SunTrustBank / fraud

285 Peachtree center ave, Atlanta, GA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 8778844480

My son and I deposited a check into my sons checking acct. We were told once the funds post the check was cleared and was good to go. 2 weeks later we find out the check was a scam. At that point my son was contacted by a Timothy Bass, who demanding payment in full or my son and I would go to jail on felony check fraud charges. I tried to spk w/the gentleman and he wouldn't spk w/me. We contacted the bank the original check was drawn on and they are aware that there are checks like this out there, so much so, they had to change their banking info. We relayed all this info to Mr. Bass who still filed a report with the Hiram Police Dept who then advised us that they could issue felony bench warrants and we would both be charged with felonies. All correspondence with person I recvd the check from was provided to the police as well as the statement from the bank the check originated from. They are now saying it's up to Suntrust and this Mr. Bass. My son has contact Mr. Bass who is saying that he will not take payment in full from us that he will take it thru litigation because my son said in a previous statement that he didn't have the money. I've spoke with the corporate office who all understand that we are just as much a victim in this as they are yet this Mr. My son is 18 years old and for him to have a possible felony charge on his record for something we didn't do will ruin the rest of his life and his ability to have a career. I work in the finance field and any arrest will lead to my immediate termination from my position. Nobody at Suntrust seems to want to do anything. We did not know the check was a scam. If we had it would have never been deposited. I have since obtained the monies to pay back the acct yet Mr. Bass is refusing. It doesn't seem fair. I understand suntrust is a victim but so are we. Please help us. I have tried on several occasions to get to the office of the president with no luck. My info is supposedly being forwarded to him and I've sent a certified letter to Will Rogers, CEO, Timothy Bass and the local branch with no response. I can't imagine that there aren't other people out there going thru the same thing right now. I hope that someone can shed some light on this issue

Je
Sep 10, 2013

Comments

• Do
      Sep 11, 2013

Why aren't you litigating the person who sent your son the original check? That is where the fraud started. Who is Bass? Is he with SunTrust bank, or part of the original scam? GET YOURSELF AN ATTORNEY! Do NOT sign anything until you have counsel!

• Ct
      Mar 14, 2014

When a check is deposited into an account, drawn on another bank YOUR bank has no indication if that is a good check or bad check unless the issuing bank contacts them to let them know. Due to electronic filing of checks and other automated systems, hold times have been reduced greatly. Your bank cannot be held responsible for your lack of care in depositing that check. The responsibility actually lies with the recipient of the check to ensure that check is good. As far as the hold is concerned. Most banks do a 24 hour hold these days. That hold doesn't mean the check has been verified and is a valid check it just means the bank is trusting you that it is a 'good' check. If it isn't, they will take their money back from your account. Just keep in mind, when depositing checks if you don't know the person/company issuing the check and/or you don't have a valid reason for getting the check it PROBABLY is fraud.

Banks lose trillions of dollars each year to fraud. When people complain about bank fees and so forth they never consider that each time you call the bank, and most of them are 24 hour a day call centers now, you can get a live person. The banks spend trillions of dollars each year in marketing, research and so forth to bring all this to you in the form of Debit cards, ATM machines fully stocked with money, you can access your accounts, via phone, online, IPhone apps, automated services and so forth. The average person keeps less than $500.00 in their account on a daily basis, yet will expect to get all of this for free, plus free checks, and no monthly maintenance fees for handling your accounts. Then to top it off, you bring in a strange check that you couldn't be bothered to verify and you think the bank should just lose that money? I'm sorry but understanding the banking world isn't hard, just stop thinking everything should be free accept personal responsibility for your actions.

• Tr
      May 25, 2018

The banks are businesses...your arguments in their defense are only half-valid. The only way to know for sure that a check is "good" is to have someone cash it. That is the bank's business; if it releases funds prematurely it is their responsibility. Once upon a time checks were physically sent through the federal reserve system - hence the "hold" on funds until they were validated. No problem - you wait for the money; you don't spend it until you have it. With the advent of debit cards, you cannot spend money that is not in the account - that is the purpose for having them. The bank takes a calculated risk if it releases the funds before they are validated; the current apps are being used to exploit the banks' willingness to provide a service to the client that is not fully explained. This is fraud as well.