Sutherland models, ModelWork, Toronto / Scam

1 Ontario, Canada Review updated:

Sutherland models is a scam a ripoff. No matter what they say to you! 90 % of their models get nothing. Some of their models get jobs there and the rest just get a piece of paper for around $ 1200 - $ 2500. They lie to you, everyone is accepted, if you have more than one family member who auditioned, one of them WILL get accepted, unless you are wealthy, which they determine by your occupation on the initial application you fill to 'audition.' If they know you can pay for both children, they will squeeze everything out of you.

I am a victim and everyday I regret loosing my money for nothing. They don't even train you properly, they make you sit in a small room with a bunch of chairs along side the wall and talk. There are people who have been in the school for years and are still there today. Sutherland models is just for rich people who just want their small children to have a hobby, they will NOT get any where with this company! I learned the hard way, and I promise if you join this company you will see the same or even worst than me. First you have to pay for training and then again pay to become a model with their modeling division Model work.

The only thing they want is MONEY, MONEY, MONEY!!! I want to prevent what happened to me from happening to any other young girl. Sutherland crushed my hopes dreams and spirit and them took my money. I do not recommend Sutherland models at all. There are other means of getting training and getting in the show business. Please beware!!

St

Comments

28th of Apr, 2009

Dear Stephanie,

I am sorry that you are disappointed with our program. However it is unfortunate that you have chosen express your frustration through an anonymous forum such as this one and others, as you are misinformed and slandering our company with false accusations.

The cost of the Sutherland Models training program is $997. Further, it has been at this price range for over 20 years.

Both our agency and our school have great reputations. Many of our clients, including magazine editors, send their children to us…in fact the majority of our enrollment comes from referrals. So we must be doing something right.

What we are doing right is providing professional instructors in the areas of modeling, photography, makeup, self-defense and others to our students.

What we are also doing right is running one of North America’s best modeling agencies, as well as a student division that has been the springboard for countless careers. Notably at this time we are proud of our latest star Addison (see www.sutherlandmodels.com/addison ).

My personal experience of taking a modeling course when I was a teen was truly wonderful and was invaluable as a building block to my self-confidence and self esteem. I wish that this had been your experience too.

I extend an open invitation to you to meet with me at your convenience to discuss this further.

Sincerely
    Sutherland Models Inc.
    416-703-7070

19th of Jan, 2017

@ann sutherland Update! the post above is from 2009 The world has changed...we no longer offer training as we have found that classes in makeup, runway, wardrobe and photography among others, are now at everyone’s disposal on youtube, with some really, really great videos and tutorials out there!

The internet has also been amazing for our business to scout new models and promote them both nationally and internationally.

So if you are interested in applying to our agency, feel free to go to the "apply" section on our website,
    All the best!

• Su
      19th of Jun, 2009
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

Ann Sutherland may be genuine, but the fact that I have taken this course and seen the ugliest, shortest, fattest, untalented girls worked through the $997 program doesn't show me that Sutherland's school is 100% non-ripoff worthy. There are girls that are definitely not going anywhere in any talent or look-related career.

It appears that while Sutherland Models is a highly reputable agency, that they are using their reputation to profit themselves a little too much. There are new girls in classes being pumped out of that place CONSTANTLY. It is unbelievable to think that the agency is truly interested in each one.

19th of Jan, 2017

@sutherlandsutherland Hi,
    Just a note to say that we loved having students of all shapes and sizes! So be kind.

I am happy to say that to this day I meet past students who have said that we played an important part in their lives and their self-esteem. That is something I will forever be proud of. That is what the classes were designed to do….

Having said this, times have changes and there are a lot of modeling lessons to be learned from Youtube and other places on the internet. So because of this, we no longer offer classes. BUT if you are interested in applying to our amazing agency, please go to our website and apply. The internet has also offered us the ability to cast a wider net to scout!

Sincerely

• Ju
      19th of Oct, 2009

I absolutely agree with Steph, I think the only reason why this company is highly reputable is because some of their models do make a lot of money and have travelled all over the world but at the same time it is wrong to make people with no potential think that after taking these classes they will be magically transformed into highly paying models. One of the agents told me that I look amazing and that I will be making millions one day with my looks and then after she handed me a paper outlining how much it will cost me to achieve my goals. Tyra Banks, is a highly paying model, and the host of America’s Next Top Model, always said that if an agency sees a potential in you they will never ask you to pay them any amount of money. She said this on one of the episodes on national television! Why would an agency make someone go out of their ways to pay them $1000 if they knew that this girl/guy has the potential to make their company money???? Once a model is represented by a company that company gets a certain percentage of the model’s earnings, which is what keeps the company reputable and ultimately earns them money to run the company itself. Any modelling agency who asks for money during the interview process is contradicting itself and demonstrating the fact that they are scamming you to make the extra cash and to make you think that you will become a model for a fee. How ridiculous does that sound – “You can be a model if you pay us $$$$”. I know a few models and none of them paid any money to become one, I’ve read interviews with models that specifically said that when they first started their agency covered all the initial fees and they gave the money back once they started working which is what every company should do. Stop stealing money from poor people with dreams!!! Offer them a job as one of your agents or a receptionist, at least you’re being honest about them not having a potential. You should be ashamed of yourselves!

• De
      23rd of Nov, 2009

I am CONSTANTLY told that a model should NEVER HAVE TO PAY FOR ANYTHING! The agent / agency gets paid when the model books work, that is how they make their money back. Forking over a thousand dollars for classes is ridiculous. I do admit, most girls do need training, but it should not have to cost you a thousand dollars...again, the agent should make the money back when the model books jobs.

I have gotten more work independently than through an agent. All you need is the right marketing tools, and guess what; IT DIDN'T COST ME A DIME! I was in Clin D'oeil magazine, Today's Bride many fashions shows, and tv shows and movies. I did this on my own, not with an agent. Again, some businesses prefer dealing with an agent, but it's not necessary. If you can find someone who will represent you FREE then these people believe in you.

Many modelling agencies do just want the money. They can argue otherwise, but it's true; it's only a selected few that they focus on. The rest just sit on the agency website or wall to make them look good and "busy". I have been with modelling agencies since i was barely a pre-teen (i'm now an adult) and I quit because I was tired of giving money and not getting anything in return. I paid over 15, 000 in attending conventions, over 5, 000 in pictures that were "needed" when all they really care about are polaroids, and another several grand on classes (which taught the same thing over and over again). I don't know how many times i've been told by strangers that I look like a model, should be a model, etc, but I just couldn't seem to book a job when I had an agent. If you're rich and / or ethnic, you're a shoe in. But if you're anything else, sorry guys it's not going to happen.

16th of Dec, 2009

If you say this one is no good, is there anywhere you might suggest?

16th of Dec, 2009

If you do not think this is a good company, are there any that you would suggest?

16th of Dec, 2009

If you do not like this company, is there one that you might suggest?

• Mo
      12th of Jan, 2010

As a model and former participant in the Sutherland ModelWorks program I can verify that it is not a scam.
    After going through the program I was then approached by agents in Sutherland to persue a real career.
    In the interview before my entry I was given advice on whether it would or would not be worth investing in. True though it is that the girls in the program are not necessarily typical model material, every girl still has the opportunity to acquire the skills. it is only after that they move from learning to being avaliable for cattle calls is their potential measured.
    Steph, perhaps you should save your slanders for places that really are scams, as opposed to a reputable angecy that represents models internationally.

• Be
      16th of Jan, 2010

I am taking Sutherland classes right now, I am by NO means rich, I am ethnic looking and am utterly confused. I felt bad about paying money but don't belive it's a scam. I hope I am doing the right thing but I guess i won't know until I have started working for them. Any advice? Should I be looking for another agency in the mean time?

• Be
      24th of Jan, 2010

Here to comment again - I am taking these classes right now and plan on calling the AMIH tomorrow to clear up some things and it will hopefully clear things up for everyone.

I have found out that according to the Entertainment Code of Ethics a talent agent cannot advertise to the general public, provide Classes or Photo services (or require you to use said services) and they will not sign an under-trained model or actor.
    I generally feel that I will benefit from these classes and will work hard to land jobs and be successful. I hope it is possible, they are after all Canada's top agency.

• Sh
      24th of Jan, 2010

I have been 2 this agency, and I say it WAS a scam. Though i learned some things from their trainning, i did not land anything and so did many of my friends from there.

• Aa
      25th of Jan, 2010

This is deffinitly not making things any easier for me. I posted a comment 5 days ago under the name "Veraa". My mom thinks it's a scam and is worried, wich is making me worried. After I read all the comments on this page the first time, i couldn't help but think bad things. It's not cheap, and i live two hours away from Toronto, so there's gonna be alot of driving soon.

sh5- Why do you think it's a scam other than not landing anything afterwards? I'm just curious as to what happened after the classes. Did they not try to find you work?

BeccaBee- Glad you found some info, that deff makes me feel a bit better, thanks.
    -"Veraa

26th of Jan, 2010

Hi !

There is truth to be found in all the comments found here. Yes, Sutherland is a well know and definitely has 70+ female, and 50+ male models signed with them...this stat is indicated on their website.

Also true is that there may very well be some benefit to attending their classes, but also true is that one does not have to spend that amount of $$$$.

What one's expectations are having enrolled and completed a course is also a consideration to keep in mind.

Truth also is that if an agency determines that you may be a benefit to them, they should, and often do sign you on without any charge!

As a photgrapher for 35+ years, I have seen many a aspiring model in front of my camera, all with big dreams of making it big in the modelling industry. They often
    come back for more takes, as no agencies have taken them on, nor have they had any work, or if they had some work, the time they had to date put forth, and the rewards in financial terms often proved dismal. So their thought was that maybe more shots for their portfolio would improve their chances. It can of course, but I harken back to what I said earlier, and that is if an agency believes you have a potential to be marketed, they will sign you up for FREE!

If you are convinced that you are modelling material, do check out other agencies for their opinions. Do watch out for scams. Do ask for references. Check for complaints in your area's Better Business Bureau.

Sutherland is good, but keep in mind that they have graduated since their doors
    opened many an aspiring model, and yet have only a few on the books?
    Find out why! Ask them how many students they've graduated, and how many they've represented since they became an agency! I suspect a good number, but how about world class models... very few in the grand scheme of things I suspect.

My daughter is beautiful, tall and slim to boot, but as for becoming a model, which of course her mother thinks she could be, well my experience says, "it ain't going to happen"

23rd of Mar, 2010

We agree that Sutherland is just banking on their "good reputation". Meanwhile, here is our experience:

Kamera Kids has the most unprofessional and rudest agents in the industry. Our child who was a client with Kamera Kids for 2 years was "X'd" from their roster because we as parents voiced our concerns with their agent, RHONDA CROFT. After many photo shoots and money earned by our child and Kamera Kids, there were always procedural issues. Every 2 months Kamera Kids required us to send them updated measurements and 10 current pictures. After only being a client for 2 months and sending the required updates Rhonda rudely responded via telephone saying "I get 100 e-mails and 10 of them are from you, we only require 5 current photos!" As shocked as we were merely following her guidelines for the next year we only sent 5 pictures along with updated measurements. At 18 months old we walked into their office and renewed our child's membership. The receptionist advised us that children at the age of 2 do not get many calls which we understood and everything was fine. About 2 weeks ago we sent Rhonda 5 current pictures along with measurements of our child and yet again to our dismay we get another rude phone call with even more attitude saying "you clog up my e-mail with your e-mails, I only want the one best picture along with measurements, so I deleted all your e-mails!" It just so happens that on that same day we were on our way to their office to renew our child's memebership again. When we arrived we were greeted by Rhonda who was shocked to see us and told us that we did not have an appointment. We said to her the previous year we did the exact same thing that we are doing now by coming to the office to renew our child's membership. She went on to say that things are different now and we don't accept 2 year olds. Again we understood that they do not accept new 2 year olds but our child was an existing client with them. We asked her why there was such an issue with the 5 pictures when we were just following her instructions and even brought up the initial incident of the 10 pictures. She then got all flustered and became even more rude and unprofessional and said "I get 75 e-mails a day, I don't have time to open up all your e-mails" and told us to go find another agency.

We left the office very upset and confused. About one week later we e-mailed the President & CEO of Kamera Kids which is a division of Sutherland Models, Ann Sutherland to express our concerns and we have been waiting for a reply from her ever since.

It seems as though the agents change their minds depending on what mood they are in on that day, and it's us as the client who suffers.

• Mo
      2nd of Apr, 2010

This is crazy... it seems some people have it good there and other's are treated like dirt...It blows my mind

6th of Apr, 2010

i liked the training. i learnd alot and disagree with the above. everyones intitled to their opinion but if ur not a super-model u have to start somewhere...i like sutherland models and cant wait to join mdel works.

6th of Apr, 2010

My daughter recently finished the model training at Sutherland Models and I am a happy mother. At our initial interview we were told that this course was for self develpoment reasons for her (she needed it!) and I was very happy with her progress. Some girls (teens or women) take this course...not to be models but just to feel good about themselves and learn a few things. My daughter met a few great girls in the classes and had a very enlightening experience. Our whole family see's a difference in her. Thank you Sutherlands.

6th of Apr, 2010

my daughter wrote her experience and then I wrote mine-as a parent. You have anger issues.

7th of Apr, 2010

I'm writing about three separate experiences with Sutherland. Last year, my friend started talking about getting into modeling and I thought "Maybe I'll try again and see if I have what it takes." I am slim, have a unique look but unfortunately lack the height that'll get me signed at the top agencies (and lack the luck of Devon Aoki and Kate Moss). Just for the hell of it I sent my pictures to a few places and only got a response from Sutherland. I went in for an interview and I admit I was tempted to pay for the classes. Sutherland's reputation in the modeling industry cannot be disputed. They have names in their roster... but in their other division. What I don't like about Sutherland is they make you feel special and like you have so much potential but you just need to be "refined". Ladies remember this, modeling is mostly "on the job training". Those are not my words but my friend who is a fashion photographer. So classes are a waste of time. What's more is that if Sutherland truly believes you have potential, they will sign you no strings attached. Myself and my friend were sold these bogus classes while an acquaintance of mine who is Eastern European, 5'10'' and super slim was signed "no questions asked". Talk about adding insult onto injury. So bottom line if Sutherland believes you have what it takes, they will sign you. I just think it's unfortunate that they are telling girls who clearly have no chance in hell booking jobs that they will have a chance if they take these classes. Don't do it. My acquaintance is booking runway shows and editorials all over the world. My friend and I? We're not with the agency because we refused to take the classes and the agency clearly didn't think we would make them money. I don't fault Sutherland for not accepting models who do not have potential, I fault them for giving girls false hope who clearly will never succeed in this industry.

7th of Apr, 2010

Another thing I seriously believe that if gullible young girls STOP taking their classes then Sutherland will have no choice but to discontinue their ridiculous practice. Really if you don't believe me or think I'm "bitter" because they didn't choose me, just look at hard cold statistics. Supermodels like Heidi Klum, Tyra Banks, Gisele Bundchen. "Anti-supermodel" Kate Moss was discovered in an airport when she was about 14. She had the look so Sarah Doukas (founder of Storm model management) worked with her. None of these women took classes and look at how famous they are. Of course Sutherland is going to say that their classes are worth something, they want to sell them. So for every antagonist posting which threatens their bread and butter, they are going to counter act your argument, trust me I'm in PR I know something about spin. It's all about manipulation. Really I would listen to all these girls who have actually gone through the classes and say they're useless. Then look at all their successful models.

Also ask questions. When I went in for an interview, my interviewer could only name about 7 (emphasizing one girl only) models who went through the classes and are successful. From what I understand there are more than 7 people who went through the classes. Ask them WHAT PERCENTAGE of people who went through the classes are booking jobs on a regular basis.