the accessories 4 days ago and they still haven't billed my credit card. Based on the reviews I've read since then, I'm not expecting them to ever send me the camera. I'm writing to Mastercard now - maybe they can do something?

• Tg
      31st of Jul, 2008
    Techondigital.com - FRAUD
    techonDigital
    techondigital.com

these guys advertise all kinds of LOW prices and then don't have the low priced items in stock. by that time they've already captured your email address. They also call you to try to sell you something else they have. It's FRAUD and BAIT and SWITCH

8th of Aug, 2008

TechonDigital - FRAUD

I order a camcorder from them.

Next day they called to "confirm" my order, and told me I had to buy a battery seperately. I argued that the battery was included.

He (William - Tel#: 1877 425 9933 X205) then told me the camcorder was on back order 6-8 weeks. I told him the website said it was 7-10 days!

He kept repeating himself and then hung up the phone on me after I said I would like to cancel my order emmediately!

Stays far away!

• Da
      20th of Aug, 2008

Absolutely a fraud.

Low price advertised, then they call to confirm order andwhen you won't buy overpriced accessories they don't ship item.

Is there a way to put them out of business.

• Mi
      14th of Sep, 2008

the same thing happened to me today on the 14 sept 08. they tried to tell me that i needed the extra stuff but i told him that i don't need any extra items, but tried to pushed more stuff on me, they hung up on me lie 3 times, and had me on hold, but they are out to get your money, scam, let it be known.

• La
      14th of Sep, 2008

these guys are out to get your money from you and they emailed me saying to make sure my oder went through to call them and confirmed the sale, but it was that they wanted to make more money and also tried to pushed more stuff on me. then he canceled my order. theyare fraud people, be alert and more alert about them.

• Fr
      19th of Sep, 2008

They are a total fraud. They called to confirm the order and some guy trying to sell me more stuff and very very rude about it. Then the next day I received an email saying the item was on backorder!?
    ###!!!

• Ad
      9th of Oct, 2008

Totally,

After ordering online I recieved a phone call. These guys tried to offer me a map update for $40 (Its free after you register on Garmin.com) and after I told em to shove it, they said that the actual Garmin 350 was a Japanese version and it would be $30 to upgrade to English...I told them to cancel. They will list the product at below avg price but call to hard sell you on stuff that is free but for a significant cost to you. Definatly a fly by night Jerk-off ran business. Dont bother with them.

• Ri
      2nd of Nov, 2008

Order Cannon sd990is via online with Techon Digital. Received confirmation of order and told to call to confirm. Transferred to sales department. Salesman said this camera requires ultra 6 SD card. I told him I have read specs and it did not specify this and that I have required memory. He then said did I realize this order would take 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. I told him it did not indicate that on the web page and he said it just went backorder and did I want to cancel order. I said no and would wait. This tactic is just a way to upsale the customer and when that doesn't work then they try to get you to cancel order by saying the product is not in stock. I will see if the camera is actually shipped.

• Do
      14th of Nov, 2008
    TechonDIGITAL for GPS Garmin Nuvi 660 - Huge RIP OFF
    TECHONdigital

OK, not that there isn't plenty already there to warn you. I thought enough to check, but my poor father in-law was taken. This email is what I sent them and typical invoice below. BEWARE, they come under many names and I'm still scratching my head wondering why someone hasn't shut them down.

It seems that all the negative in that came up in "Google" was indeed true. However, before I could warn him, you took my father in-law for $60.00 dollars for a so called "restocking fee". His name is MB and is a senior citizen that lives on a fixed income in Elon, North Carolina. He needed the GPS that you advertised on your site for $165.00. to be able to take my mother in-law for medical treatment throughout areas that he was unable to find on his on. After you tried to swindle him into buying into all that crap about the so called "extras" that he would need he was pushed into the corner and relented by handing you $60.00 dollars(the restocking fee) that you and your company did not deserve. I hope you can sleep at night and know that personally he may forgive and even I may forgive what you have done to him and others like him, but GOD may he never forget these harms, these wrongs that you and your company swindle against these poor people whose lives and pockets you take advantage of. May God burn into your minds and hearts the wrongs that you do daily and may there be a hell for ALL of you that do these wrongs your gracious souls someday a place to reside. Be happy from the great masterminds at the top of these so called companies that advertise under so many names all the way down to the "James" employees that answer the phone at the bottom, that plain and simple, you are "Bottom feeders". May the wrongs you do to so many come back to you in the way that you so richly deserve. What incredible worms, snakes and whores you ALL are. Yes, bottom feeders! Sleep well…
    Below is what you will get after ordering, but they will tell you to call and confirm order. At this point they try and sell you high priced stuff you do not need. You quickly go from $165. to over $400. then when you have had enough you say "cancel" then they hit you with a restocking fee to the tune of $60.. However, I tried and was not taken. They then tell you to enjoy your GPS. After 2 or 3 days they email you to cancel order saying it is back ordered.How can these bottom feeders exist on sites that are top sites on google? I saw hundreds of people who had been taken yet they are still in business. BEWARE!!!

-----Original Message-----
    From: sales@TECHONdigital.com [mailto:sales@TECHONdigital.com]
    Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2008 1:19 AM

Cc: sales@TECHONdigital.com
    Subject: TechonDIGITAL.com: Your Order Confirmation

Thank you for your order. Your order has been received.Please call us at 877-425-9933 (Mon-Thur: 10:30am EST to 8:30pm EST, Friday: 10:30am EST to 6pm EST, Sunday: 11:00am EST to 8:00pm EST) to confirm your order, so we may have it shipped out to you as soon as possible.
    Order ID:
    Order Date: Sat Nov 08 01:18:38 2008
    ProductID Quantity Name Price Total

garminnuvi1 Garmin nuvi 660 Widescreen Travel Assistant with FM Transmitter and Bluetooth Technology $ 165.00 $ 165.00

Sub Total: $ 165.00
    Discount: $ 0.00
    Shipping: $ 8.49
    Shipping Method: Ground 7-10 Business Days
    Tax: $ 0.00
    Grand Total: $ 173.49
    Thank you for shopping with us.
    www.TechonDIGITAL.com
    Phone: 877-425-9933

• Sc
      7th of Feb, 2009

Had a 'bait and switch' experience with this outfit also. My failure to buy pricy add ons and an extended warranty for a Sony Digital Camera resulted in them cancelling my order a week later...too late for me to order from another vendor in time for the camera's intended gift recipient. Avoid these jerks and save yourself a lot of time and grie[censored] Like the old saying goes...if the deal looks too good to be true...