Switch Media / Shockingly poor performance

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

Please take my word for this, I had the misfortune of dealing with a company called Switch Media in the UK, who said they specialized in web design. Initially they came across very professional but when it came to actually doing what they said the were a complete and utter disgrace. They would be on the phone and email very quickly when it came to stage payments but when it came to working on the site or fixing problems they would ignore phone calls, ignore follow up emails. They promised to build a basic enough site in 4 weeks. It has taken them about 14 weeks to build it. If this wasn't bad enough during these 14 weeks I have had to constantly chase them up to fix all sorts of basic errors on the site. They even launched the site with another companies contact details. To make matters worse in week 11 when the site wasn't even fully built and error strewn they again were on looking for final payment!!! Truly I cannot emphasis just how bad this company is to deal with. I also spoke to a colleague of mine who had a similar experience with them for Accenture. To sum up how they treat their customers, one of which I will never be again, the only support they have over the Christmas period is Sales and Billing. When I called over this period to complain about the fact customers credit cards couldn't be processed and they forgot to put in the recipient address for my products there was no technical support due back until 5th of Jan well no qualified technical support that could fix problems. They then of course try say a recipient address is an additional cost, they do this an awful lot, imagine asking for an ecommerce site and they forget to put in a place where customers can leave their address, as I asked them "When the order is Placed, where do I send the goods?" answer was "...ehh...that's an extra cost". Even then after the break I was ignored about 3 times and had to deal with a new individual altogether as the other ones were probably too embarrassed to talk to me. One word for www.switchmedia.co.uk - DISGRACE. Trust me stay away from this company.

Ma

More Switch Media Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Fc
      4th of Mar, 2009

Hi, I too have experienced very bad service from Switch Media. I was told about the offer for one year free website - but then was not told about the charges that are incurred after one year. As their representative wrote to the wrong scribbled down address the invoices went to no one. I then received a demanding debt letter for an outstanding charge - I paid this last summer. I was told there would be NO MORE CHARGES by someone called Chris at their Liverpool office. Now I have just found out that my credit card has been automatically charged for a transaction I have not asked for. I would stay away from Switch Media. I would not advise anyone to deal with Switch Media. Do not take up services from Switch Media and do not give Switch Media your account details. Switch Media are fraudsters and Switch Media will not gain positive comments from customers if they continue to work in this way. Switch Media need to be kept clear of. Read other compaints of Switch Media at http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews152915.html.

• Av
      23rd of Feb, 2010

Swith Media?????? Stay away from them...agree with both comments. Very Bad company and A word of WARNING to potential customers...NEVER, NEVER GIVE THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER.

• St
      1st of Mar, 2010

my god, I thought I was the only one. DO NOT EVEN GO THRERE, had a nightmare situation and endup spending lots of money too. This company is a total rip-off.

People please stay away from this company.

Thanks
    Steve

• Te
      9th of Mar, 2010

I certainly agree with the above comments. This company is ridiculously incompetent! I have lost a whole website under their management.

• Si
      7th of Jan, 2011

Hi I must admit my dealings with Switchmedia have certainly left me cold. Towards the end of my contract they sent me reminders to pay when I informed them that I was moving the account elsewhere all seemed fine. Unfortunately due to a number of things I wasn't paying attention to my credit card and they charged me the annual fee. A second account was treated similarly and I have paid them almost €300 for services that I will not use in 2011. I have been in touch with them to no avail other than it will take 60 days to close my account - there has been no confirmation of a refund for the remainder of the year. I am amazed that an internet savvy company would be so casual about their customer service. I certainly won't be recommended them to any company. Siobhán

• Pr
      10th of Jan, 2011

I had a domain name for 3 years with swirchmedia and was not aware of the rolloing contract; I asumed it was a 2 year contract therefore when my business ceased trading I thought I would not have to pay anymore. However I then recived a call from a guy called chris who said I needed to pay nexts year fee. I explained that the company had cease trading and I no longer needed the domain name. Chris infomed that I had to pay because I legally need to give for weeks notice. However Chris called me the 2 days before the renewal date (handy). I have refused to pay and have now recieved a county court threats. As I have recieved no reminders or calls I feel this is un fair trading. Has anyone been to court with these barrow boys?

21st of Oct, 2011

Just registered my new company. They sent me an official looking letter that I thought was going to be my certificate of incorporation. Welcoming me and saying that they were pleased to inform me of my new company registration and that I was successfully incorporated. It was all designed to look like they'd had a hand in setting it up instead of just trawling through newly registered business details. Then they try to sell domains and hosting. I would not deal with any company that so clearly tries to trick people. I have to dig people out of scams like this all the time, reminds me of the domain renewal letters sent out that charge £90 instead of £5 and aren't even the company the domain name is registered with. They look official enough so people assume it's a company they're already dealing with. In my experience companies that try these tricks generally play dirty when it comes to renewing or moving from their service by hiking up charges and holding you to ransom.

14th of Dec, 2011

I agree with the above. They have me no service for a year, then when I tried to cancel they said I had signed up for 2 years (read the small print!) and had to pay them for 2 years.
    I have now been told I have to pay them for 3 years because I failed to inform them in writing 30 days before. when I told them i would not be paying them, they said they would pass this on to their legal team.
    Has anyone contested them in court?

• Al
      15th of Mar, 2012

Switchmedia has entered me into a contract without me knowing and now they demand payment for something i have never used. when i phoned them, they simply told me to pay otherwise it will be passed onto a debt collection agency. when asked for a complaints number, they said they didnt have one and there is nothing i can do about it. Stay away from this company!!

• Al
      15th of Mar, 2012

I was given an account with switch media for a year which included web space and domain. I had never used this as i found better services else where. I have now received a letter demanding £118 for next year. I phoned them to say that i do not need or use their service and do not want to renew my service. They said i entered into a contract and had to pay. I never received a contract nor accepted any contract. They said its tough you still have to pay and if you dont we will take you to court. I asked for a complaints department and they simply said no, there isnt one, you will just have to pay. DO NOT USE SWITCH MEDIA!!! Scam

• Mr
      20th of Mar, 2012

Just had a dispute with Switchmedia after receiving their 2nd year bill and finding that I could not opt out as the small print states that by entering into the initial £5, 12 month agreement, you are in fact commiting to a 2 year minimum contract. This was not evident in the sales documentation and I do not believe that the court would consider such an onerous term can be adequately disclosed through website terms and conditions.

I plan to challenge this in the small court but wonder if anyone has already attempted this?

I would re-iterate that this company operates in a very underhand manner and I would strongly recommend that anyone choosing a domain host look elsewhere.

21st of Mar, 2012

I agree with you and I think it says everything about the company that they would deliberately hide such a key component in the small print and refrain from mentioning it until after the rollover.

They also do not contact you again until after the 3rd year rollover.

It wouldn't be so bad if they provided a decent service!

Good luck if you do go to the trouble of taking them to court. Perhaps you can try googling to see if anyone else has with this, or a similar company.

• 9r
      2nd of Apr, 2012

I am regrettably still a customer of Switch Media and believe me my experience has been shocking.
    1. It has taken over 14 months to get a website designed
    2. It was hosted under the wrong domain name
    3. I paid over £5500 for an e-commerce website and to date this is still not available on my site
    4. In the 14 months I have been a 'customer' of Switch Media they have only contacted me twice. Both times were to collect payments from me for work that had not even been done
    5. I know for a fact that unless I made contact with them then to this day I would not have a website
    6. The website that I have got (remember that it has cost me £5500) could have been designed by GCSE students. It is truely rubbish

• Ab
      19th of Apr, 2012

Called Switchedmedia after finding out that they charged me GBP118 for the second year. when i called the guy was very rude and told me that he cant do anything .

PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

i really want to take them to the court, anyone done this before?

• Se
      23rd of May, 2012

I have received a letter from these cowboys too, it infuriated me to see that they inform you of your company's incorporation date and give you a reference number, they try to make themselves sound like a part of companies house... disgraceful! can anyone recommend a registrar that are reliable and respectable please?

17th of Jun, 2012

I feel for all of the above. I am now in the same situation. I will take this to court even if it ends up costing double.

I am sick of being ripped off. I feel a bit silly as it all looked above board when I registered. Well I had no letter to say it would be rolled over at the rip off price of £140.pp. Good luck switchmedia, you won't get another penny out of me.

• De
      9th of Oct, 2012

These guys are rip off. A complete rip-off. Be very careful and do not take their service at all, There are many much better providers. I had one of worst times dealing with these guys. Their terms and conditions are not at all inline with the law i would say. If you want to change the provider, their next year fee should be paid as well. - Ridiculous to be honest.

• Ji
      29th of Oct, 2012

Can such practices still exists? When I registered my company last year I thought I received a letter from Companies House congratulating me " We are pleased to inform you that your company is registered..." £5 for a year looked too good to be true, just found out it was as they tricked me into a 2 year contract (somewhere in the small print)...received a bill for £118 for 2nd year, have refused to pay and now they have started threatning me of consequences.
    These guys are no better than street muggers..Stay away...

• At
      4th of Feb, 2013

They've actually taken money out of my account, without authorisation from me. When I called to complain, they refused to refund me. It's not even for my own website, and both I and the owner of the website have been trying to contact them to let them know this. I'm absolutely furious, and I intend to take this as far as I can. They've been operating like this for years, and they are still getting away with it. It has to stop.
    And might I add, I'm disgusted with Companies House for including a Switch Media leaflet with their new companies pack.

• Sc
      11th of Apr, 2013

Same for me I am taking my complaint through credit card compamy and Euro consumer agency