Target

Posted:

return policy even when you register with them!

3.9
www.target.com
I registered at target in mid august for my baby registry. I love (D) target as a store, and visited them weekly. I thought you have to register at target! But what a nightmare it turned out to be. After my baby shower, I received a few duplicates, and items that I just had way to many of. (Many of which are circo brand) and after attempting to go into target with one of these duplicates with out an original receipt or a gift receipt, I was told can I have a dl/state id. I said it is on my registry. She said ok, let's pull up a product purchase log on the kiosk. So after signing in the kiosk, and with the guest relations worker, trying to help me, she discovered that this log is no longer available. I was told that this would be counted towards one of my precious two non receipt items a year. I said no! It is on my registry, I requested one, and two were received. (Which is clearly marked on my registry. ) she called corporate to see what she can do, and they told the guest relations worker, "too bad, that is her problem, not ours!... She needs to tell all of her guests to either bring an original or gift receipt with their gifts!" and "it doesn't matter if it's on my registry or not, but as of august 1, 2007, the product purchase log is no longer available to people with registries, and I should read that online when I registered!" (I didn't even register online, I went to the store and registered, and no where online does it even state that either. What?!! Are you kidding me? Well I still had stuff at home that I had not brought yet, which i'm glad I didn't. Please note also that your two returns a year with out a receipt includes items that are like 2.99. (Would you want to waste a return on that?!) so I have been in contact with target corporate and they say, nope, nothing they can do. Below I put some of the emails that I have sent to target online, and their response. But overall, after I redeem my store credit from some of my returns with the gift receipts, and gift cards from my shower, I will no longer be shopping at target. (I'm only using them up to get formula and diapers!)

Lesson learned: do not shop at target no more! And I have passed this on to alot of people and they are appalled at target is acting this way, considering they are a huge corporation! Also not once did they offer me to go back to the department and pick out something of equal or greater value.

First email sent to them online.

When I registered @ target for my baby registry in august, I was not told at all by target personnel that I would not be able to return my baby registry duplicates. Or unnecessary items. As I went into a target store on friday to return a duplicate item off of my registry that clearly states, (Requested 1-received 2) I was not able to return it. (I am not asking for cash back, a gift card would be sufficient. ) should I have known this return policy back in august when I was so excited to register at target for my special event, I would not have done it. Also I have never heard of a policy that only allows a customer 2 non receipt items a year for a return. The customer service for target being a big corporation is awful. I hope someone can get back to me regarding this return issue. And a solution of course very soon. Please contact me to resolve.

—target's response—

Dear dana,

Thank you for choosing to register at target, and for taking the time to contact us regarding our return policy. Returns at target are easy with a receipt dated within 90 days of purchase. As a registrant, we'll allow you to return your gift registry item up to 60 days after your event date if your receipt is expired. I'm sorry that the store was unable to assist with the return or exchange without having the receipt or gift receipt.

If you don't have a receipt, we still have a few options for you:

- we have the ability to look up a receipt's information for the gift giver, so they can make a return on most purchases, provided they purchased your item with a check, target giftcard, credit or debit card within the past 90 days.

- if the gift giver retained the original receipt for the item, they have the ability to reprint a gift receipt at the guest service desk next time they visit target.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns with us. Your feedback will be useful in our continual review of our return policy.

We hope to see you again soon at target.

Sincerely,

Troy

Target guest relations

www.Target.com

—my response—

I totally regret registering at target. Should I have known about this ridiculous return policy I never would have even thought to waste my time going through your aisles and having my guests shop at your stores. To find out that what I have extras of, I am "stuck" with. And even though it's from target, there is nothing target corporate can do. I find that very hard to believe for such a big corporation this is your return policy and that is how you treat your "guests".

As for as if I do not have a receipt. "if you don't have a receipt, we still have a few options for you:

- your local store will accommodate two no receipt returns a year for you on small gifts under $20. "

Right now at my home, I have a small bag full of circo items that is a target brand and I have duplicates of. These are not items that I registered for, but are items that I have received too much of. You only need so many pacifiers and bibs. And for me to go in there and "waste" one of my precious returns on a 2.99 item that is just insane. Totally unheard of. It is sad to say that your own target employees agree that the return policy is wrong and is not "guest friendly". You obviously can see that I registered there at the store and I should be able to return the target items.

Also since I am discussing receipts. You should train the cashiers on if it is a gift to tell the guest that if a receipt is not accompanied with the item at the time of return, the guest will not be able to return it.

And you should also update your registry system to not allow or prompt the cashier to notify the guest that the item was already purchased, and would they like to purchase an additional product.

(This is when I received 2 rockers for my shower, and I only requested one, but just like the target registry 2 were purchased, but only one was requested. So that is my problem that I am stuck with 2 rockers. But target won't honor that even though it is on my registry as follows. )

I will have to say, since talking to many guests of my shower, and explaining to them what you are putting a 9 month pregnant woman through regarding this return policy, you have lost many guests and will not shop at a target again. You may think "oh well, what does that matter" target will hopefully see what they did wrong to inconvenience their past guests.

Also on that note, I would like to say, no where when I registered did it say that as of august 1, 2007 a purchase product log would not be able to get printed for returns. And neither does it say it on your website. So you may want to look into that as well. I registered in the middle of august, and as of friday the one guest service worker at the target store by my home, did not know that you could not print that either.

It is sad that I received over $200.00 in gift cards for target, and I will be stuck shopping there for a few times until they are used. But after that you will not receive my business. As I previously went there on a weekly basis for all of my household needs.

====target's response=====

Dear dana,

I'm sorry for any disappointment with our last e-mail, but we won't be able to assist with a return or exchange without a receipt or gift receipt. I apologize for any frustration this has caused.

Thanks again for sharing your comments with us. Your feedback will be useful as we continue to review our return policy.

I hope we'll see you again soon at target.

Sincerely,

Troy

Target gift registries

www.Target.com
Complaint comments Comments (16)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Department Stores

Comments

A  5th of Nov, 2007 by    +1 Votes
I am writing on behalf of my cousin who is in the same predicament! She is 9 months pregnant and completely outraged! I am more upset at the obvious indifference in there e-mail replies! We may be bound by there policy but I assure you that I am doing everything in my power to get the word out so that another pregnant woman doesn't have to go through such an unnecessary ordeal!!!
A  20th of Nov, 2007 by    +1 Votes
My daughter and her husband had the same thing happened to them for their wedding registry. I called the headquarters and got the same type of reply. The whole thing is that when any of you sign up with the gift registry and put the gift registry cards in shower or wedding invitations - that is advertising for Target and then they will not exchange or even give a gift card - which is the right thing to do.

I am with you - I am not shopping at Target.

Patricia Holbert - Florida.
A  6th of May, 2008 by    +1 Votes
I have heard many complaints such as yours regarding the Target return policy. It is absurd that they would require gift receipts for registry purchases. What is even more unfortunate, is that most stores are adopting policies similar to Target. Toys-R-Us will not even allow a return or exchange without a receipt. As a consumer, we are left without recourse. When I registered for my son, I did so at Babies-R-Us. They were fabulous with returns and accepted over $700.00 in returns; most of which without a receipt.

As for the comment from Payton, you are obviously an egotistical, ignorant person who takes pleasure in ridiculing others. The other option is that you're a Target employee at the corporate level. Could you be the infamous Troy??? Either way, take your criticism of people elsewhere!
A  14th of Oct, 2008 by    +1 Votes
I agree that Target's return policy is not customer friendly, too strict. To get around their policy with the 2 returns without a receipt, is to take someone else with you who doesn't have a return at Target yet and won't show up on their computer. For instance a woman can take her husband or a friend that never returns items. Therefore, one or two returns will go on their name for your return. Just a suggestion. I believe Mervyns has this same return policy and I've had many frustrating days trying to return X-mas gifts my daughter didn't want or fit into.
A  15th of Apr, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I experienced the same issues with them for a $3 item, I am no longer a target shopper. I would rather shop walmart for prob better customer service and cheaper prices.
D  27th of Sep, 2009 by    +1 Votes
My Daughter also had a Baby registry @ Target, They also would not give Her store credit on a few of Her item, because she didnt have a receipt ! Also I have purchased a Wii game for $249.99 the price was cut to $ 199.99 and they told Me I would couldnt get the difference back because it was not on sale the price was slashed ! So I called My Daughter and returned all her gifts on Her registy and My wii game !! target lost over 1, 200 dollars and it was Walmart gain ! Go to Walmart They have a exellent return policy ! My Daughter and I spent less money at walmart and went to lunch!!! I guess target has enough money ! They dont care if They loose any ! I will also spread the word !!! That why Walmart has made a profit in there last quarter !!!
N  10th of Jun, 2010 by    +1 Votes
That it CRAZY. Ask your closest friends and family members to return some of your items and use "their 2 precious returns" That is the DUMBEST RETRUN POLICY I have ever heard of. Corporate can't fix...yeah right my a**. I will never register at target for anthing. And I would never buy a gift for someone from Target. WalMart is cheaper anyways. Customer service there sucks too, but at least you can save a buck.
N  10th of Jun, 2010 by    +1 Votes
In regards to AmberAdk's response:

You're most likely one of the people who buy the worst gift at the cheapest price. And you are probably one of those people who re-gift items (used or new). Which would make sense at to why you refuse to include a gift receipt. When I buy a gift for someone, I put a lot of thought into it before I purchase it. I would prefer they didn't take it back, so I try to buy something they would like and use. I dont know about your money, but mine doesn't grow on trees. I work hard for it. I would be more offended if they gave my gift away to someone else, instead of returning it for something they would actually use. I'd rather my money go to the person it was intended for. Those rockers are expensive to the average American family. And especially to someone whose money doesnt grow on trees. Exchanging one rocker could buy that mother a lot of diapers, formula and clothing. Do you know how expensive kids can be??? Target makes more money than they know what to do with. The people at the corporate level at Target, make plenty of money and live VERY comfortably. So to them and I guess you, a $200 rocking chair would be considered chump-change. Obviously you have no clue what a few dollars could do to help a family. So now WHO is greedy? I think YOU need to look in the mirror.
N  31st of Mar, 2008 by    -1 Votes
"DO NOT SHOP AT TARGET NO MORE!" It is sad that stupid people such as yourself are allowed to reproduce. Perhaps you would get more respect and responsiveness from customer service if you quit speaking as if you were from the ghetto?
D  9th of May, 2009 by    -1 Votes
Its is amazing how upset people really get over these types of problems. I am a current target employee and our return policies match that of Wal mart and Kmart. People tend to automatically pull the wal mart card everytime they do not get their way in the hopes we will bend our rules. These policies are more than fair and when a person buys a gift from a baby registery they are prompted to make sure they give a gift reciept with their item. The fault does not lie with the employees and the policy it lies with the person who went to print out your gift registry and just casually clicked right passed the message about getting a gift reciept for these items.
A  13th of May, 2009 by    -1 Votes
I have to disagree with crazycashier (key word: crazy)...I too had my baby registry at Target and many of my guests that made purchases told their cashiers that they were gifts and handed over the registry papers, and the gifts were never taken off. I received, among other duplicates, 2 strollers, 3 play gyms, FOUR monitors, and 3 first aid kits. I bought one of the strollers myself because we were getting close and I saw that no one ha dpurchased it yet, and I had the cashier take it off of my registry. When I received the 2nd one I asked when it was purchased and to my surprise, it was BEFORE I bought it, the purchaser had also given her cashier the registry information, and yet it still did not show up that it was already purchased. When I tried to return the duplicates, I was told several different things:
1. A gift receipt must be REQUESTED by the purchaser (contrary to what the supposed Target cashier above claims) AND apparently there are 2 different types of gift receipts - one with a description of the item and one without. The purchaser has to ASK for the one with the description. We had so many gift receipts with nothing but numbers and barcodes on them, and no one at Target could pull up the item on the receipt unless they scanned the product first then the receipt. So why are there a thousand different numbers and a barcode on the gift receipts if they can't be used?
2. I needed to go back to my shower guests and request the gift or original receipts. Yeah, because that's not embarassing..."Hi Aunt Bonnie, I have to return the baby monitor you bought me so can you please get the receipt from you? I know I know, it's not your fault that the purchase didn't show up on the registry..." Please...
3. My guests MUST NOT HAVE presented the cashiers with the registry information. I know this happens, and I can understand if had happened with one or two people, but we counted the guests that purchased duplicates and came up with 17. SEVENTEEN!!! Not 17 items, SEVENTEEN GUESTS that purchased duplicates. There's no way that that many friends and family happened to forget what they were buying a baby monitor for. PLUS, like I mentioned before, I myself requested an item be removed and it didn't happen, so I know the registry didn't work correctly in the first place.

So, crazycashier, you said it yourself, the problem doesn't lie with the employees, it lies with the corporate douche bags that came up with the return policy in the first place. Stay crazy. And stay out of customer service.
N  21st of Dec, 2009 by    -1 Votes
You all need to stop your complaining about returning gifts! If you don't have a gift receipt or a original receipt why should the store take it back????? A gift is free stop whining who cares if you have 2 of the same use it or give it to someone who can!! Greedy people you didn't pay for it anyways! I never give a give receipt to anyone that I get a gift for, if they don't like it then too bad! Sound like a bunch of spoiled adults to me, get over it!
D  22nd of Nov, 2008 by    -2 Votes
Almost all stores with registries have a similar policy. And to my knowledge, when purchasing an item from a registry from Target a gift receipt comes out automatically.
N  17th of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes
target 10% discount card is no longer discounting prescriptions. they were for the past 6 yrs.. what good is the card if we cant get 10% off on high priced prescriptions especially when they keep raising the price? i will be cancelling my target visa card and get one elsewhere if they dont reinstate practice of discountig prescriptions.
N  3rd of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
Target has terrible customer service, DO NOT SHOP TARGET
N  29th of Dec, 2011 by    0 Votes
What's with the age limited on returns. Target requires a driver's license which lets out my 14 and 15 year old boys from returning a duplicate video game (still securely wrapped in plastic). Then when I ask about why I had to come into the store to help the guy behind the counter tells me "its in the policy" in a snotty tone and waves over his head because I'm a ### and its printed right on the wall. I tell him "NO its not on the wall behind you so please get me a prated copy of the return policy". He refused and asked me to leave.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree