T Mobile / fraud and incompetent customer service

NY, United States Review updated:
I read the reviews of different Pay As You Go plans before I got my mom, who was coming for a visit from abroad for about 2 months, a cell phone. I did notice that several people were claiming that T-mobile was "stealing" minutes but the majority of reviews were positive and my previous experience having a regular phone plan with T-mobile several years ago was good.
I got my mom a $50 card with 400 minutes thinking that this should be enough. The minutes were gone in less than a week. I was a bit surprised but I figured: ok, she talked on the phone a lot.
I went to the store to refill the minutes and the store clerk suggested that I get FlexPay My Faves plan, so she can call for free her favorite 5. I got 600 whenever minutes, free nights and weekends and Faves for $49.99 (plus taxes and surcharges, etc. - $66.71 all together). I figured that this should hold my mom.
A few days later (including a weekend), i checked the balance and to my shock saw that 143 whenever minutes have been used up. Plus there were 39 My faves "free minutes", all together: 182 minutes. Now, my phones has a registry and according to this registry there were 107 minutes used total. The majority of calls were to the Faves.
I called the customer service the first time around 11 pm ET. I have to echo others reviewers: it was the WORST customer service experience that I remember, even worse than Time Warner (and I hate those people with passion, but at least they are not trying to cheat you). For some bizarre reason, somebody at t-mobile came up with an idea that if you say the customer's name after every two words, that will somehow be pleasing to the customer - believe me, it is EXTREMELY annoying, especially when your complaint is not being addressed in any reasonable, making at least remote sense, way. By the time the customer service rep started telling me that my phone can not be used with My Faves (after their own store suggested this plan and set it up in the store), I lost patience and asked for a supervisor. The supervisor, of course, was "on another call." I was promised a call back within 30 minutes. I asked the rep what should I do if I don't receive this call. After assuring me that i WILL get a call, she said that I can call back and say that she is a liar.
As you can guess, I did NOT receive any calls within an hour. I called back and immediately asked for a supervisor, explaining briefly what happened. She rep asked me to give her 5 minutes to try to resolve my problem. I gave up, although it was already after midnight and I have to get up around 7 am. However, when she started reading my contract back to me, I almost lost it. Her supervisor was also "on another call." I told both reps that I will join other people online who talk about stolen minutes and customer service quality and will be writing to the BBB but I do need to get the problem resolved.
At 2 am (and I did explain to the first rep that i was on the East Coast), I received a call from the first rep's supervisor. She did make an attempt to explain what happened to my minutes: it was "due to engineering problems" that my minutes were not correctly credited to the Faves. Her explanation for more than 60 minutes discrepancy between the total number of minutes registered by my phone and T-mobile calculations was even worse - but at least she tried. She said that the calls are rounded up to the next minute (which would require at least 60 calls to accrue the extra 60 minutes. I didn't have any strength to fight at that point (around 2.30 am). She told me that 50 minutes would be credited back because they were supposed to be My Faves minutes and she gave me another 50 minutes for my pain and suffering(my words, not hers).
I couldn't deal with this issue anymore for a few days and I did get a land line, so my mom now makes most of her calls from that line.
Today I decided to review the minutes usage to make sure i actually got the credit and to make sure that nothing fishy is going on. The data I found on their site was for the first two days. I called customer service to find out if I can get this info some place else. I was told that i can NOT until the end of my billing cycle.
As I promised T-mobile, I AM spreading the word on the net. I will be writing to the BBB when I get more time and I am seriously considering writing to the DA to see if they can open an investigation into what appears to be blatant and brazen consumer fraud.
Bk

Comments

Va
  7th of Nov, 2008
I read the reviews of various Pay As You Go plans before I got my mom, who was coming for a visit from abroad for about 2 months, a cell phone. I did notice that several people were claiming that T-mobile was "stealing" minutes but the majority of reviews were positive and my previous experience having a regular phone plan with T-mobile several years ago was good.

Gr
  24th of Jan, 2009
Thank you. I am looking for a family plan and saw t-mobile seems lowest $ if clalls are in fave 5. Seeing this report of customer service will allow me to spend my nights and weekends doing something else than speaking with cs for hours on end. Useless cs reps usually take me to some level of rage!
My
  14th of May, 2009
I have been trying to place an order through T-Mobile using my consultant discounts and it has been everything but pleasant. I was told that i would have to go into one of the retail stores and that i could not use my discounts, i tried calling the company to help me, and they were unable to, so i decided to call the person who handles the business affairs between t-mobile and mary kay. apparentaly he telling them to resend the phones doesn't matter. UPS had admitted to losing the phones but they simply refuse to resend me the phones although they have been told and authorized to resend the phones that UPS openly admitted to losing. the last time i had this poor of a service was with Sprint PCS. i have been humilated and embrassed because i've had fax a copy of my id and my social security card just to get the phones delivered and have been unsuccessful with this. after today, i willing not be suggesting this company to any of my friends or family, because i would hate for them to go through this same type of treatment.
Bu
  3rd of Jun, 2016

T Mobile - Incompetence
T Mobile

I have been a customer of T Mobile's for 15 years. No more! My phone was stolen. I reported i and assumed that insurance would cover it and was told I would receive a call.. After 3 weeks, i called back when I got nothing but a suspension of service for a phone I already reported was stolen. I was told that I had not reported it to the insurance department which btw is not a department but a third party company. I was still charged for the 3 weeks without a phone they failed to provide. THANKS T MOBILE~~~~
My daughter and I had taken 1, 000 pictures a week or so prior to the theft. T Mobile told me there was no way to retrieve them. This was false. Apple told me that they could have been backed up if T Mobile had not given me misinformation. Once the phone died after being stolen, the pictures were lost. THANKS T MOBILE.~~~
Tech support told me I could trace the phone but somehow I was locked out of my account, which they NEVER fixed and admitted they gave up. The phone is a total loss. THANKS T MOBILE ~~~
When I was transferred to the insurance department, the woman told me that she wasn't sure if the email she was sending me had a claim but was not sure if it included a number I could call Back regarding the claim. i was also told that I could not use the insurance when i changed carriers. I paid for it, but it's a benefit solely for T MOBILE. I'm living to be a customer of T Mobile's by now. THANKS T MOBILE~~~
When I paid the amount of $106 so I could get to the other departments, after 30 minutes of complaining about T Mobile's failure to follow through with phone replacement, the CS representative asked me if I wanted my payment confirmation to my phone. YES THE PHONE THAT HAD BEEN STOLEN. THANKS T MOBILE~~~
This company is so compartmentalized that you cannot do ANYTHING WITHOUT another dept's involvement. THANKS TOMBILE~~~~
A POX ON THEIR HOUSE.