Target.com / request for refund

If I could rate target.com less than 1-star, I would. I wonder how many people check this site. I ordered a gift online, typed the recipient's name and address and the gift came to me. It was returned the next day (free shipping both ways). That was on September 28th. I have a confirmation that Target received their merchandise back on October 3, 2018. I've spent hours on the phone trying to get a refund, that was supposed to be automatic. I called on October 15, 2018 and spoke with a person I could barely understand in another country. He confirmed that the merchandise return has been received but he could not do anything about my refund and I would have to call back "tomorrow." I've been promised by at least one person, on October 16, 2018, the refund would be processed "tomorrow." Having seen no refund almost 10 days later, I called again today. I've been offered a gift card, which was sent electronically and already received, but no idea when I'd get a refund. I've been told someone will be in touch with me by email about my refund but no idea when. I've been on hold (as I write) now for more than an hour (with the most annoying rap hold music).

Since I pay my credit card off monthly, this returned item has already been paid for. My credit card will be cycling again soon and it appears that I will not have my refund before that happens.

And as I write, the rep I've been on hold with now for 1 hour 20 minutes cannot promise me anything or when someone will get back in touch with me.

Li