T-Mobile Dash / erasing of all info

Attention: Robert Dotson, President and Chief Executive Officer
RE: [protected]
Account: Tsukada, Lourdes

Mr. Dotson,
I am a customer of T-Mobile and have been since 2001. I would like to bring to your attention an incident which I experienced and am unfortunately forever affected and devastated with the outcome of an 8.5 hour day ,with several levels of Customer Service Departments, Dash/PDA Departments and IT Departments. The end result for me is: total wipe out of back up materials on my Dell, Inspiron 1501, Laptop on contacts and calendar information. In addition to this, my T-Mobile Dash was affected by total erasing of my calendar (i.e. key business appointments, doctor appointments) and out of a total contact list of 284, 150+ contacts were “wiped out/erased” from my PDA.

I would like to explain how this happened and the experience I went through with the T-Mobile company on February 4th, 2008 from 9 am until 4:13 pm (non stop by the way) with the result of “erased information” mentioned above.
Problem I was trying to resolve: my T-Mobile cell phone had been set up with my work IT Department so the Network/Exchange server would download any entries made from my PDA, exchange Outlook entries, and home Laptop entries on Outlook (upon synchronization – which was automatically occurring throughout the day). The home Laptop synchronization occurred only when I was “connected” with the exchange work server so this was performed manually by me every morning on my laptop.
Another tidbit: the reason for choosing the T-Mobile Dash was the ability of the phone to create the key information and keep it within the phone/computer/laptop. This was highly recommended by my company. I wanted a Blackberry, they recommended the T-Mobile Dash. The unit was purchased with this in mind: all entries would be downloading automatically unto the PDA. This information was confirmed by me back when I talked to Customer Service online and via the telephone at [protected].

Upon our company declaring bankruptcy, lender, our exchange network server was discontinued. 3 days ago, I noticed my emails were not downloading nor were reminders on appointments functioning properly. Consequently, I contacted the Customer Service Department from my land line, home number of [protected], yesterday, the only day I had the morning free.
The telephone calls started at 9 am and ended in total disaster at 4:13pm.
Summary with details:
I started the process with a Customer Service representative by the name of Steven. Steven, transferred me to Jeff in the PDA Department. Jeff noticed I was currently paying $29.99 and advised me of a new plan adjustment which just recently took place and adjusted my new monthly charge down to $19.99. This was very positive monetarily for me so I was happy with this change.
I proceeded to explain the situation to Jeff and we started with the process of “fixing” my problem. I was asked to access my Windows Mobile center. The following instructions were provided and I followed them as instructed:
1. I was asked to go to the menu
2. Delete the partnership (existing on the device and laptop)
3. Asked to connect the cable from Laptop to Dash unit
Result: nothing, it did not work. Jeff then asked me to hold while he connected me to the IT Department. Next, I was disconnected while in the process of deletion of the server exchange….
I once more called your Customer Service line [protected]. This time I spoke with an individual by the name of Isac or Isic (sorry for any misspelling of his name). In order to take down any information or even transfer me or go to the next step, I was asked once more these questions by him and again an offer to see if a resolution could be achieved by him. Here are the questions because I am now training and have been trained on the responses needed for the “ascertain” of the customer’s information:
1. Cell number
2. Last name
3. First name
4. Last 4 digits from SS# and I would correct them all to ask for pin number since this was a process Jeff explained had been put in place now at T-Mobile. I would mention this to the new individual and they would acknowledge this was true
5. Asked what the problem was so they could see if they could help
6. The problem (synopsis) was explained and the entire process
Unfortunately, none of the conversations prior to Isac, had been entered as notes within my account nor mention of prior telephone calls with Steven and Jeff.
Isac, after having me again explain ONE more time the problem, stated he would need to transfer me to the PDA Department. Again, I was placed on hold and once more the disconnecting occurred from the department.
Notation: My home number works fine and the disconnecting was not originating from my land line….since for the rest of the day, I was talking back & forth with various departments.
I once more dialed your Customer Service Department [protected]. This time, I am asking for ID#s so I may track the phone calls, to whom I spoke with and be able to provide facts at a later date with the experience I had succumbed to, by “lack of service or knowledge”.
The individual I now spoke with was Regina ID#[protected]. Again I was asked questions 1-6 (mentioned above) and again, Regina had me go through the entire process from the Mobile Device Center to conclude the same: nothing solved and beyond her knowledge. She then stated it was not a T-Mobile problem, it was the manufacturer’s problem and she could not do anything about this. She then stated she would transfer me to the manufacturer of the PDA. I requested a telephone number so I may contact them directly should the line be disconnected. Regina provided me with the phone number [protected].
Upon connecting to this department and Regina leaving the telephone line, I spoke with a Chris. He was surprised at my being transferred to Blackberry because they were not the manufacturers of the HT unit (T-Mobile Dash). He offered to assist me in locating any information (i.e. telephone number, website, etc.) yet could not find any posted on the internet.
Chris was kind enough to offer to contact T-Mobile himself and explain the problem and how I had been also transferred to the wrong telephone number and company. He obtained a live person by the name of Brittany, who in turn transferred me to a Tiffany ID# 0732319. Questions 1-6 were asked once more. At this point, I was asking everyone for their names and ID#s so once more, I could keep track of all individuals affecting my PDA and laptop.
She after reading the notes on my account and after hearing all of my explanations once more, was not able to assist me and asked for me to hold (once more) to be transferred to someone who could assist me.
I am was now speaking with a Tech by the name of Sophia ID#0955010. Who again asked the questions 1-6. Again, I was asked to go through the Mobile Device Center and the partnership was deleted once more and the rest of the process followed once more. The process was unsuccessful and all kinds of problems are now occurring with the synching process. I was again asked to hold for a transfer to another department and individual with knowledge to review my problem and provide a resolution. Again, I was disconnected.
I again called your Customer Service Department, [protected]. Again asked questions 1-6 which were answered with a disgruntle from me since I was tired of this verification having to take place for the transfer from Customer Service to the PDA Department to take place. Luckily, I got transferred to the department this time without any mishaps.
I now was speaking with Phillip ID#1220211 around 12:30pm now. He walked through the entire process of Mobile Device Center process of “synching” with the PDA and all steps necessary for this to take place. Errors occurred again…..he then asked what version of the PDA system the unit had and upon verifying it was version 5.0, asked me to start all over since 6.0 was the version he was familiar with and would work better with Vista. Again, we started the process from start to finish. This time, the emails downloaded yet we still had problems with my Calendar not updating. Once again we restarted the entire process once more. We uploaded the 6.0 and restarted again. By this time, it is close to 3:00pm or so.
Phillip went into explanation that the exchange server was a requesting for the exchange server password because the exchange server was “inputted” in my Outlook. He proceeded to show me where and instructed me on how and that needed to be done. I deleted the Microsoft exchange server so I would not get asked once more any passwords or any other information necessary so we could move to the level needed for my Dash unit. The synchronization was taking place and was slow in the process so we agreed he would hang up and call me back within 20 to 30 minutes or so.
After we disconnected each other, I entered into my Outlook account so I could review all of my emails and respond to them until our next telephone conversation. This is WHEN I DISCOVERED all of my emails contained with the Microsoft exchange folder, in my inbox, which had been downloaded and existed in my laptop archive, had disappeared and my contacts which had been updated for the last 2 years had disappeared as well. The only existing information was my contacts from several years ago AND the ones existent prior to 3 years ago…NONE of my current entries, appointments, and contacts existed within my database/laptop.

Of course as you may understand, I lost it. I was a basket case since I relied 100% on my PDA and my laptop database as my “MEMORY”. I could not verify any information on the PDA since this was “synching” with my PDA. I was panicking now: what if I lost all of the information and all of the lost information was transferring now to my PDA via the synch and I was losing all of this information as well. I was devastated, panicky, destroyed and totally hysterical at this point. My business relies 100% on appointments recorded as I am a lender AND I have a small business focusing on client relations!!!!
I waited patiently for Phillip’s call and was waiting for the sync to finish. Upon the sync finishing, I double checked my PDA and fortunately for me, ALL the prior information still existed within my PDA yet the information was non-existent on my laptop. Of this I was somewhat relieved since I still had access to “my mini memory” and could keep all of my commitments and had all of my complete contact information and database “SOMEWHERE”.
Phillip called again and I let him know of my problem. He was very apologetic and offered to transfer me to another layer of another Department of IT to solve my problem. I really was not confident at this point yet trusted once more T-Mobile would know what to do.
I was now transferred to Marcel – who stated he was from the 3rd level of IT departments of T-Mobile in Kirkland/Redmond ( I cannot remember which of the two locations). He also stated, upon my requesting this, he did not have an ID# since the 3rd level IT did not have these, yet stated his extension was 14137.
I again replied to questions 1- 6. I must say, Mr. Dotson, I am now questioning any processes anyone employee is asking me to do and this also upset Marcel as well. I explained the danger of this point of ANY ERASING of information because my PDA now was the ONLY source of information for my business and my contacts – the only one who now had remained intact. He reassured me after my cautioning him 6 TIMES and I did not apologize for this, that he better know what he was doing and I was also sorry for questioning him but I had now spent the entire day with various individuals and conclusion: totally messed up laptop, Verizon emails not functioning properly and my PDA the only source of accurate information for this.
I was very ADAMENT in questioning his skill and his assuring me the information from my PDA would not be altered or affected. The PDA was the ONLY source of information which I needed as a Lender and again for my business. He assured me several times, he knew what he was doing. He was a little miffed by my doubting his ability…..
We again hooked up the cables and once again started the process of “synch”. I was now double checking everything and at one point noticed my calendar on the laptop changing. I was alarmed by this and told Marcel. He assured me this was good.
Upon the synchronization, I was asked to look at the PDA for information downloaded for both the Laptop and the PDA.
ALL OF THE CALENDAR INFORMATON HAD BEEN ERASED!!!!!!!!!! I tore off the cable and still was not in time to stop the deletion of 150 new contact entries I had previously entered on my PDA. WHICH HAD BEEN THERE BEFORE!!! I was now irate and told Marcel that I found it unacceptable and was devastated and had explicitly explained the ramifications of any errors and he had assured me earlier, he knew what he was doing. Now he had the audacity to state it was not his fault!!
He wanted to transfer me to another representative and I said I had spent the entire day with T-Mobile reps, lost appointments, lost money today and now had another appointment I was not missing: a date with my husband at 5pm for the Sonics game. He said if I could not stay he could have someone call me. I said I needed someone to call me back tomorrow, February 5th, at 7am. This would be the only time I would be available.
Marcel again stated it was not his fault and we should never have selected to update the contacts…within the Mobile Device Center. He said he was trying to help me but I now was not available for the problem to be fixed. Mr. Dotson, I hit the roof!!! I demanded for someone who knew what they were doing to please call me back today, at 7am. And hung up after an assurance from Marcel that someone would without fail, call me back tomorrow, at 7am even if another manager on shift.
Mr. Dotson, although the Sonics lost against the Chicago Bulls, this “break” in the 8.5 hours or so with T-Mobile and disastrous outcome was exactly what I needed at the moment. I apologize if I could not stay any longer on the telephone BUT quite frankly I was DEVASTED with the results!!!
Today, February 5, 2008, no one from that department has called me back and it is 9:40 am. I did place a telephone call again at 7:15am, with Customer Service Department at [protected]. I spoke with a Tisha ID#[protected]. I was asked once more to provide answers to questions 1-6 or else she could not help me. I was upset and demanded to speak to a Manager level. Again, Tisha stated she needed questions 1-6 answered. She only understood 1-5 and corrected me that the pin number was not a choice or question they asked and that the 4 last digits of the SS# were needed. I re-trained her, after providing the 4 digits of my SS# and was finally transferred to the floor Supervisor, Rachel ID#1120204 in Texas Call Center.
Rachel was super sympathetic and promised to provide help via her Floor Manager and she would personally put in my request for a Manager to speak to me and would call me back with a name & ID# of the individual who would call me back and try to assist me in finding, if possible, solutions for the mess T-Mobile Departments had created. She called me 20 minutes later and provided the name of the Floor Manager in Texas Call Center: Silvery – she did not have an ID# because had forgotten to ask. She apologized for this. She was also kind enough to provide a fax and email for the HQ and your name as the “top dog”.
In the meantime, via the internet, I searched for all of the Executive Officers names, so this letter and the experience and devastating results, would be brought to the attention of someone with “power” to fix, apologize, fire, anything which would avoid this type of inefficiency and destruction of other clients’ information from happening again.
The information is lost permanently on my PDA and on my laptop. EVERYTHING has been erased from my PDA and I am hesitant now on doing ANY TYPE OF sync on the PDA or the laptop.
Should you have any solutions, I am more than happy to listen since I have lost everything – there is nothing else to lose.
My clients, my business, my income has been affected in a way which is unforgivable and has had and will affect my salary and client relationship and my being to cal back clients when the contact information has been permanently erased from both databases for the next who knows, months!!
I am at a loss for words….outside of this letter. I have been having major problems with T-Mobile these last 2 years but this incident = the worst in my entire business career (20+ years)!!!

I look forward to a reply from you and your company. I also look forward to any resolutions which may exist……….
Sincerely,

Lourdes Tsukada
CC:
Cole Brodman (Chief Technology and Innovation Officer); Brian Kirkpatrick(Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer); Dave Miller (Senior Vice President and General Counsel); Susan Nokes (Chief Customer and Operations Officer); Neville Ray (Senior Vice President, Engineering Operations); Manuel Sousa (Senior Vice President and Chief People Officer); Rob Strickland (Senior Vice President and Chief Information Officer)

Comments

18th of Sep, 2008

I couldn't have said it any better than that . This person sufford a loss much greater than mine but the situation at hand is the same. Cell Phone dead loss of information that can not be recovered and the technical spiral throught the customer (lack of service) departments and 4 hrs later, could have been corrected long before. This is my third phone now of the htc dash and all have been software issues. The only reason I haven't changed phones is the fact of having to buy another without changing my contract and I do not think I should have to spend anymore money than what I have already been out of pocket.
    please contact me as well thank you

• On
      12th of Dec, 2008
    T - Mobile Dash - BAD SERVICE UNPROFESSIONAL AGENTS
    ONEAL HODGES
    2604 hanover st
    HUNTSVILE
    Alabama
    Phone: 256-468-8990

HELLO TO WHOM it concerns i had the worst service that i ever witness. T-MOBILE company SUCKS im going to put this on every news channel i can . i had a bad experience with t-mobile every since i had them. THE agents are un professional don't have a clue on what's going and how to handle customers. DEALING with this company is like eating nuclear war heads. i bought a t-mobile dash had it for 2 months it stop working.. the phone wouldn't charge or turn on i went to t-mobile off site stores no hel;p they didn't even have a clue. I got the run around. so im asking them to close my accounts and all they are after is money no service. i paid $21.95 express for exchange phone after i paid. the agents in the store told me my order has been done. hhmmm i caled them back 5 days later the order hasn't been even place until the day good grief what in the hell is going on with these damn people. im going all t-mobile competitors which i documented and show them what happened to me so they know their store are much better and im turning people away fromt-mobile by the dozens. so get your ### together

• Av
      26th of Mar, 2009

I have had multiple problems/exchanges with my dash purchased less than 7 months ago...and with customer service at Tmobile. In all fairness I did speak with multiple reps all of whom were professional (with the exception of one...a supervisor believe it or not!)but unable to resolve my issue. After going around and round I finally said I would like to cancel my service and was tranferred to thir "saves" dept. I then spoke with another rep that said she could upgrade my phone for $79 dollars if I renewed my contract for another 2 year...Huh??? Why would I do that? I expect to get what I paid for which is a functioning handheld device...not to be roped into another contract and expected to pay more money because I was sold an inferior device!!! Realizing I wasnt going to get resolution, I elevated my complaint and asked to speak to a supervisor. I again explained my situation but to no avail. I finally said that if they couldnt/wouldnt resolve the issue I would find another provider and cancel my service because I did not get what I paid for. I am a busy professional who travels extensively. I rely on having a functional user friendly mobile device. I do not have time to sit on hold with my mobile phone company for hours on end in an effort to get quality service that I pay good money for. The supervisor told me that if I cancel Tmobile will charge me a $200 dollar per line early termination fee. I said if you bill me I will refuse to pay as I paid over $300 for the Dash less than a year ago, and I have had nothing but problems with it even after multiple exchanges. Not to mention the fact that I have been a loyal customer for over 4 years. Her response was that they would send me to collections. I told her if that was the case I would write a letter to Consumer Affairs and the Better Business Bureau to refute these charges as I purchased the phone less than a year ago and did not get what I paid for. I was very matter of fact but never rude and not once did I raise my voice. Long story short she hung up on me and then prompty disconnected my service before I had the opportunity to give her a cancelation date. Unbelievable!!!

• Lo
      9th of Dec, 2011

Well, folks, this experience taught me so much that I still am able to do some double checking myself even with a Blackberry Curve from Verizon. And able to go through 1-6 quickly, then ask for the level of IT service w/in cell company directly and then of course = end up with Blackberry. But it is less time on the telephone and more direct to obtaining the assistance I am needing at that particular moment! :) To this day, an answer from T-Mobile has not been provided nor an apology. It is sad. Apologies to these types of situations ARE what really have customers stay with a company - BECAUSE of the extra mile and the successful resolution to the problem. Verizon did such a feat. They got my account and I a new cell phone. I had been a client of T-Mobile for a long time. I really was sad to leave and honestly with the circumstances which I left: bad taste in my mouth! Mind you, not all cell phone companies are 100% good all the time. Yet if you do think this way and expect 100% best customer service & problem solving - These are unreasonable expectations. But your expectation for the company to be 80-85% is very, very good in today's market. One suggestion for T-Mobile & perhaps any cellular company is: Customer Service training needs to include the extremely difficult situations. These occasions can then be reviewed, analyzed, learned from, and taught as "update on cases/problems seen" class for employees. One good training technique is to have the top level IT employees present, on a quarterly basis, the most difficult case they had, how they solved it, and what did they learn from it. Make the IT Dept. have a competition- games are always good so have a game: "Who had the hardest problem to solve & how did they do this?" This information can then be downloaded into the information database/library of "solutions" and available to all customer service employees at all levels w/in their computer guidance book. I still have not received a response and today is Dec. 8, 2011. Today's market is about quick, efficient, accurate and showing you who does care customer service - ALL ONLINE. The consumer, via the Internet, is very savvy. Service and delivery are key fundamentals to keeping a product "on the line". Cell phones are getting cheaper & cheaper. Now, all cell phone companies are more than happy to match or better any pricing packages we may have - JUST - for switching to their company (of course w/2 year contract). What really distinguishes one from another? Customer Service and the SHOWING that the clients are taken care of as best they can. As a consumer, if you are like me, we hate changing companies. We will give our commitment to that company at our 100% ..until...well, you now know the letter with T-Mobile. It took 8.5+ hours plus several attempts via Internet & fax directly to the Top Guy w/out success for me to switch!