Swarga Resort / Inefficient service
We were so disgusted by our experience at this resort on a coffee estate that we filed a case against the resort at the Consumer Court in Bangalore.
Link to the Court judgement:
Here are some of the issues we faced:
• Disturbance and loud noise due to guys driinking way into the night disturbing other guests.
• We did not get even basic things like coffee and hot water for bath on time. It was impossible to get into touch with the staff there to take care of basic needs or even emergencies of the guests. When we personally aired our grievances to Chirag about the hot water and lack of any service, he said people who come here are very “relaxed”
The reason given for lack for coffee/tea was laughable to say the least. “The cows haven’t been milked yet!”
• No hiking guide was sent with us. This was another thing that the website promised.
• Mr.Chirag preferred to serve alcohol and entertain other guests late into the night, and so they were not in a position to attend to guests in the morning. We realized that the enterprise was primarily a watering hole as opposed to a nature-friendly outdoor adventure destination which was how the booking agency getoffyourass.com and swarga.in websites had advertised it to be.
• The facilities in the room were also extremely sub-par. The unwashed blankets and their covers were smelly and reeked of use by multiple guests. The bathroom fixtures were very cheap, and the toilet seat had come off but nobody was available to ask that it be repaired. The room was not cleaned in all the 2 days and 3 nights we spent there despite our requests.
• Food of poor quality- we suffered health problems because of which we left a day earlier than planned
• Forced to make full-pre-payment and not refunded for t
Since we were forced to make full pre-payment for the entire stay there, we were wary of just packing our bags and leaving sooner since we would lose all the money with no possibility of a refund. We felt extremely helpless that we couldn’t improve our existing situation since our “host” was most insensitive and apathetic. We left a day earlier than planned
• Insulted by the home stay owner
Before leaving, we complained about the bad experience we suffered and he accused us of being “cranky customers” and said that we should have been more “relaxed” and “laid back” on his premises. He also arrogantly and with great insensitivity claimed that “his business does not depend on customers like you”.
Unfair and unethical trade practices
We reached the conclusion that - in the name of exotic location, a promise of outdoor adventure and soothing holiday relaxation - Swarga is a commercial enterprise that employs child labor, aggressively encourages alcohol consumption on its premises, does not meet basic guest requirements of food and clean living quarters, and shamelessly justifies such treatment of its customers.
The District Forum of the Consumer Court passed an order in January 2008 in our favor and ordered Swarga to recompense us the entire tariff amount.
Here's the link to the district court judgement: