TD Bank / stealing from customers

150 Weaver blvd, Weaverville, NC, United States Review updated:
Phone: 645 6610

TD Bank Steals from customers

TD Bank Weaverville has on several occasions signed me up for overdraft "protection" without my consent. They have told me that they have a right to do this, as well as to re-order debits so as to maximize fees. I am not alone in being a victim of their practice of charging overdraft fees on occasions when I was not overdrawn. In fact, No matter how careful you are about never over spending, you will fall into their trap of ever increasing fees and penalties. Avoid TD Bank at all costs.

Comments

• So
      21st of Apr, 2012

Sure a person should be careful not to overdraft, but it's wrong for any bank to rearrange the debits to increase the fees they get to charge someone. That is just plain crooked. What do we expect from banks, though. They're all crooked.

22nd of Apr, 2012

soleil - The banks don't look at a customer's account balance when processing charges. There is no conspiracy in that regard. whythelong faces is correct, if you wish to avoid OD fees, make sure you have adequate available funds to cover your expenditures and you will never have to worry what order charges are processed in.

22nd of Apr, 2012

I didn't say banks look at customer's accounts individually. I said that their software is set up so that people are charged the maximum overdraft fees.
    When a transaction has already gone through and then it's suddenly placed in a different order on another day after a bigger transaction goes through, that's wrong.

You can defend the banks all you want. EVERYONE who has any common sense knows the banks rip people off every day.

22nd of Apr, 2012

ANYONE who has common sense knows how to manage their money to avoid OD's.

22nd of Apr, 2012

ANYONE can make a mistake every once in a while. That's no reason for the bank to have a right to dig into the pockets of its customers and rob them blind. Their practice of arranging ...no RE-arranging, the debits to put larger ones first so there is a higher chance of over draft is unfair at best.

You must be a bank employee or something. Your defensiveness makes me laugh.

22nd of Apr, 2012

Your ignorance is what is laughable. It is your money and your account, make them work for you, not against you. Bank disclosures spell it out for you, if you cannot comprehend banking 101, have your personal banker spell it out for you.

22nd of Apr, 2012

Getting angry are you? I can tell you are, as your level of insult is on the rise. You know I'm right and you can't stand it.

Hahaha!

This is awesome.

22nd of Apr, 2012

janker, why do you assume I don't already know this? I already know this. I still don't think it's fair and I think it's BS that the banks want to make sure people's " most important" transactions go through first. Oh PLEASE! That doesn't even make sense. Just because a transaction is bigger, doesn't mean it's more important.

In any case, it sounds like you and the other guy are assuming that I, personally, have had problems balancing a checking account.
    Just because I think this policy of most banks is unfair doesn't mean I have had it happen to me. Some people can have compassion and understanding for others in this world and don't have to directly experience an injustice in order to speak out against it.

I still feel that this practice of banks is unfair and my believing that doesn't make me stupid.
    Your resorting to name calling, however, likely means that YOU are the one who has an intelligence deficit.

22nd of Apr, 2012

Not angry, lol. Frustrated with consumers who agree to the terms and policies that were disclosed to them and then complain when those terms and policies are actually applied to them.

22nd of Apr, 2012

So you call people names when you aren't angry?
    Brenda,

Wow..seems you are in need of anger management therapy.

There's really no point to your or anyone's continuing to repeat the banks' policies over and over again. I know what the policies are.

I will continue to maintain that I think they are unfair. The banks get away with it because they know that everyone HAS to have a bank account in order to function normally in this society. If a person decides not to because they disagree with the practices (which are just a way to milk money out of people), they would be treated like a second class citizen.
    Since virtually all banks have this same rip off policy, it's not like shopping around for a different bank will help.

Anyway, you can continue arguing ( and name calling) if you want to, but I'm choosing right now not to waste anymore of my time reading your comments or responding to you or anyone else who feels the need to defend banks.

So, you'll be just wasting your time and you might as well be talking to the wall.

Good luck on that anger thing you have going. Remember the first step to getting better is to admit you have a problem.

• 2b
      26th of Apr, 2012

If you knew the rules and policies then why did you even open an account in the first place? If you knew the rules then this could have been avoid by YOU because the whole problem was caused by YOU. And if you think it is unfair how they take the largest amount first, a. you should have never opened an account because it is like that in every bank b. make sure you have enough money in your account to cover it. Overdraft is no ones fault but your own, now deal with the fees instead of blaming banks for your mistakes.

• To
      13th of May, 2012

There have been a couple of issues I want to restate or clarify. To begin with, I have never tried to spend more than I had. If I deposit cash one day, and use my debit card the next, I should not have a problem. Unless I bank with TD Bank. The cash gets credited to your account when they decide to do it. The second point is about re-ordering debits. The Fair Overdraft Coverage Act make it against the law for them to re-order your debits. Yes, TD Bank has a rule stating that they can order your transactions anyway they please, but they can make what ever rules they want. Anyone can make a rule. I am sure that TD bank could insert text into their disclosures saying that bank employees will have the right to come over to customer's homes and have sex with their children. However, when they come over to your house with a copy of their rule, They will still go to jail, or worse.
    Oh- I never willingly opened an account with TD Bank- They bought our local bank and ruined it, after I already had an account.

• Th
      13th of May, 2012

whythelongfaces is a bank teller

13th of May, 2012

And you are a tattle teller liddy.

13th of May, 2012

You wish slim, you wish...

• Ji

Wow! I love other men..

• Je
      1st of Sep, 2012

Hey Brenda,

Why do you think the banks automatically enroll you for overdraft "protection" without consent. It works in the banks favor. Most people will not read the fine print and won't realize this. The bank is banking on it!
    So, they play the numbers game. Oh, how those fees will rack up.
    All it takes is for a company that you have automatic payments set up with to make a slip up and over charge or make a mistake. The overdrafts start piling up and you unaware that your overdrawn keep spending money.
    Brilliant scheme by the crooks.

1st of Sep, 2012

Hey Jekyll,

The Federal Reserve began to require financial institutions to get your permission to enroll customers in OD protection quite some time ago. Meaning you have to opt in. It's your money, take personal responsibility and make it work for you, not against you by knowing your bank's policies.

• Se
      26th of Jun, 2014

Actually, all banks do not engage in this fraudulent practice. It is nothing but theft, and I'm sure TD Bank will be paying out a hefty sum in a class action suit in the near future. We briefly opened an account there, and all was well until my husband accidentally paid a bill with a check from the account, when he should have used a check from a different account. If the check had bounced I would have understood-our mistake. If the check had cleared and we were charged an overdraft - fine, our mistake and that is fair. What is NOT fair or ethical is what happened to us. They randomly reordered over twelve debit card transactions from days before (that were all covered by cash in our account), adding late fees as they went, even kicking some out and allowing them to come back and charging a new late fee! We were charged nearly $400 in these fees. It's absolutely unconscionable, and one of the many ways the poor get poorer in our society. I am perfectly willing to pay what is fair for our mistake, but to take one mistake and turn it into 12 is beyond the pale. NEVER bank with TD Bank.