Symantec Corp / Unauthorized charges

We have a subscription to Norton Internet Security that we renew every year via Symantec Corp. The terms of our renewal has ALWAYS been on our time frame. We have NEVER signed up for automatic renewal because of limited funds on a daily basis, sooo... we would renew our subscription WHEN we had the money in our bank account. This past April 12, 2009 I looked at our bank statement online to see how much food I can buy for the next 3 days until my husband gets paid. He gets paid only 2x's a month. We figured we would have just enough money to buy groceries for 3 days to feed our 2 children!! But nooo...Symantec took upon themselves to remove $49.99 from our bank account...unauthorized!!! Then when I call them they tell me they will refund the $ to our bank account in 2-3 business days (today is Friday!) I told them I needed the money now-to get food for my family! Spoke to a supervisor and still couldn't get anywhere. Told them I felt they stole this money from our account and to top it all off: I can't buy the groceries I needed to get through those 3 days! I also told them since they are a big company hearing my emergency they should wire MY money to me today! Unbelievable and pathetic. I wish I could take legal action but being just a nobody in their world, my hands are tied. Shame on them. We will never use or recommend them ever again!

Ho

Comments

• Va
      12th of Dec, 2006
    Symantec Corp. - Norton 360

In 4/06 my 82 yo aunt received email notification that her internet security program (symantec) was about to expire. As before she submitted a check for $25 to renew.

The check was cashed 3 weeks later but the "about to expire" notifications continued.
    she wrote 2 letters but did not receive a reply, and gave up. The frustration wasn't worth persisting. I took over the 'quest' in October and have made at least a dozen calls, received one email with an incorrect address, FAXed cancelled checks and bank statements, been promised the refund, called back multiple more times, been promised call backs which did not come, and Symantec still has the 25 bucks. I wonder if this is typical of their service or if it's a good way to make a few extra bucks. I'm not inclined to surrender but since I can't find a way to talk to anyone other than the Indian call center, I suspect this is tilting at windmills. After this experience I will be cancelling my subscription and would encourage others to do the same. There are plenty of good competitors out there.

• Bo
      7th of Feb, 2009
    Symantec Corp - Norton 360
    Robert J. Collette
    Pennsylvania

After being faithful with my updates and doing the required scans I caught the Brisv.Alinf Trojan and so I went to them and down loaded the supposed fix for the problem . I then proceeded to run the fix on all the user areas and found the fix could not find the virus.
    the result is they want $99.00 to do something that their fix was supposed to do for free. This company has no customer care at all and if you want a headache buy from them

• My
      7th of Feb, 2009

The problem is theres no such antivirus that can take care of all viruses. Sometimes fixes dont work. The solution is not to complain, but find another solution. Use combofix, research how others got rid of it.
    I personally dont like norton just because of the amount of system memory their programs use up, slowing down your computer in exchange for protection.
    My suggestion to you is to uninstall norton and install a free program called Avast! It works better, doesnt slow your computer down as much, and can run a scan after installing it that runs after you reboot your computer.
    The reason many antiviruses can't remove a virus, is because it is a program or string that is in use, windows won't let you delete something in use.
    The boot time scan from avast will remove it before windows starts.
    If it doesn't fix it, move on, get combofix.exe.
    if it doesn't work, re-image your system (reinstall windows with support from the ocmputer manufacturer on how to do that)
    Your complaint is based on a lack of knowledge. If norton (or any other company) offered to manually fix the problem for free when the program couldn't do it, they'd spend hours and hours on the phone telling you step by step, losing all their profits on staff to manually remove. Get a local kid to come fix it for ya!