TBC Financials / Terrible experience

I received a letter dated October 27th stating my name had been randomly drawn from the prize pool from several companies, i.e. Publishers Clearing House, Readers Digest, Online Sweepstakes to name a few. The letter stated that I had won $100, 000 and they sent a check, on real check stock, for $4888.53 - the amount the government would require me to pay on the winnings.

It stated that I needed to call Diana Wilson or Sean Peter at [protected] (a Toronto number) before 11-17-2008 for authorization and activation. When I called the number I got a message that the voicemail box was full. The letter is signed Jaun O. Wane.

The letter is convincing in that TBC Financial is located at the address listed in Michigan. The check is written by The Bottle Crew on a Charter One bank account. Both the branch listed and The Bottle Crew are legitimate companies. I looked all of it up on the internet and did not get a hit until I searched for Jaun O. Wane. Then I got a hit on this site. I am turning it over to the Washington State Attorney General and to the FBI in the hopes that it will turn up for others who go searching.

Va

Comments

• He
      29th of Nov, 2008

I got a letter from "Gotcha Financials" -A division of G.P.C. INC 543 91st Ave NE Unit F Everett, WA 97865 phone # (647)890-3656 (which I find is in Canada). There was a check for $4, 755.35 enclosed stating it was 3.8% goverment recommended taxes on your winnings. Also It said my name was randomly chosen through a computerized ballot as a winner of the FOURTH QUARTER of 2008 Sweepstakes drawing. I called them right away to find out what the catch was, and got a very rude lady on the phone that answered. I told her about the letter and she rudly asked for my claim number. I gave it to her & she put me on hold for 5 minutes. She got back on the phone to tell me she activated my check & I could cash it. Then she went through this scripted congradulations in a very rude voice & told me to call them after the check was deposited so they could give me some tax information. After she was done I asked "is this check real?" She responded "It is 100% real". I told her I've been scamed before, & she was silent on the other end, then I said O.K. I'll call tommarow. No response just silence on the other end. I hung up and stupid me was excited. I took the check to my bank, & had the manager look at the letter & check. He said it was probably a scam, & not to deposit the check, but to call them back & tell them I did. I will call them tommarow to see what they say. The bank manager said if they ask me to send money, or anything like that then I would know if it's a scam. I AM SO PISSED AFTER COMING TO THIS WEB SIGHT TO FIND THIS IS ANOTHER SCAM! I WILL DO EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO BUST THESE PEOPLE. IN A TIME OF RESESSION, & HOLIDAYS, HOW THE HELL DO THESE PEOPLE GET AWAY WITH THIS? I FEEL SO BAD FOR THE PEOPLE THAT GOT SCREWED BY THESE PEOPLE.