Tavern on 74 / Rippoff

1 HWY. 74, Peachtree City, GA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 770-631-1980

On Mondays they have a wing special. All wings .35 each. If you go into their establishment and order wings and don't eat al of them they will not let you take the rest home with you. The only thing I can come up with is they are recycling them to serve to other patrons. How nasty is that, What if someone does something gross to their wing because they're mad that they can't take them home, and then you get those wings. That's NASTY. Go there on Monday at your own risk.

Comments

• Br
    Best Best Advice

If you pay for them you should be able to do whatever you want to with them.

24th of Apr, 2012

A lot of restaurants do this on wing nights. At .35/wing, they aren't making any money - and likely losing money - so they need to make it up on beverage sales (which have a high markup). Not being allowed to take leftovers home is an incentive against people trying to order 100 wings plus one Coke. Pubs don't want those kind of customers.

I have no idea what they do with the leftovers at this particular restaurant, but in my experience, they are almost definitely thrown out. Serving them to other customers violates a lot of regulations; it is too risky to recover such a small amount of money. Remember, employees quit/are fired all the time, and former employees blab about this kind of stuff all the time.

24th of Apr, 2012

Restaurants get wings for .15 when they are (cheap) and .20 when they are considered expensive, Super Bowl time, etc. They make money on the wins they sell. DON'T EVER BELIEVE A RESTAURANT IS LOSING MONEY ON ANYTHING THEY SERVE. IT'S TOTAL BS.

• Ha
      25th of Apr, 2012

I agree. What is the Tavern doing with the wings left behind????? The only way to make other customers feel good about eating there is to see people leaving with their leftovers. I won't eat there again. I'll go to whyknots instead.

• Je
      26th of Apr, 2012

I don't know what the big deal is about taking the leftovers home. I've eaten there, I did not want to take my leftovers home, in fact, I was very happy to leave them behind. The food was not that good.

30th of Apr, 2012

SKOR, I have a question for you. First let me say if you think your gonna convince me that a restaurant is losing money on wings your crazy. Anyway here's my ? Why would a rest. throw them out instead of just letting the cust take them home? If I had an experience like that I would never go back. I've never eaten at this place in particular but I don't think I ever will after reading this. If I owned a rest I would want people to buy as much food as they want. There's a wing place close to my house, they have almost nothing else. The more wings you buy the cheaper they are, they never said, "please don't buy alot of wings to me". If you buy a 100 wing platter they're $42.00 for the platter and it comes with more than just wings. Let me guess they're losing money on this platter. I don't think so. The Tavern is just being petty.

3rd of May, 2012

Dr. Zing, maybe you (and the other replies) are correct, and this place has a source supplying wings at 20 or even 15 cents each (something I have never seen). My experience having worked at Kelsey's and O'Toole's: 35 cents a wing comes in at a loss. I've never heard of wholesale fresh wings at less than 30 cents each. After you factor in the other ingredients and staff costs, it is still a loss (because 5 cents a wing doesn't cover the remaining associated costs). Pubs run wing nights at a loss anyways, because they attract men who love wings - and men who love wings tend to love beer. There is a massive markup on beer, so even though the pub is losing money on the wings, they are making A LOT of money on the beer they expect the customers will buy. This is why so many places have a "with drink purchase" rule on wing nights - they won't give you the offer unless you buy at least one drink. The rule against taking leftovers home is to keep cheap people from coming in to only buy take-out.

If you are allowed to buy 100 wings at 35 cents each on wing night - that's $17.50 for a 50 wings. Sure, a lot of sports fans who drink a lot of beer will show up, but so will people who don't drink at all - people who will come in, order 50 wings to go, buy nothing else, and leave. The #1 rule of a pub is that you want customers to linger. The longer they are in the pub, the more likely they are to buy another drink. That is why they are fighting the cigarette smoking bans that are happening right now.

20th of May, 2012

Look, You're wrong. The place where I buy wings is a take out only, no beer, no liquor, just call in your order and pick it up. By your logic, and I use the word logic loosely, They're losing money on ever person they sell wings to. Pardon me if I think you're stupid. I buy the 100 wings platter every time I buy from them. Lets see I get the 100 wings, celery, and blue cheese dressing all on a nice platter. WOW!, how did they stay in business all these years. Looks like they'll be closing their doors soon because YOU say they're losing money. Idiot!

21st of May, 2012

Dr. Zing, a takeout restaurant has completely different overheads than a pub. You are not just paying for the wholesale cost of food in a pub...there are higher utilities, operating expenses, completely different licenses, and much higher staffing costs.

22nd of May, 2012

SKOR...You're talking in circles. You sound like you work at this place. If wings are .30 wholesale then even a takeout place would lose money on the wings. They have to pay for the building, utilities, cooking oil, people to work there, wing sauce, the platters, bags, napkins, and much more. Lets face it the tavern on 74 is a ripoff and everyone here knows it. Go away. You're annoying us. P.S I've eaten there and I agree with the original poster, the place sucks.

• Ju
      22nd of May, 2012

SKOR...You're making no sense at all. Either the wings cost .30 or they don't. At .30 even a T/O Rest. would lose money when you figure in the cost of rent, utilities, employees, cooking oil, wing sauce, platters, bags, napkins, and alot more. Wings do cost about .15 ea. I worked in a sports cafe for 3 years and when we had .35 wing specials the owner told us to sell as many as we could. Let me guess, he was losing money. No way. You're wrong and everyone on here knows it. Go away.

• Ju
      22nd of May, 2012

To the original poster, George, Thank you for letting us know how this place does business. I can promise you that I won't eat there and I will tell all my friends. I've seen this place and thought about going in a few times, glad I didn't. Keep posting.

• Ge
      23rd of May, 2012

I just want everyone to know what the Tavern is doing. It is a rippoff place to eat. If they don't want people to complain about them they should treat they're customers better. What makes it even worse is that me and my wife were regular customers and we tipped our servers very well.

24th of May, 2012

George, do you know SKOR (Kelly)? She's the manager of the place you're complaining about. How can she be neutral about a dispute whan she's the one the dispute is about. Dude, I would try to have her banned from commenting on this complaint. She's wrong and looks pretty bad trying to convince everyone she's right.

• Ha
      25th of May, 2012

The Tavern on 74 must have the worse managemant ever. They know everytime you make a customer unhappy that customer will splash the iternet with complaints. For a few wings they have this customer thoroughly upset. I won't claim to work in a restaurant, but I do eat wings. My husband and I buy wings at a local reastaurant. Take ou or eat in the wings are .30 ea. on Wednesdays. They're making money, no way I believe they're losing a dime. Lets face it, the Tavern on 74 is a joke. I've eaten there a few times, but I will never eat there again. If Dr. Zing is correct and SKOR works there, well, she should not be commenting on this disguised as a common person. That makes me madder than anything else. What I would like to know is why have they not offered the original poster some kind of gift cert. to make up and convince him to stop posting on the net. Like I said, the worse management ever. the owner should get involved and the first thing he should do is fire that manager.

2nd of Jun, 2012

Draharonovisajerk, Goldsnake, Susan Mcoy, and snowprincess are all the same person. She is a serious nut case. She spends all her time slandering companies. She has been slandering Dr. Aharonov, Vitals.com, and now the BBB. Just ignore her, she is nuts.

2nd of Jun, 2012

Ignore my above comment. I posted in the wrong place.

• Mo
      2nd of Jun, 2012

WOW! I'm looking for a different restaurant and what do I come across? This is the place that thought they were too good for me and my husband because they did not like him. I'm so glad this post is here. Stay away from this Restaurant, there are so many good places to eat why spend money in a place that is so NASTY!

12th of Aug, 2012
    Tavern on 74 - Food tasted old
    Tavern on 74
    288 Hwy. 74 North
    Peachtree City
    Georgia
    Phone: 770-631-1980
    tavernon74.com

They have food specials that seem too good to be true. I should have known there was a reason for the food being so cheap. The food tasted warmed over a few times. It was dry, hard to chew, and the cheese smelled like my husbands socks. Do yourself a big favor and eat somewhere at full price. No price is worth getting sick over. It was horrible. The worse part is when I asked to speak to the manager a woman came over and listened to what I had to say and then said "your waitress will be right over with your check". I will never go back and neither will anyone I know.

8th of Feb, 2013

There's a place in the same area as Tavern on 74 that has great food and great service. It's called y-knots.

8th of Feb, 2013

I'm not trying to promote another eatery. I just know how bad the Tavern on 74 is and I'm trying to give people in the area another choice. A choice for good food. The Tavern is really that bad. They used to be called Hanger 74 and had to change their name due to bad food and service.

Tavern on 74 - Bad food and service
    Tavern on 74
    Hwy. 74
    Peachtree City
    Georgia
    Tavernon74.com

I read mixed reviews about this co. and I admit after some of the bad ones I read I thought I should stay away but went anyway. This place has horrible food and the service is worse. Stay away. There are too many good eateries out there.