TaxMasters of Houston / Fraud and Misrepresentation

900 Town & Country Lane
I had several thousand dollars in tax debt. While this doesn't seem like much, I am a single mother who barely makes ends meet. TaxMasters promised to intervene with the IRS and reduce my debt to "nothing, or at least pennies on the dollar." I began getting suspicious when I could not get through to speak to anyone in person. I got the same old tired message about being number so&so in line with a wait time of four minutes. It was always four minutes, no matter how far I had advanced in the call waiting line. On the occasions that I could hold for 30 minutes, I had to leave a voicemail. NONE of my calls were returned. I had been told during my initial "free consultation" who my "personal" case manager would be. I was able to wait for at least 30 minutes one day trying to contact TaxMasters by phone, when to my surprise my case manager answered the phone. She knew NOTHING of me or my case. I was put on hold for another 10 minutes while she found out what she should have already known. The ONLY time I received a phone call from TaxMasters was to make sure the payment options I had chosen were correct and they would be getting my money. This fraudulent company has now debited my account for two pay periods and done absolutely NOTHING to help reduce my debt. The IRS was not notified that my case was being handled, as I was promised, creating more penalty and interest fees. I was naive and trusting, and was lied to under the guise that "we are here to help you." TaxMasters is disgusting and immoral. Please do not let them make anyone else a sucker.

A  15th of Mar, 2010 by
Apparently there is a US Treasury investigation into TaxMasters.
US Treasury Department
Attention: Agent Farwell
1919 Smith Street
Suite 2270
Houston, TX 77002

And a potential class-action suit:

Pam Mitchell
(504) 234-5202

If you've been a victim of TaxMasters, below is a good starting list of everyone you should send a letter to, detailing your experience. Signed and mailed letters are often still taken more seriously than an emailed or faxed one. You should also include any/all supporting documentation/evidence.

This really is needed. The sooner these agencies receive more complaints about this company, the more they will investigate.

1. Your state's Attorney General
2. All of your state's Senators and Representatives (Federal and State)
3. All of the following: