Symmetry Direct / Deceptive Tactics??

1 Grand Rapids, MI, United States Review updated:

I recieved a call saying they had a part time employment oppurtunity at a "wellneess center" and I asked how she got my number and she said that colleges and universities suggested people to them. Having filled out an application for student employment the previous week, I bought it. I used to go to a wellness center and thought it was worth looking into. I went in and saew business people standing around and I met the girl who called me and she was really nice and talked to me. So, we sat down and I was not expecting anything like what they showed me. A man started talking about this "Miracle Nutrition Supplement" called Genesis. He had several stories to back it up, sooo I bought into this. They got me excited about it and I ended up signing up for this SOS workshop costing me $195. She sat me down at the laptop with the website pulled up and I filled everything out. Not until AFTER I paid the "fee" did she give me the contract that said the "sale" was final and non-refundable. Not anywhere in the "session" did they say it was non-refundable. Only the spokesperson said that if you sign up for this workshop and don't have a good-time that he would refund your money personally. Not feeling completely comfortable with this, I went home and told my mom. She did some research online and read reviews. She read one to me that was spelling out all of the high pressure sales tactics that they WERE using during this session (giving each "noob" a sales rep to accompany them, the sales reps agreeing and getting excited about the products and the simpleness of the business) I called her that night leaving a voicemail saying i didn't want to go to the workshop and I wanted a refund. She called me the following morning saying "What happened?? I thought we were all cool last night. I mean you had fun playing the Wii and eating pizza, right?" She tried talking me back into it and said "What are you going to do? Go get a job? Go back to Burger King?" I don't remember my response but to me, that is a warning sign that they are not a professional business. She also gave me her business card which says nothing about her connection to "Symmetry Direct", only her phone numbers, her name, slogans saying "Live well...Longer" and "contact "this number" for your free wellness consultation" I mean, is that right to be so misleading if your company isn't a scheme????? This occured at 900 47th st SW in Wyoming MI. I had to end up contacting "Rhino State University" requesting a refund becuase I was NOT attending the "motivational" workshop. I have not heard back from them yet. I don't know if they are a scheme or not, I just don't trust them...

~A regretful 19 year old...

Comments

• Ca
      5th of Sep, 2009

ok so yesterday i wentt in for the" interview" but out to be more of a presentation. i thought the video of people saying how much money they make and blah blah blah was fishy. then i talked to one of the guys and he said i would do well and if i wanted to do the workshop. and that in order to start this self buisness i had to order a basic pack or the genesis. yes, u all might ask if i did, and i did.i ordered the genesis. after my sisters had said to me numerous of times to never take a job that makes u pay first. it is unprofessional. but their loooks were so deceiving. they were all in nice suits and tie. the way they talkedd and sucked u into their business sounded like it couold work. but i also should have known that any businesss that makes it sounds so easy to make money, itsnt professional. any business that calls u back basically trying to convert u into their "cult" is unprofessional. lets just say the experience i went trhough was sommething that i had to see for myself, and i did and overall am not satisfied.

14th of Apr, 2010

Its very interesting to me that everytime you go to their meetings its always the same thing over and over. They dont like to talk about their company on the phone which makes you excited to know that they want you to work with them. Once you're at the OVERVIEW sessions, they make you feel confortable in the office, try to make great conversations with you, and ask you to sit up front to listen to the session. Every session they put on an exciting face, saying all these things just to make you interesting and join at the end. They go into talking about making money throuhg recruiting people. Interesting too because they dont talk much about how you get pay just that when you recruite three people at the POWER PLAY you get $1, 000. When I joined the lady didnt wait for me to really chose my option. She was just like "Okay so which do you want to start at? I was like I'm looking towards the part time but not sure yet. Next thing you knew she just hands me the Marketing Representative Agreement. They dont give you time to ask questions at the end of the presentation especially when you're still in the larger group. You get to ask question when you're meeting with your Recruiter but it would be best to ask in the larger group so that others can listen and maybe come up with other questions too.

14th of Apr, 2010

Interesting too because when you Register for the Rhino Workshop, they say its 300 but if you pre register its only 195. But if you look at it, it doesnt even cover the hotel and the transportation. its at least 25 for hotel per night and 80 for transportation so to sum it all up its about 300+. They say if you;re not satisfied with the workshop by the second day you can walk up to your recruiter or the Top person in your office and get a refund right away. Yes you might get your refund right away but if you came with them you wont be able to get home too so whats the point.

• Br
      7th of May, 2010

I just had an "interview" with this company as well in Omaha, NE. They called me and said they wanted me to interview for a "market manager" position and one of the top "health marketing companies" in the state. I was super excited until I got their and realized it was a gimmick to get me in the door. They are liars and smooth talkers. Very unethical. During the presentation, they make you feel like you are nothing if you don't buy into it. They didn't do that to me though. I thought they were nothing for being so deceitful.

• Gu
      11th of Mar, 2011

an old family friend is tring to get me to go to the same adderss (900 47th st SW in Wyoming MI) to meet up with a so called "dietitian" to tell me more about the company. She keep on putting emphasis on alot of people my age are doing it (im also 19) ... Thank you guys, i think you just saved me a whole lot of misery

• Cm
      15th of Mar, 2011

very funny... I just got home from this after following through with an interview to satisfy my own curiosity. It is in a warehouse like area of town... red flags all over the place. I am a health care professional and decided to see for myself but it ended up being the usual multi-level marketing scheme. Don't be so naive, if the person you are speaking with can hardly get their broken computer working they probably are not making all this money they speak of. ha ha. Some will do evil things for money... including preying on the slightly naive or ignorant

26th of May, 2011

I walked out to my car yesterday morning & saw a green card on my window about a part time job opportunity. I am currently employed fulltime but am looking for some supplemental income. I took the card w/ me to work & called the #. I got a voice mail & advised them I'd like some more information & asked them to call me back. Several hours later a guy called & we chatted. Its interesting to note that he says he's originally from the state I moved from to where I am now. He probably is, considering he knew so many details about the areas of town but that's neither here nor there. I went on to ask him directly if this was some kind of door to door gimmick or "business to business" sales job. He said no. I asked if this job was legit, offering a base hourly wage. He said they offered commission but he didnt answer MY question. Turns out their base of operations is not too far from where I live. It's in a strip mall that's largely empty of stores. they're right next door to a GNC too. with the address I had, I checked the company out on Nashville's Better Business Beaurau website. Interestingly enough the website gives them a rating of B- BUT it also stated:•BBB does not have sufficient information to determine how long this business has been operating. BBB made one or more requests for background information from the business. BBB has not received a response from this business and/or has not been able to verify information received from this business. The phone number associated with the business is based from my home state, the same place this guy told me he's from but when I tried searching the phone number he contacted me from in the state I currently live in, the name didnt match what he gave me. but I did get a full address & so the guy probably lives in the area where he's doing this at. At anyrate, I searched around online for more information about the company. Everything seemed vague at best and that rhino state university sounds awfully similar to another scam company that talked about "being a rhino" when making business to business sales. Finally i came here because i'd checked other companies out on this board and many of my suspicions have been justified by what i've read here. And its true, ANY so called company that would try to make you PAY $$ to work for them is NOT legit! I was scheduled to go to an "interview" tommorow evening but now I will not. I will still drive by the place just to get a closer look at it & I will call the BBB & tell them what ive discovered on my research. SHAME ON these people trying to prey on folks looking for honest work. It pays to do research and if stuff doesnt add up? go with your instinct to avoid it.

26th of May, 2011

check out the pic of the card they left on my car window.

• K7
      13th of Sep, 2011

jUST HAD AN INTERVIEW HERE!!! same location!!! now i know its a scam. wow. and i really thought that he was a nice guy, now i know that they do the same thing with every person... and that down to every word its all said the same... what a waste of 2 hours.

• Da
      15th of Sep, 2011

• Sm
      29th of Nov, 2011

It is not a scam. I don't work for the company but i know people that do and you guys are dumb. The only reason why they tell you guys to buy the product before getting in the business is so that you can try the product and KNOW what you're selling. So that you try it yourself before selling the product and have "samples" to give people. And the more you sell and more people you get to join the company, the more money you get paid. I myself have met one of the top guys in the company and if you know what your doing, you'll grow fast in the company.

28th of Feb, 2012

I agree with smartyone. I currently work with the company and have had great success so far. Was I a little confused at first when I joined, yes. That happens to anyone who joins or becomes a part of new business. I realize that people may believe that it is a "scam" because there is a monetary commitment, but as stated in the presentation, you become a business partner. That means you become your own boss, make your own hours, and ultimately control your income. Hypothetically speaking, if you were to start a business, or become a franchise owner of a company such as McDonalds, you would have to invest money into it. As far as the comment concerning multi-level marketing, Warren Buffet, Donald Trump, and Robert Kiyosaki have all either commented or invested into MLM. http://www.mlm-success-angel-guide.com/what-is-mlm.html I can not vouch on how every office conducts its' presentations, but I can testify that our office does everything in its power to help those who make commitments. Will people fail, of course. This work is not for everyone. It takes someone with a good work ethic, pays attention to those who are successful, and never gives up to ultimately do well. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. I know multimillionaires, people with six figure incomes, and those who just work part-time in this company. I have never met a group of people who truly care for each other and each others' well-being. So to those of you who happen to stumble upon this opportunity, go into it with an open mind and realize that not everyone has failed at it. Have a blessed day.