Swazi Bengals / Won't provide registration of kitten

1 24002 North Willard AvenueBenton City, WA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 509-588-0341

Swazi Bengals supposedly sells purebred registered Bengal cats. I contacted them to purchase one and was told before I purchased the kitten that it would come with a health guarantee. Registration papers would be provided when I spayed the cat. When I met Mary Masters to purchase the kitten, she did not bring any papers. She did not bring the health guarantee papers, vaccination records, etc. Since I had traveled over 4 hours to get there, I paid her $300 and took the kitten home. This was on January 11th.

I wanted the health guarantee, so I emailed them several times and finally they sent one over a month later and I received it on February 13th. The health guarantee turned out to be a contract they wanted signed. The contract had pages of demands that they wanted with a couple of sentences about the health guarantee. First the contract had a different date of birth for the kitten on it than they originally told me and then the contract said I was to have the kitten examined by a vet within the first 72 hours. Since they did not provide me with these papers at time of purchase and NEVER mentioned this before, I would not sign it. They also wanted me to sign this contract stating I would pay any legal fees in upholding the contract regardless of who won the case (if there ever was one). And a few other things I did not agree with. We sent a few emails back and forth and they won’t budge on changing a few things with their contract.

Fine – we both do not agree on the contract. I don’t want to deal with these people ever again anyway. However I do want the registration papers. I emailed them on February 26th and asked them if they would provide the registration papers when I got the cat spayed. She said she would not since I will not sign their contract.

Since the contract was never mentioned before the sale or at the time of the sale, I don’t feel like I should be required to sign it to get the registration papers. The only thing they said about the registration papers is that I have to have her spayed before receiving them. I agreed and paid for a purebred, registered kitten and I did not receive one – I just received a plain kitten, as they won’t provide me with the registration papers. I was also told I would receive a health guarantee and they won’t provide one. Instead they want me to sign a contract so they can sue me for any reason they see fit regarding the cat.

Sp

Comments

7th of Mar, 2009

Since I am the breeder in question here anyone wanting the emails on this purchase can contact me at anytime. There is mention of the contract for spay and that spay needed to be done before she would be released the registration papers also there has been an offer 3 different times to refund her money and to meet her in the same location for transfer as she picked the kitten up at...she is one of those customers that no matter what will never be happy. again, I will be happy to send the line of emails to whomever...it will not of course show the times in the beginning where she phoned us and was told the same info...under contract w/spay. She was sent this contract on three different times and I even changed the date for her vet appointment at her request. She went in--retyped my entire contract to what she wanted it worded and sent it back to me to sign. What does she think? that the world revolves around her?

swazibengals.org

8th of Mar, 2009

Shawna Pelts states that I scammed her. How did I...I advertised a purebred Bengal kitten being sold as a pet under a spay contract for ($300) three hundred dollars with registration blue slip being handed over when I received proof of spay. I still have not received proof of spay. She states I have hit her with unauthorized charges. The only money that changed hands was the $300 dollars. Where are the unauthorized charges? She states I sold her a defective product? I have emails from Shawna that states she is very happy with the kitten and it passed its vet exam with flying colors and to date I have offered her the money she paid on this kitten back three times and she has refused to do so. How can this kitten be "defective" when she wont even return the kitten and get her money? She states she had poor service? What Shawna wants is a registration slip on a kitten she wont spay and she refuses to sign the contract the kitten was advertised under. I wont let her have this registration until she supplies proof of spay and returns my signed contract.

Shawna states she was "ripped off". We'll lets discuss that one. She was sold a kitten that I had planned on keeping for my cattery. This kitten was breeder/show quality and I told her that from the beginning. Now she refuses to have the kitten spayed, has told me via email she is going to breed her, wont sign my contract and wants the registration papers and until she gets the papers she is going to continue to slam me on every venue she can find. These where her words via email. Pet quality kittens of this kittens calibre start at no less than $500 and can be as much as $1200, breeder/show quality start at $1800.IN MY HUMBLE OPINION Shawna got what she wanted. A breeder/show kitten for the price of $300, which if anyone has priced these kittens is the BEST DEAL she could have gotten anywhere, by scamming me into believing she only wanted her for a pet. And now she is pissy because I wont provide the registration papers until I get proof of spay along with my contract signed. Not the contract she went in to reword the way she wanted the contract read but the contract that protects the kitten if she cannot take care of it right, that protects me the buyer from the exact same thing she is doing now and gives the buyer a full 2 year guarantee from FIP and a full 5 year guarantee from HCM. I believe that Shawna planned on keeping this girl to breed and did not want to pay the breeder prices she was being given. There fore I dont understand how she was ripped off.

Now my question is: since she refuses to spay this little girl and has told me she plans on breeding her where is my additional $1500.00 for the breeder kitten she "scammed" off of me?

8th of Mar, 2009

My name is Shawna, I originally posted the complaint. Mary Masters replies are filled with lies to try and cover or save her reputation as a breeder. I also have every single email exchanged between both of us and would be happy to provide them to anyone. Yes there was a contract for spay and I emailed her on February 26th and asked “Would you provide the registration papers for the cat if I get her spayed?” She answered verbatim “I will not provide a valid registration blue slip for this cat unless you send me back my signed contract, the original that I sent to you, and proof of spay.” Now I had already had the cat spayed on February 19th, I just asked her to see if she would send the registration papers. She has stated she will not unless I sign her contract as I wrote about in the original complaint. I have no intention or have ever had any intention of breeding this cat (obviously since she HAS been spayed). She states that I have said that I am going to breed this cat – BUT THAT IS A LIE – I NEVER SAID THAT.

And no, I will not drive 4 hours to give this cat back to Mary after the way she has treated me and after all the many additional expenses we have had with the cat. I will let this matter drop once I get the registration papers. But she has refused unless I sign her contract. And in regards to her contract, after I received their contract, in the interest of time and the length it takes to hear back from these people. I did change a few things on the contract myself and sent the changed contract back to them that I signed. I took out the part which requires me to contact them before rehoming the cat, if I ever need to (as I don't want to have any more contact with these people) and I took out the part where it says I would have to pay any legal fees in withholding the contract. Mary was very upset that I made these changes, but I only did so, because getting the contract in the first place and the length of time it takes to hear from them is so long.

Look at the inconsistencies in her response even. She says I “states that I scammed her” and I was “ripped off” something about “unauthorized charges” and a “defective product”. Look at my original complaint – I NEVER SAID THESE THINGS. Poor service – ABSOLUTELY. That shows you what kind of person she is. She is even putting words in my mouth trying to make me look bad. But that is just the kind of person she is and the kind of breeder she is. I am very glad I didn’t sign her contract.

I won’t send her the proof of spay until she will agree to send me the registration papers if I do so. I want it in writing.

She states that her cats can be worth up to $1, 800, but right now on her website (swazibengals.org) she has another kitten for sale for $200. Why so cheap if they are worth so much?

14th of Mar, 2009

# Swazi Bengals Complaints - Won't provide registration of kitten
    Feb 28, 2009 ... Swazi Bengals supposedly sells purebred registered Bengal cats. I contacted them to purchase one and was told before I purchased the kitten ...
    # Swazi Bengals Complaints
    Complete list of Swazi Bengals complaints. Scam, unauthorized charges, rip off, defective product, poor service.

When you call me a liar you should really look into it better...All you have to do is pull it up under Swazi Bengals search.

14th of Mar, 2009

Now the $200 dollar cat on my site is another situation where the buyer could not financially meet their obligation and willingly returned this girl to my care to be spayed and petted out. She is not breeder quality nor is she show quality. She is also 1year old and not a kitten.

Shawna was advised to meet me in Moses Lake Wa for the exchange of the cat for her $300 dollars and I was not required to pay her any additional fees. This was told to her by one of the agencies she turned me into. This is because I have not done anything wrong and Shawna just cant take no for an answer.

16th of Mar, 2009

This is Shawna again - here she goes again. She has and is continuing to lie throughout this whole process and she is not to be trusted. I was not advised to meet her in Moses Lake for the exchange. That is what Mary wants and has demanded if she is to give a refund. But I will not drive 4 hours when she is the one that has not given what she advertised and treated me horribly. All she has to do is provide the registratoin papers she promised when I got the cat spayed. I found out recently that her membership with the TIBCS (who registeres these cats) has expired months ago. No wonder she won't provide the registration papers.

Shawna,

I can provide the emails from the U.S. Attorneys office and from TIBCS. Which by the way does not register my kittens. My kittens are registered with TICA. Why dont you just shut your pie hole and deal with the situation? I will not release the blue slip now if you sent me my original contract and proof of spay. However, if the new owners want the paper work all they have to do is contact me. That is what you threatened to do...get rid of the kitten because you are tired of dealing with me and I could not be trusted.

I am a member of TIBCS because I choose to be, its a voluntary membership and does nothing for me other than mediate with people like you. My membership lapsed because I did not realize it was due to be re-newed and I have already taken care of that, thanks for letting them know it had lapsed. I dont know who your contact is but maybe they should also shut their pie-hole.

swazibengals.org

20th of Mar, 2009

I can also provide those emails - they were not in her favor so I don't know why she is offering that. They both pretty much said they can't do anything unless I want to take her to small claims court. I do not want to waste my time with that. I don't want to let this matter drop however since she sold me a cat with out registration papers - I can get one of those from the shelter. I want to warn other people to not to do business with her - but you can probably tell from your responses here how rude of a person she is.

20th of Mar, 2009

Shawna I am not going to argue with you anymore. It is a waste of my time. I am not going to get back on this site. I have wasted time I dont have fighting with you about a situation we neither can agree on. My life does not revolve around you or your wants or needs. You are the only person to have a problem with me and my contract and ethics in four years of breeding. I appreciate the fact that those of my customers that are willing to sign my contract are those type of people I know will take care of my kittens and have their wants and needs first before just dumping them because life does not bend to their will. Yes, I did screw up. I let a kitten go w/out getting my contract signed and I did not fully investigate the type of home my kitten went to. And yes, I do check into references and have a pre kitten application that is usually done before even the contract is sent out. Again, I screwed up. It wont happen again.

20th of Mar, 2009

I however will not let this drop. You sold me a kitten which you promised registration papers for when she was spayed. I had the cat spayed and you did not and will not provide the registration papers. No your life does not revolve around me or have I ever asked it to. All I have ever wanted is for you to do the right thing and provide the registration papers for the cat you sold me. That's not too hard nor is it too much to ask. Just think this could have been resolved months ago if you just did what you said you would do and kept your word - instead you lie up and down about pretty much everything. Be a honest person Mary and problems wont follow you. You have said you won't provide me the registration papers so how about refunding my money then - I will also accept that as a resolution and drop out of your life.

20th of Mar, 2009

As I told you on three different times. Not a problem. Meet me in Moses Lake before noon on Sunday and I will refund your $300.

21st of Mar, 2009

And I have told you many times also - I will not drive 4 hours because you are in the wrong here. I have offered to meet you half way which you have absolutely refused. Meeting half way is not so hard or too much to ask.

21st of Mar, 2009

Well Shawna, you got my contract three times and one was even modified to fit your needs. This would have protected you, me and the cat. Instead you went in and RE-TYPED my contract to suit your needs. The contract you mailed back to me had all the clauses out of it to protect me and the kitten.

With out my contract (Mine not Yours) you have no leg to stand on legally. If I offered you such an inferior product and "0" customer service why dont just return the kitten to me and meet me in Moses Lake or even Ritzville. Ritzville is half way for both of us. What your trying to do is black ball me into doing things your way. When you had the opportunity to tell me the truth about spaying the kitten you would not and when I got upset you contacted the US Attorney office, BBB and TIBCS, this forum and every other internet forum you could find to put pressure on me to bend to your will.

Bottom line. You are not going to get the blue slip. I only required MY contract back signed and dated along with the proof of spay and you would have gotten the blue slip. Instead you are trying a smear campaign and yes, it might hurt my selling kittens for a while, but you are not getting the blue slip. Complain away. I dont breed Bengals to make money. I breed Bengals because I love the breed.
    I dont have a lot of kittens out there because I want to make sure my kittens have a loving home where I dont have to worry about their future.

Again, bottom line. I will not release the blue slip to you. Smear away.

21st of Mar, 2009

Mary - if you are going to demand people sign your contract - you must present it before or at the time of sale. You can not demand it after the sale has already happened. This was your mistake. I kept asking for the health guarantee and over a month later you sent me a contract instead. I did not agree with everything in your contract so in the interest of time (since it takes so long to hear from you) I removed 2 things I did not agree with (which was to get written permission if I ever needed to rehome the cat and to pay any court fees regarding holding up the contract no matter who won the case). You are the one trying to force me to do something you never mentioned before and the creating lies about phone conversations that never happened.

Oh and by the way meeting in Ritzville would be a 48 mile trip for you a 140 mile trip for me. That's why I suggested Spokane.

20th of Jun, 2009

I understand both the breeder and the new owner are frustrated. I both agree and disagree with the complaint. I am a bit shocked and surprised that breeder would hand over a kitten with no documentation of any kind. I own purebreds myself, (persians) and I've bought from breeders before. None of my breeders would EVER think of handing over a kitten and taking money without the contract signed FIRST. No contract, no deal. This makes me think the breeder was desperate for money or in a hurry to sell because the kitten was getting older. Another curious thing is that the breeder, instead of remaining calm, is yelling, making accusations, and keeps repeating herself on how this kitten is "worth so much more." Well if thats true why did you sell it for so little? And why do you still have current ads on kijiji for kittens in the same amount? As a breeder whose main goal in life is customer service, perhaps a bit of class and dignity would help the situation?

As to the complainee, I also understand where you are coming from. There seems to be a lot of miscommunication between you and the breeder and a lot of it looks like simple misunderstandings that escalated due to your both having such high emotions invested in the problem. I dont think though that you are stuck with "a plain ole cat". Just because you dont have registration papers doesnt mean your bengal stops being a bengal. Your kitten isnt going to ever be a plain cat, it is a bengal. Maybe thats why the breeder was worried you wanted to breed. Registration is a key factor if your breeding not if shes your pet. I'm also sorry that she never mentioned a pet contract to you. That was a serious mistake on her part. All breeders (if reputable) have a pet contract they have their owners sign to protect themselves, you and your kitten. The part about contacting her before you rehome it is to ensure that kittens dont end up on Craigslist or just resold over and over. Most breeders will take back a cat (even older cats) that they sold and will find them a suitable home for free if you cant keep them. Theres nothing wrong with this unless you are already planning to resell the kitten. I did a little research because I was curious. Bengal kittens do seem to go for approximately $650-850 on the west coast for pets. At $300 I'm not sure why but you did get a good deal. If your kitten makes you happy.. well be happy.

• Gg
      4th of Jul, 2009
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

I would love to meet Shawna. I have also boughten a kitten from Mary Masters before. Mine was $600 though, it seems shes dropped her price yet again. My male kitten was supposedly a "high quality bengal" show or breeder worthy but she'd rather see him go as a pet. This was my first bengal and obviously I wasnt very smart. Compared to my friends bengal who shines and glitters and looks great, mine looks like a mixed mutt. (I love him to death though) He was sort of sick when we first got him but got over it quickly. Its not a wonder too because her house is filthy. The cats all look like they have runny eyes and it smells like cat urine. I decided to take my poor little guy out of these conditions immediately and just hope I wouldnt end up paying thousands in vet bills. I hope this woman gets shut down. In her complaints she says she works 60+ hours a week. If you have no time to dedicate yourself to your cats, why are you breeding??

• Ms
      29th of Jul, 2011

We have purchased a kitten through Mary and have absolutely no complaints. She is very upfront and personable. Her house has some repair needs that are in progress, but was not filthy by any means. We liked her honesty and the kitten we chose, we took to our own vet and the kitten is perfectly healthy. All kittens can be sensitive to food changes, etc. We would buy from her again and also recommend her to others.

29th of Jul, 2011

We just purchased a kitten through Mary Masters. She has some beautiful Bengal cats. Marie is a great wonderful Silver Bengal. Now as for not getting papers you have to get the animal Spayed or netured first before you can get the registration for the animal if it is sold as a pet kitten. My wife and I the women that just post a comment mslissa1207 I totally agree with what she says and we will be buying a Snow Bengal from her soon. She is a very nice person and you people are rude. Here is a picture of our new baby she is such a sweetheart!

• Ca
      9th of Oct, 2011

I've met many Bengal breeders over time and have purchased three Bengal kittens of my own. It sounds as if Mary's contract is standard for breeders of any pedigreed cat.

I don't understand why she would sell a Bengal kitten of any quality for only $300.00. That is a very low price. I do know that sometimes a breeder will have too many kittens or will be expecting too many kittens for their circumstances and they do sometimes let them go to good homes for very low prices. That could be the case here.

MsLissa, not all Bengals are glittered and that is not a factor in pricing. The glitter is not even mentioned in the Bengal breed standard and most Supreme Grand Champion Bengals are not glittered. Personally I like the glitter and since I do like glitter, I buy glittered kittens. I can't imagine buying an unglittered kitten and then complaining because it is not glittered. The things that make a cat 'high quality' are mainly bone and head structure. Like I said, glitter has no bearing at all.

In my opinion the problem between Mary and Shawna is primarily due to a mistake on Mary's part and one that she will probably never repeat. That is letting you take possession of a kitten without the contract signed first. It is hard to believe there are so many unscrupulous buyers out there. Others, like you, simply want to take advantage of the lack of a contract by demanding things that you are not ethically or legally entitled to. The contract both protects the buyer from getting an unhealthy kitten and the breeder from nutbags who want something for nothing.

Shawna, you should walk away from this grateful that you got a nice cat for next to nothing -- the blue slip doesn't really matter unless you plan to show or breed the cat. By your own admission you do not have this intention.

Mary, live and learn and be very careful in the future.

• Me
      22nd of Oct, 2011

if you have managed to get a bengal for 300 dollars your lucky. she is entitled to ask for the cat to be neutered.bengals never really cost their true value and i for one have sold cats in the past for a small amount . with just a verbal agreement to be neutered . the people i sold too were happy to have a good quality pet so cheap. they were not breeding and the registration made no difference. so what is the proble?
    if i was having this problem i would get the cat registered with a clause (NOT FOR BREEDING)
    HAVE A WORD WITH TICA. THEY ARE VERY GOOD AT PROBLEM SOLVING.