TD Bank / fees

New York, NY, United States Review updated:

As a former employee of Commerce Bank, I must say that while I do not believe that Commerce did their employees justice (minimal pay, lousy benefits, etc), the customer service and perks of being a Commerce Bank customer were phenomenal.

Now, TD Bank has swallowed Commerce Bank and regurgitated this disgusting, pathetic example for "America's Most Convenient Bank". Overdraft fees are through the roof. Personally, I'm very upset that the interest checking account (a min. of $1, 000 gains interest and reversal of foreign bank ATM fees) is obsolete. And now I hear from my former colleagues that the new system (the old system was by far more friendly) is creating huge problems for customers.

For all of you bankers out there, know this inside info: When a bank tells you that they are merging or a new system is coming along, MAKE PREPARATIONS TO MOVE YOUR MONEY ELSEWHERE either temporarily or permanently. Trust me. You will save yourself a lot of headaches.

Comments

• Td
      10th of Sep, 2009

As we Build the Better Bank our goal is to establish a common product set. These product changes will ensure that our Customers from Maine to Florida all have access to the same financial products. These changes did affect some fees and products. But our new product set offers more options, making it easier for Customers to find a product that fits their banking preferences. Our store representatives are happy to discuss options with you. Please contact your local store or our 24/7 call center at 888-751-9000. Thank you!

• Do
      3rd of Oct, 2009

You had a Better Bank when you acquired Commerce Bank. No need to change, don't fix it, it wasn't broken!! Just wait there will be a run on your bank by the weeks end. This institution is not building a" better bank" it is destroying the very foundation of a brilliantly conceived business platform (you know, the conservative, conscientious kind). Your current platform is greed based and will never survive in a competitive market.

Mr. Hill started his bank based upon the simple principle that if you make a bank convenient, service oriented and take in deposits from the "everyman" you build a depository institution that grows quickly. Then you put in place very conservative lending practices, and personally oversee every loan in excess of "x" number of dollars and demand that your lending officers justify to you personally why that loan should be underwritten! Please note that Commerce Bank was never a part of the sub prime/credit default swap debacle that ruined our economy.

I can't wait to see Metro Banks open on every opposite corner from your existing branches. Oh, and don't use the "store" concept anymore, that one belongs to Mr. Hill, his brainchild... NOT YOURS!

My dog will again look forward to her treats and fresh water at Metro. It may be stupid, but it was very successful, so successful that you bought the "brand". The big red M will probably stand for Merit and Market share, so watch out for your market share as it is about to make a mass exodus. I am "outta here".

Anonymous and my little dog too...

5th of Oct, 2009

I am an employee of TD Bank, and you're all right! TD BANK SUCKS! We were just fine until Commerce came into the picture. Even the ###ing Canadians did a better job at running this institution! As employees, we've lost WAY more than we've gained, and I'm even jumping on the band wagon and closing my account! It took FOUR days for my TD Bank payroll check to become available to me...I'm going with a stable and properly run and managed Credit Union for my next bank...Screw TD Bank and all the piece of ### Execs that don't know their ### from a hole in the ground!

18th of Nov, 2009

First I made a deposit on Sat. suppose to go through on Monday the deposit actually went through Tuesday but showed that it was available Monday. Yet on Sat. and Sun. the Available and the “balance” were different. Yet on Monday I went to an ATM, and did some shopping looked at my balance Tuesday and it was fine, Wednesday there was a $210.00 fee on my account, an overdraft fee which my account statement NEVER showed negative. Without getting into all of the boring details of the back and forth conversation I am very disappointed after 10 YEARS of business they pretty much said too bad we don’t care. The withdrawals were made on Monday the deposit was made on Monday why the fees. This has changed as I have been with them 10years plus and never had the issues I have had in the past few months. To top it all off last month I emailed them about OD fees when my account was not negative and they just emailed me back saying we have reversed the charges, I was assuming they made a mistake and never thought twice about it….So the $210.00 fee they said they would not reverse cause I had the other two reversed. I proceeded to tell her that I thought the fees were a mistake they made that no one explained anything and I have the emails, they didn’t care at all. I continued to tell her that there are numerous times I have had an available balance different form my total balance and that there are times that I hit an ATM and try to grab $200.00 only to realize I only have $180.00 and it denies me but now all of the sudden you are telling me that I can overdraw from an ATM???? Horrible to a long time customer like myself. After $210.00 four weeks before Christmas Three kids living check to check, they now say that I can cancel out of this program? Thanks a little late for that!!!

• Ae
      3rd of Dec, 2009

Does anyone know who we can email...to get these complaints stopped. They have taken money from our acct early to pay online bills making us over drawn. Ever since they took over from Commerce things have gone downhill.
    I very much would like the email address of the ceo..perhaps everyone emailing him with these complaints might help!

• Sb
      8th of Dec, 2009

Opening a new account (NOT with TD BANK) unless you have millions maybe! What’s up with all the fees? I got so many fees from this bank from when I opened it to now I can’t take it anymore. I have a small business just making it month to month and the fees are just too much! The only time I have problems is when I write a checks let me explain. I deposit checks on Sunday but I don’t have the funds until Tuesday and that’s ok. What’s not ok is when I write a check out TD gets the check does not post it in pending transactions and then on Tuesday they take it out of my account and say they got it on Monday then give me a fee for it because I did not have funds in my account yet! Wait I’m not done anything I did on Monday like take $40 out of a TD atm get gas and go to walmart now puts my account off because of the check they say they got Monday! I now have $140 in fees one for the check one for taking cash out of my TD atm one for gas and one for using my debit card at walmart. It’s how their software works it’s designed to fee you any way it can so make sure you have lost of $$ to wast if you open a account with TD.

• Is
      12th of Feb, 2010

During Christmas season, I was a bit careless with my money and spent more than I had. I still managed to pay off the overdraft fees I received for this. January comes and goes, and I never went into the negative. I was somewhat responsible with my money. February 2nd, I get a $140.00 overdraft fee. I only had $129 in my account at the time, so obviously I'm in the negative. I wasn't aware of this overdraft, so I spent money on food, gas and clothes. A few more fees later, and I'm now at -$270.

I've included a picture of my history (The black bars are censors. Don't want to show where I live). I can't include my entire January history, but believe me when I say that I never went negative, so there should be no fees. Did I do something wrong, or did TD Bank screw up?

• Is
      12th of Feb, 2010

Yeah, I realized it was too small after I submitted it. When I said "somewhat responsible" I meant that most of the money I spent during January was just for things I needed. Some of it was used on things I wanted. I looked over all of my expenses in January and none of them put me in the red. I always had money in my account. It's a students account, so it's allowed to go down to zero. But it never did.

• Ve
      9th of Mar, 2010

TD Bank allows large transactions to be paid under the guise of overdraft protection. This allows them to collect hundreds of dollars in fees of subsequent smaller transactions. This is in effect theft as there is no recourse to dispute these charges.

• Sk
      10th of Mar, 2010

Actually, this is a common occurrence among most banks. The best thing to do is to insist that the "overdraft protection" be removed from your account. Unfortunately, at this time, there is no recourse for this. However, thanks to a recent bill that has passed, this will not be the case in the future.

Effective August 1, 2010, banks can only charge an overdraft fee equal to the amount of the check that bounces up to a maximum of either $25 or $29 (I can't remember which, exactly). This means that if a $2.00 check bounces, the overdraft fee cannot exceed $2.00. If a $100.00 check bounces, the overdraft fee cannot exceed $25/$29 (whichever it is).

Unfortunately, this doesn't help you right now, but at least things will be changing in the future to curtail this ludicrous charges that banks are receiving (although not bouncing a check in the first place is the best option).

• Ve
      10th of Mar, 2010

The funny thing is that I did remove the overdraft protection 2 weeks earlier.
    The charge that put me over was authorized 3 months earlier, refunded at some point and then resubmitted without my knowledge.
    TD bank is absolutely horible

• Ba
      22nd of Mar, 2010

TD is behind the market again, charging $35.00 fees on debit card overdrafts of under a dollar, ripping off consumers by the way they process transactions (large to small) and encouraging debit card overdrafting. They should take a look at what Bank of America is doing. TD is doomed in the long run. Commerce Bank really drove the market in so many good ways. TD has nothing unique to offer and is very good at upsetting customers. I expect to see branch closings and consolidation in the near future as thousands of account holders leave.

• Du
      5th of Jun, 2010

TD Bank took over Commerce Bank which had an excpetional approach to customer service, and to no surprise, won the JD Power and Associates Award for exceptional service. It is no surprise that this ranking has dropped for the past years that TD Bank has consistently destroyed Commerce Bank's customer service model. Sneaky fees, delayed availability of funds, and long wait times on the phone. I hope JD Power sends me a survey for these creeps so I can voice my dismay. I'm sure I'm not alone though, so whoever gets the surveys should SLAM these crooks. I paid $210 in fees, mostly on transactions valued between $1 and $5, due to a single overdraft mishap. These practices are foul. We don't expect this, coming from the excellent service provided by Commerce Bank. I am seriously considering switching banks and I hope others will do the same because that's the only way it will really have an impact.

• Em
      30th of Aug, 2010

TD Bank are a bunch of crooks with their overdraft protection purchase schemes. They will actually send you a new debit card and tell you to activate and once you activate it, they fail to tell you that you have automatically enrolled the overdraft protection even if you never had it before or want it. TD Bank also has a weird way of depositing other bank checks (Payroll or Government) into your TD Bank accounts by only allowing the first $100 to go into your immediate account and placing the remainder into a debit (-) status, so if you already have checks out for the true amount they will bounce and then they will charge you for the checks that bounce and if you have overdraft protection they will pay but charge you for the so called "overdraft protection". Also don't try to deposit a Cashiers Check into a TD Bank Account it will take weeks than getting same day cash from the same bank that issued the Cashiers Check. To everyone who has a TD BANK account beware, as for me I will be looking for a more honest bank.

• Do
      14th of Sep, 2010

i opened up a bank account with them in jan of this year and ever since they seem to make up new rules and fees.. now im a working mother i have had called them many times to question there methods and all they can say is oh well basically how right is this.. now on more then few ocassions they have robbed pay check because i wasnt well informed i had explained this to them and they say well we cant grant you a fee removal we already wave you one and im like are you serious ..they are nothing but bloody robbing pirates and they needed to be taken down.. i plan on closing my account this week because of there fees i never felt so robbed in my life...and cant believe they get away with this i even called my local newspaper on this .. i wrote them an email and stated when times got bad you guys had the great bail out from the american taxpayers...what about us poor people..

• Mo
      6th of Mar, 2011

huh really i thinks before you start trying to use facts like the banks being bailed out you might want to double check... td bank was not one of the banks that recieved a bail out...

2nd of May, 2011

I keep noticing a $15 service fee appearing in my TD Bank checking account after every direct deposited paycheck and I have a $4 maintenance fee showing up in my savings on a regular basis. I will me moving my money to another bank and would advice everyone else to stay away from this bank. TD Bank nickel and dimes their customers to death with unreasonable fees.

• Te
      24th of Jul, 2011

Sadly, TD Canada Trust is no different.

I had a teller and manager tell me the reason they wouldn't deposit and make funds available to me from a US cashiers check was because US banks don't cooperate with Canadian banks.. ?!?! Then they told me it was because they couldn't verify the signature on the cashiers check, then they told me it was because I didn't have enough activity going through my personal bank account (the cashiers check as being deposited into my Business account), etc., etc. They kept making excuse after excuse.
    I always leave TD Bank branches feeling lied to and discriminated against.

• Rm
      8th of Sep, 2011

Since TD has taken over for Commerce they have been horrible. Apparently, and deposits made at an ATM take much longer to process then if you wait and go to a teller (not very convenient). Also, we had protection where our debit card would be denied if funds were not available on our business account (I took a lot of time to specifically set this up) but apparently $175 later in fees, it never existed. I will be switching.

8th of Sep, 2011

That is nothing, when most people dont even know. Banks use your own money and they want you to pay on top. Wait from ellen67 to come and bite your head off.

8th of Sep, 2011

Then we should stick to cash only.

Can you say to a big company pay in cash, or small one for that matter?

8th of Sep, 2011

So you know banks use your own money.

If people stop using banks. Money will not circulate. Will be harder then. At least for most of us.

8th of Sep, 2011

Why would I bite his head off; if what he says is accurate, his card should have declined and the bank messed up. I would recommend reviewing what the available balance was when the card was authorized and what the balance was when the transaction posted to the account. That can make the difference between a bank mistake or bad bookkeeping.

JPN, you are choking on your foot...

8th of Sep, 2011

By the way JPN: the government can direct deposit your SSI. No need for the post office or cashing the 'check'. In fact, a lot of banks waive the MMF if you have direct deposit. EDUCATE yourself...

8th of Sep, 2011

So banks can use the money? Then I should have a saving account they are using my money after all.

I wont have 1500 at the end of the month as they want me.

If you are so rich then stop complaining to less fortunate people and help.

No one asks for your money. Simple see all people point of view.

One day you might need some one.

I wasnt in this mess when Clinton was president.

8th of Sep, 2011

Never said I was rich, but I don't EXPECT private citizens or businesses to pick up my slack. Go cry to the government.

And I have donated my time and money to charities ( more time than money), but I like helping good causes. You would not qualify as a good cause.

Less fortunate than me? Because I take fiscal responsibility and you don't? Well guess what? I was rear ended at a red light by an 18 yr old girl driving an uninsured 20 yr old car. I am now legally disabled and limited in my past activities due to the negligence and ignorance of another person. "Car insurance was too expensive"..."didn't KNOW what was required by law": wah-wah-wah. Should have been HER problem but it is now MY problem. Oh and I won't be getting SSI from the government. But I usually have no problem with the post office.

So I have little tolerance for people who put their problems off on some else and don't bother to educate themselves on important matters.

8th of Sep, 2011

little tolerance? On other people?

Even when is not their fault that their life changed. With a notice? I guess Banks are the same.

Lets weight them.

Bank vs Individual that life turned up side down.

Please next time before some one get sick send a notice in advance.

Banks can do that. People have no warning.

Sarcastic
    "YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOO RIGHT"

8th of Sep, 2011

Keep playing the victim, and you will always be one.

PS: tolerance for the afflicted person is different than tolerance of their stupidity unrelated to their affliction. I can feel sorry for your disability but not for your ignorance.

8th of Sep, 2011

My ignorance for not getting the mail they said they sent to me?

Or a mail or phone call? How bout when I was there last month?

I guess having www.usbank.com the message is not working. On their sites.

Yes my ignorance. |-)

8th of Sep, 2011

Let me know AFTER you researched the bank sites, compared their accounts/fees, and made a choice on a new bank. Otherwise, all of this is a waste of time. You just want to play VICTIM.

8th of Sep, 2011

How many time do I have to say it? 5 years ago was ok if I had $500. After 5 years they changed it and I was not notified.

After that I am still the victim.

You are by your own ignorance, miss I have more then one bank account and Im not rich.

8th of Sep, 2011

Unless you communicated incorrectly, did your last post say you have more than one account? Would you like to share THAT experience.

AGAIN:

Let me know AFTER you researched the bank sites, compared their accounts/fees, and made a choice on a new bank. Otherwise, all of this is a waste of time. You just want to 'play' VICTIM.

8th of Sep, 2011

OMG you said, I have two accounts. For buying stuff from the internet and another one for the cat or dog which you have both.

8th of Sep, 2011

It was already established that you are ignorant, but you are crazy also. And if that is (mental illness) is your disability, I wont repeat it again.

However, I said I had multiple accounts and I mentioned I used one for online purchases. You said two earlier, not me. Dog and Cat? What is that?

8th of Sep, 2011

Once again rude are you sure age has nothing to do with it?

Yes you have one for your internet and the other one for your dogs and cats. Meaning is not yours. You just wanted to say two bank accounts.

• Cy
      24th of Feb, 2012

After a visit to a branch and a phone call was informed that TD Bank now charges a 5.00 per check cashed fee for all checks cashed whether they be personal checks or payroll checks drawn on their bank if you are not a TD bank customer. I feel this is an unfair practice for them to charge people to cash checks drawn their bank.

• Sh
      7th of Mar, 2012

I just went to a TD Bank in NJ to cash two reimbursement checks from my employer, which totalled about $25.00. I do not have any accounts at TD bank and the Manager advised that it would cost me $10.00 to cash the two checks. I told her even though my employer has two accounts here, she still said no. Then she assumed that I wanted to open a new account and I told her absolutely not, I will cash them at my own bank. This is just crazy, they were going to take half of my money. NO THANKS TD BANK!!!

• Ds
      7th of Mar, 2012

Why didn't you go to your bank to cash the checks first?

• Ns
      21st of Mar, 2012

ok so about a month or two ago i opened an account with TD bank and it seemed really cool especially the student banking. I deposited a 150 dollar payroll check from rite aid
    and i had to go out and buy a few things then i went out to eat then two days later i go and check my account my account is -90$ so im mad i call them and they say well the 100 from the check went through but the 50 didn't how the heck does that happen anyways i told them i want both fees gone because that's not my fault and they took away one fee and i said nope and closed the account

• De
      23rd of Apr, 2012

Recently had a similar experience. Took my daughter to cash a 25 dollar birthday check. We have had several accts. with TD bank for several years. Imagine my surprise when they wanted to charge her a 5 dollar fee because she did not have an acct. she just turned 18 and we had not set one up for her yet. When I complained they kept saying that there were special student accts she could open right then. They did waiver the fee "for just one time" because I co signed the check using my acct. number. It seemed all they wanted was for her to open an acct. we have had accts with TD Bank and the banks they took over since 1985. This is not how you treat customers.