TD Financial / Fake checks

1 3456 Richmond RoadToronto, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 778-893-4255

I received a letter in the mail saying that I had won $450, 000.00 along with a check in the amount of $4, 950.00. They have a name on the letter that you are supposed to call before claiming your winnings. Tax agent Kathy Sowder told me to deposit the check but didn't ask for my account number, so unfortunately I deposited the check not knowing the check was a fake, my bank called me and wanted to report me to the police for check fraud, therefore they closed my checking account. The purpose of this check was to pay the Non-Resident Government Service Tax. The promotions manager's name is Sam Garfield. I think that theses people that are trying to create scams ought to be in jail. This kind of crap is ridiculous. They also give you a serial number that you won on. Like for example: the serial number they gave me was [protected]. There is no such number, also the same for the address that they give you. Something needs to be done about these scams.

Comments

9th of Aug, 2008

"This kind of crap is ridiculous."
    No, what's ridiculous is that you thought that corporations simply handed out free money. Do you live in the 21st century or not?

12th of Aug, 2008

I just received a check for 3, 700 and they are asking me to deposit it so i can pay for the non resident taxes on 450, 000.000 so they want me to deposit the check mean while ill write them a check for 2, 700 and my bank will put a hold on there check, an when i find out there check is no good they just screwed me out of 2, 700 be careful of this scam,

• Ro
      19th of Sep, 2008

I have just recieved a letter today saying that I have won 250, 000.00 and that I needed to cash the 3, 900.00 check that was enclosed in the envelope addressed from the same scamers that all of you guys have mentioned. After reading, I did notice that they want you to deposit and then send them 95% of your deposit. I did not fall for the crap because ANY LOTTERY THAT ASKS YOU TO PAY THE TAXES IS A SCAM!!!If you do win, the taxes are taken out of your winnings from the state. So I say better luck next time silly rabbits, tricks are for kids!

• Mi
      23rd of Sep, 2008

THIS IS A HUGE SCAM!!! I DID THE RESEARCH AND FOUND THAT THIS COMPANY DOESNT EXIST! THEY NEED TO BE STOPPED! DO NOT CASH THE CHECK AND DO NOT SEND THEM ANY MONEY!! TAKE IT STRAIGHT TO POLICE DEPARTMENT AND LETS GET THIS SCAM STOPPED RIGHT AWAY!! THESE PEOPLE SUCK!!

• Mi
      24th of Sep, 2008

Who can help me ?

I did receive such a letter and I fell for it .
    The received check was deposited, however the bank did not want to take any risks and put a 12 day hold on the check.The lady said I have 4 days to pay the taxes otherwise i forfeight the prize.I paid out of my pocket the taxes and the insurence for the money to be covered by ups. Its been 20 days since i made the payment, no one called, no letters . Its hard to catch anyone to give you an honost answer when you call -either the phone answer machine is full or the associate .can not acess your file to tell you-------.Hey stupid we got you or no its a clerical error.
    Can anything be done under the law...will 20/20 get involved if more people come forward or is it a last cause along with the money?
    mikeob-

• Be
      30th of Sep, 2008

This is the second check I recieved in one month. Is there anyway this can be stopped? Do we contact our local police department or the News Companies or what?

• Al
      16th of Nov, 2008

I have gotten two of these checks, didn't fall for it, put it through the shredder! No one is going to just send you a check out of the blue, everyone should be smart enough to realize that!