Tanglewood Cedar / product not delivered

1 Chesterfield, England, Derbyshire, United Kingdom Review updated:

Do not touch Tanglewood Cedar (www.tanglewoodcedr.co.uk) with a bargepole. I ordered a wooden garden bar from their site at a cost of £599 on 23rd August via PayPal believing it would arrive for my big Birthday party on 7th October as the site said 4 weeks delivery time (they have since changed it to 4-6 weeks). I talked to the owner Jim (after many times trying to get through and constantly leaving messages) who gave me his word I would receive my bar by the 7th October. I called 2 weeks before delivery (again after many texts and voicemails) Jim responded to say all was in hand but he was having difficulty sourcing the Oak from France. Apparently he had a worker gone off ill and also moving house. This was just a few of the myriads of reasons he has given over the period to renege on his promise. On the 6th I called again and finally got a response and was told it would not be there for my big day. I was of course both fuming and upset as I had 45 guests arranged and no bar! He swore on his life (wonder he isn't dead) that it would definitely be here within the next two weeks. This came and went. I got another excuse that he had an order of 75 bars from a German company needing them for Christmas... So last Friday 27th October, I gave Jim an ultimatum that I would claim my money back through PayPal and again he asked for yet another reprieve (this is now almost 3 months) and promised to call me on Monday with a delivery date. Of course no call or text or email. So today I have written my complaint. If Jim is correct he has been paid for about 80 bars and at £600 each that amounts to possibly £480, 000 now sitting in his account. I can now only believe that this is a scam and you should not part with your money. The full payment is demanded up front. I cannot even write about the quality of the product as after such a long time I still have not got it!

• Updated by Laurence Pavey, Nov 01, 2017

The website is actually www.Tanglewoodcedar.co.uk a spelling mistake occurred in the text

La
Nov 1, 2017

Comments

• Si
      9th of Dec, 2017

Hi Laurence, I have the exact same experience, although my order was placed on 8th September. I have just sent an ultimatum to Jim requesting a final delivery date or a full refund.
    Can you give me an update? Did you ever get the bar? If not, did you get a refund through PayPal?

• Da
      15th of Dec, 2017

@Simon Downing Just get your money from PayPal ASAP before he winds up the business. List of people as long as your arm not got bars or money, me included. One cusotmer is in talks with the police and fraud watch.

8th of Jan, 2018

I have exactly the same experience and would advise anybody to stay clear of this guy and his company. I live in France and ordered a bar in June on a 4-6 week delivery and paid via PayPal. Due to my location I needed to pay an additional £269 for delivery which I duly did via a cheque. Following repeated chasing up and written confirmations that my bar was ready and the hauler identified, the bar failed to turn up. Further chasing up via email and phone calls resulted in no responses at all. As a result I registered a dispute with PayPal in October and finally got my money back for the bar. This left me with the task of getting back the £269 for the delivery costs and despite many attempts to contact Lack, I have received no responses at all. I have now registered an official complaint with Trading Standards and am in the process of taking legal action to get my money back.

Hi. In the same boat.
    Jim actually (!!!) emailed today stating the company was in the hands of the liquidators. Anybody know who this might be as he’s not giving up the info...?
    £1800 owed!!!

30th of Jan, 2018

I don't, although I would like to know. I took out a warrant against this guy only to be told last Friday that he had ceased trading from his address, although on the Companies House website he is still listed as Active, with the court costs I am in this for £607.

30th of Jan, 2018

@Gibson SG Agreed. Looked today on companies house, address on there and still active...
    Odd???

2nd of Feb, 2018

@JamesC1980 Hi all I ordered a bar in June 2017 and did not receive I contacted the police and I have the direct number for the police officer dealing with this case her name is Emma ( 07525 226442 Nottinghamshire police ) please call her regarding your problems he was warned by her a few months ago to contact all of the people he owes money to and she is compiling a case)

2nd of Feb, 2018

Hi all

I ordered a bar in June and paid by bank transfer, I contacted the police a in November who spoke to him and he told them he would contact me and others about the problems he never did - I now have a lady called Emma from Nottinghamshire police on the case as this is theft, please contact her on on 07525 226442 she is building a case lots of people have called her about this - I also emailed watchdog but did not get anywhere

Ash

11th of Feb, 2018

@Ashley 124 Good afternoon all. Does anyone now know who the liquidator is for this company? Thanks.

19th of Feb, 2018

I ordered a log store in September 2016 and paid £399 plus £70 for delivery. I chased delivery multiple times, but, like other people, I received a long catalogue of excuses but no log store. Finally, I issued a moneyclaim online summons and received judgment in my favour on 15/01/18. The sole director James Lack submitted to the Court the following: that the company stopped trading in early October, that he has stopped anyone placing an order on the Tanglewood Cedar ordering system, that the company is no longer trading from the Mansfield company address and that he is buying the assets of the company. However, having checked online at Companies House, the company remains active and the website is also still active. I have today submitted a report to Citizens Advice, who in turn will notify East Midlands Trading Standards (Nottinghamshire Council) and I've also reported this to Action Fraud (actionfraud.police.uk).

19th of Feb, 2018

@Nick326 Hi. Did your receive your money back from the online summons??? Would love some more info pls...

19th of Feb, 2018

Sorry, I should have said. the answer is no, no money forthcoming. I was going to send in the bailiffs, however, the company address is now given as a PO box number at Companies House, so not much chance of seizing assets from there. I even checked out James Lack's supposed home address at Land Registry online, but the house title is in other people's names and it looks like it was sold in November last year though not sure whether it was really ever his address!

19th of Feb, 2018

@Nick326 Ok thanks for confirming.
    There is a police number on thread above, but so far no answer and doesn’t reply to my voicemails...!

20th of Feb, 2018

Just to say, if enough people contact actionfraud.police.uk about this then there is more chance of the police taking action.

20th of Feb, 2018

@Nick326 Good afternoon all, I did send the bailffs around earlier this year only to be advised that, he was no longer trading from his business address.

22nd of Mar, 2018

We have been chasing Jim for money he owes us since 2016. We have a CCJ against him, for nearly £4000.

We do not have a current address for him.

I will be again contacting the police.

22nd of Mar, 2018

I have left a message for Emma from Notts police to call me.

• Ga
      23rd of Mar, 2018

If he is in liquidation he is breaking the law as he is still trading via his website

2nd of Apr, 2018

Yeah I've seen his website and Amazon pages are still online...?

The police officer still hasn't rung me back.

• Ro
      3rd of Apr, 2018

Hi all,

Same position here, product not delivered. CCJ has been entered and High Court Enforcement Officers have attended multiple addresses but all attendances have been unsuccessful. He has also declared himself bankrupt in February 2018. I have now reported it to Action Fraud as well.

13th of Apr, 2018

We can't let him get away with this!!
    Does anyone have a current address for the bailiffs?

13th of Apr, 2018

I've spoken to Action Fraud, everyone please take the time to ring them and make a complaint 0300 123 2040
    Crime number: NFRC180420295385

Reported him to citizens advice, who will contact Trading Standards 0345 4040506

I have also just spoke to Jim (off my landline as he's blocked my mobile)
    He said that Forbes someone is dealing with dissolving the company, after a quick Google I asked Forbes Burton? He said yes but couldn't remember the ladies name...

I have now spoken to Forbes Burton who have confirmed that they have quoted him, but he has NOT instructed them to dissolve them company. AND guess what, he's not replying to their contact.

I've been advised me to keep an eye on Companies House, when the staus changes to email Companies House with a statement to stop it happening.

13th of Apr, 2018

If you're keeping an eye on any change to the company status do let me know if it changes and I will also submit a statement.

I made a report to Action Fraud on 19/02/18 and received a letter back from them dated 22/03/18. The update was a standard letter saying they hadn't had time to look into my report due to the volume of reports with which they are dealing (or should I say not dealing). I also left a message for the police officer, Emma from Nottinghamshire Police, as suggested by Ashley124 above, asking Emma to call me. Never got a response. If anyone has any further ideas how to progress this do let me know.

15th of Apr, 2018

Hi I’ve left a message on Emma’s phone yesterday, I’d given up on it all to be honest, he sent me an email in February stating he was going into liquidation, I’ve looked at all these reviews now since I posted and I for o e want some action against this theif, he needs to pay one way or another. I got a friend to email him from his website yesterday making an enquiry and I am shocked he replied, this guy is s theif, he’s carry on his business clearly. The last I heard he had closed his premises in Mansfield, if anyone as hot anywhere with knowing where this crook is I’d be happy to go with a few people and pay this guy a overdue visit. He thinks he’s above the law clearly

15th of Apr, 2018

@Ashley 124 Yes I agree, we can not let him get away with it.
    He told me that he has started just working for himself. I.e. ripping more people off!

15th of Apr, 2018

I'm think one of the consumer TV programmes might like to hear our stories of woe. I'm not really knowledgeable about which one, but a Google search reveals Watchdog Live on BBC1, Rip Off Britain, which is also apparently BBC1, and others.
    Also, I just phoned Amazon 0800 279 7234 to let them know that Tanglewood Cedar is still shown as trading on their website (not that I ordered through Amazon). The lady I spoke to said Amazon have closed his seller account and she would look into why it's still showing on the Amazon website.
    If police officer Emma does contact you Ashley then could you let me know and I will try and contact her again myself.

Hi Everyone,

I've just caught the end of Rouge Traders,
    I really think we should all contact them, if we could all do it over the next couple of days it will have more impact, might get noticed.
    The link to their website page is below, won't take 5 minutes to fill in.

@Nic9 Rogue Traders!!

• Ro
      19th of Apr, 2018

@Nic9 done!

18th of Apr, 2018

Hi I tweeted watchdog tonight and emailed them as I watched the show - I would encourage everyone to do this as hopefully the show producers pick it up

Watchdog@bbc.co.uk

I’ll try Emma again tommorrow however I keep getting the answer myself now, I’m wondering if she has moved departments or something

He’s actually messaged my friend tonight telling them that he can make one for late May and what area are they in so he can drop off something - we need to catch this guy it’s ridiculous how he’s getting away with this