Sunshine Electronics / Terrible company!

1 Brooklyn, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 877-960-9473

Bought a Canon 40D kit, with two lenses, extra 'long life battery', 4 GIG high speed memory card, and a bunch of cheap crap they added in along with a 3 year warranty. They over billed me and never sent one lens, as well as sending a regular 4 gig card and a regular battery. Treated very poorly when I called in, and after leaving negative feedback I was contacted by a 'supposed' manager. He wanted to fix the problem and since I had paid by paypal he wanted me to remove negative feedback. He offered a actual 4 gig high speed card, and a discounted lens to make up for my trouble. Low and behold, no lens or card ever sent. This is the biggest scam company, stay away and watch out as they sell under multiple names.

Va

Comments

• Pe
      3rd of Jun, 2008

Shop Sunshine lied to me like I've never been lied to before. I couldn't believe it.

They are definitely a terrible store. I have read many stories about bad experiences with them.

I was told by ShopSunshine that if I bought the extended warranty for my SLR then brokerage and duty fees would be covered. Salesman Abe told me that duty fees were normally $80 as well as sensor cleaning (which would come free with this warranty).

The truth is,
    1. there are NO duty fees on digital cameras coming to Canada (from anywhere)
    2. sensor cleaning is available locally for ~$35

so I called them, wanting to refund the $239 warranty.

I was told again that duty and brokerage were covered. I replied with my new found knowledge about duty fees. Then I was quickly passed to a manager. Manager Chris told me that brokerage fees are usually $100-$150. Brokerage fees were a mere $7.

Customer service is terrible. I highly recommend that you shop elsewhere.

• Ze
      19th of Jun, 2008

My experience wasn't quite as bad, but they certainly personify the greedy capitalist corporation. The camera and lenses were great, but all the accessories are crap. None of the adjectives attributed to them deserve to be there. They threw "ultra high speed" on the generic CF cards just because they could. The camera bag is neither "deluxe" nor "weatherproof, " and in fact the corners of the camera compartment are directly open to falling rain no matter how you try to buckle the cover. The wide angle lens and 2xtelephoto lens both give the effect of a thick layer of fog, making them absolutely worthless. The tripod literally fell apart on it's first outing, the outside tube of the center column almost rolling into the water. They got me to leave positive feedback when I called to ask about the free bonus package (telephoto and 1 gig card) and they waived the $10 shipping in exchange for good feedback.

All in all I should have bought the body and better lenses (Canon rather than Sigma) here in Seoul for a hundred dollars less and spent the difference on decent accessories.

• Do
      2nd of Sep, 2009

I purchased a Canon XSI and multiple lens/accessory package from this company. First, they tried to send me Sigma lenses instead of Tamron. I caught that early enough and called before the item ever shipped. They said, "Oh. I'm sorry. I'll change that right now." As if that was an every day bait and switch.

I received the package (2 weeks later) with all of the accessories included, but I realized then that they had switched to a different brand of digital flash than I had ordered. I received a knock off brand instead. Also, the "deluxe" bag I was supposed to receive was not only the wrong size from what was in the advertisement, but it had absolutely no pockets or storage space in it like was promised.

I called them and spoke with manager "Marc Johnson" who emailed me the address and "return instructions". I followed the instructions to the letter. They received the returned package which was signed for by "S. Sax". That was two months ago. I have not received any response to my multiple emails and they won't return any of my phone calls.

I had big plans to recommend this company, but instead they have opened me up onto a warpath telling people not to trust them. I have already filed a complaint against them with the BBB of NYand left negative feedback on eBay.

This is a ridiculous scam. Because I am in Oklahoma, I am limited in being able to walk into their office and tell "Marc Johnson" what I think of his company. For now, I guess I am just screwed unless the BB can get something done!

-Mike B.