Takelessons.com / dubious sales practices

I am extremely put off by this business and their practices. I went in search of a vocal coach and found one that sounded good in theory on their site takelessons.com. Using their 'complete this to ask questions' form I submitted a question I thought would go to the teacher in question. My question was very specific and in no way asked for more details about their company.

An hour or two later I get a phone call from Takelessons.com . Immediately the little girl (and I say little because she sounded like she was 12) goes into a marketing spiel - all of which I already knew from looking at their website.

I stopped her mid pitch and told her I didn't need a commercial, I needed to ask the TEACHER a question. I submitted a question for the TEACHER while on their site, and wanted a response from the TEACHER. She then informed me that 1) she saw no such question from me - which is bull pucky since my phone number was attached to that submission and the only way she could have gotten it was to have gotten said question. But here's the kicker...

2) No, she said. you may not speak to the teacher until you pay for lessons. period.

Now - they claim to have a 100% money back policy if I pay for lessons and hate the teacher after the first lesson which I am sure is true, but as I explained to her, no sane person pays for something in advance without having done the proper research. I don't want to ask my question to a random disinterested party, have that person ask the teacher, then get my answer filtered back to me through the grapevine. I want to talk to the actual person to whom I will be giving my time and my money.

Futher reading has produced many complaints about their refund policy and bait and switch type practices.

Just thought you all should know this, in case you are like me and are not comfortable with the situation.

Comments

• Ky
      6th of Mar, 2012

Hi,

Just thought you should know that they treat their teachers just as bad. In an economy where music teachers in particular are being laid off all over California, TakeLessons.com has the gall to pay at least 37% below the going rate for a private teacher.

And, if that weren't bad enough, they post pictures on their Facebook page about the masseuse they hired for their call center staff. Great, what about the ACTUAL TEACHERS that make their business go, huh?

• Ta
      16th of Apr, 2012

Hi, NotAmusedIn Texas,

Thanks for sharing your TakeLessons experience with us. It’s reviews like yours that help us understand how we can continue to clarify any policies or procedures that may be vague or confusing to potential students or teachers.

We’re in a unique position in that we not only provide access to amazing music teachers for our students, but we also manage the marketing, billing, scheduling and general administrative tasks for our teachers, allowing them to really focus on teaching their students. Our intention isn’t to deny you access to your chosen teacher, but to get the lessons lined up for both parties efficiently. If we were to refer every potential student directly to the teacher, it would compromise the time they have to spend teaching, which is precisely what we want to avoid. Once you’re signed up as a student, your teacher will reach out to you, answer any questions you may have and give you any guidance you may need before you begin your lessons. (And, as you mentioned we do have the 100% money back guarantee if you’re unhappy after your first lesson.)

Please feel free to share any additional thoughts. We hope you’ll allow us to help you find an amazing music teacher in the future and we’re confident that, if given the chance, we’ll not only meet, but exceed any expectations you might have.

• Ta
      16th of Apr, 2012

Hi KylesPianoStudio,

We have the utmost respect for our teachers and know that we are very lucky to have them. We also know that they appreciate the services our support staff provides in helping them manage their student accounts and schedules. We all work as a team... teachers as well as support staff, to bring our students the best music lessons experience possible. We'll continue to work on ways to guarantee that music teachers can make a living doing what they love, which is teach.

• Sc
      12th of Oct, 2012

A much better name for this scam should be "Takeyourmoney" "TAKESADVANTAGE" or better yet "TAKESBALLS" for the brazen claims they make so often that if they ever say ANYTHING truthful, everything would likely fall apart for them like the house of cards that they are.

Takelessons' political and mechanical responses are just well scripted "right things to say" insincerity that THEY ARE KNOWN FOR. Both teachers and customers are nothing more than "numbers" or "bodies-ion a -room" and the very opposite of what a genuine, devoted student would ever want involved in your progress, much less trust..

THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR PRESSURING CUSTOMERS TO SIGN UP WITHOUT SPEAKING DIRECTLY TO THE TEACHER. ONLY SCAMS USE THIS DISTASTEFUL TACTIC AND IT ISN'T AVOID "DISTURBING THE TEACHERS" AS THE LIAR FROM TL CLAIMS.

REAL teachers are HAPPY to talk with you up front BEFORE you sign up with them. TAKELESSONS KNOWS THAT THEIR TEACHERS WILL NOT IMPRESS ANYONE IF THEY ARE ALLOWED TO TALK TO CUSTOMERS INSTEAD OF THEIR SALESMEN WHO ARE ON A MISSION TO JACK UP NUMBERS.

TAKELESSONS LIKE TO SCARE CUSTOMERS INTO BEING AFRAID TO TALK TO TEACHERS AND AFRAID OF TEACHERS IN GENERAL WHICH IS COMICAL. ACTUALLY, IT IS CALLED PROJECTION BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE YOU SHOULD BE AFRAID OF IS SALESMEN.

Instructors are only hired for being cheap, THAT'S ALL. If you work for Best Buy, you are expected to be a SALESMAN and teaching will not be considered and "excuse" to be paid extra. If you do not work for Best Buy and you pay for their fake "certification" kit, you will just be posting Takelessons' ads and THEY WILL NOT REFER PEOPLE RESPONDING TO YOUR ADS TO YOU IF THEY HAVE A SUCKER WORKING AT BEST BUY. They will only list your first name and initial of your last name and the phone number goes straight to San Diego salesmen who will lie through their teeth because that is what they are SCRIPTED TO DO.

Customers will end up being jacked around different "instructors that TL picks up from Craigslist advertising they will teach for really cheap prices.

• Do
      26th of Jul, 2014

Teachers are high school grads. They pose as a local service yet its a one man hack job from California