Sylvania LCD 32 in television / stopped working after 6 months

1 Pomona, NY, United States Review updated:

I bought a Sylvania tv and 6 months later it stopped working. Not a great endorsement for the company but I figured it happens. The 2 months that followed were horrible. This company specializes in vague answers and lies. As of right now, I'm sitting with a broken boxed up tv in my den waiting for a refund for the company (which I'm not holding my breath for!)

Comments

• 2w
      5th of Jun, 2009

I purchased a 37 inch Sylvania HDTV and 114 days later it broke. Of course my Target warrenty expired (only good for 90 days) and Sylvania has a warrenty for the first year on parts ONLY. The bonus was that I had purchased the extended warrenty through Target. They would pay the labor $116 and my tv was going to have to be sent to the Sylvania repair (not one in my city).
    I figured surely Target would handle this locally and so I called them. Bad mistake. I explained to the sales person what happened and he needed to talk to his manager. As he is explaining to her he refers to my tv as "The crappy Sylvania." When I confronted the issue, she told me that it would be handled and it was not my concern. What, he referred to my tv as "the crappy Sylvania" and it doesn't concern me! She of course just referred me to corporate and said that maybe there was a loop hole but there was nothing she could do on a local level.
    Corporate Target rep Sandra was a B*5#h. She raised her voice at me several times and wouldn't listen to my problem. I actually think she gets some type of commission on NOT solving problems. I had to remind her that I was talking several times. She continued to interrupt as if she were the customer with the issue. She does NOT undestand the concept of customer service. I tried to explain that all I wanted was a working tv. I am 39 years old, no children and very capable of operating a tv and had not done anything to break this on. I asked who was going to pay my cable bill while this one was being repaired and she just advised me to call the cable company and have them put it on hold until it was repaired or just use another tv. I would have done that but I only own 1 tv which was now broken. I couldn't even record future programs while this one was being repaired since my dang tv was broken. I simply just wanted to return the broken tv and offered to upgrade to a more expensive tv. Her answer was NO. I guess I don't understand. Target could send the tv back to Sylvania as defective and they are sent a new on AND they have a happy customer who would have made a larger purchase (greater profit for Target) or have a VERY ANGRY customer who will tell everyone about the HORRIBLE service I received.
    Well in the end, I purchased another "Crappy Sylvania" (exact tv) and switched them out and returned the broken one. Now they have a broken tv and I have a crappy one that works. I really hate that I had to do that but I felt like they would not work with me. I am sorry for the next person that buys the broken tv but at least they will be able to return it with no problems before the 90 day warrenty expires.

• Tv
      27th of Oct, 2010

The same exact thing is happening to me - I purchased a Sylvania tv in December by early spring it was acting odd - finally went out in August - took it in for repair and now hoops - the part is coming from? - would I purchase another Sylvania - no - same deal - Target, etc.

Same happen to me when I talked to "customer service" - they said "aren't you glad you're getting the part 2 weeks earlier?" - I think they sell so many tv's they aren't bothered by unhappy customers - but spending hard earned $$$ on a product that doesn't last one year...

• Di
      18th of May, 2011

Bought the Sylvania 32" LCD TV at Target. 4 weeks later it stopped working. It would NOT turn on. Target replaced the TV, identical model, and 3 weeks later the TV will "freeze, " regardless of what medium is going through it... broadcast TV, Video tape, DVD... the sound continues on just great, but the picture goes into a "freeze" mode. I have owned a lot of TVs in my 63 years, but this particular model Sylvania is junk. Now, I am headed for Target for another "hassle." Unless you enjoy root canals without anesthesia; unless you enjoy ripping your toenails out with pliers, do NOT consider Sylvania!

• Ev
      24th of Jan, 2014

I purchased a 42"blur-ray disc tv 4 years ago this month. The dvd doesn't work anymore, I am so disappointed. I thought buying a big name meant it would last me awhile. I took out an extended warranty. A lot of good that added expense was.